Knowledge is Power -PAWS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knowledge is Power -PAWS

Hi everyone, this is some info that is out there and I thought I would pass it on. I figure he more we know, the more things we can put in our sobriety toolkit to help us through the bad patches. This is pretty much aimed at those wishing to abstain. Many think that there is something wrong with them if they are not feeling totally on top of the world after a few weeks of abstaining. This helps to explain some of the symptoms.

PAWS -Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms explains what happens to some of us/mentally and physically through no volition of our own after quitting. It's knowledge, nothing to be alarmed about. It takes some time for our bodies to heal it self.

I can't do links but here is the address and an excerpt. i hope this is of use to some.

www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm

Post-acute withdrawal is a group of symptoms of addictive disease that occur as a result of abstinence from addictive chemicals. In the alcoholic/addict these symptoms appear seven to fourteen days into abstinence, after stabilization from the acute withdrawal.
    Post-acute withdrawal is a bio-psycho-social syndrome. It results from the combination of damage to the nervous system caused by alcohol or drugs and the psychosocial stress of coping with life without drugs or alcohol.
    Recovery causes a great deal of stress. Many chemically dependent people never learn to manage stress without alcohol and drug use. The stress aggravates the brain dysfunction and makes the symptoms worse. The severity of PAW depends upon two things: the severity of the brain dysfunction caused by the addiction and the amount of psychosocial stress experienced in recovery.
    The symptoms of PAW typically grow to peak intensity over three to six months after abstinence begins. The damage is usually reversible, meaning the major symptoms go away in time if proper treatment is received. So there is no need to fear. With proper treatment and effective sober living, it is possible to learn to live normally in spite of the impairments. But the adjustment does not occur rapidly. Recovery from the nervous system damage usually required from six to 24 months with the assistance of a healthy recovery program. Recent research is showing that for some recovering people the symptoms of PAW often occur at regular "moon cycle" intervals and without apparent outside stressors. Often those 30, 60, 90, 120, 180, and 1 & 2-year sobriety dates seem to be "triggering" times for PAW symptoms to increase. People recovering from long term opiate and stimulant use often have PAW symptoms for no apparent reason for up to 10 years after they have stopped using their drug of choice. Often PAW symptoms appear to come and go without apparent reason and without any specific pattern. Individuals who intend to have consistent long-term recovery must learn to recognize these symptoms and learn how to manage them.

Love,
    Padme

AF 21, March 2010

"First say to yourself what 
you would be; and then do 
what you have to do."
-Epictetus

Knowledge is Power -PAWS

Interesting padme. I guess if one is already abs, it helps explain what is happening in the mind and body. If one is not abs, it is not motivating because it sounds so hard. I wonder how topa or campral would fit into the equation.

Thanks for posting the info.

Comment

Knowledge is Power -PAWS

I'm 30+ AF. I have been really less motivated lately. I obviously haven't drank, but the initial enthusiasm is gone. Plus, Joe and I started exercising, etc, and neither of us feel like doing it after the first couple of weeks.

I reaaally wanted a drink last nite. Hell, let's be honest, many drinks, main reason I didn't Evan was there, didn't even say anything about our NOT drinking, this fed into my silly mind, see he doesn't even notice, so why not?

I don't know if it's PAWS or what, but I feel discouraged more than I have for a long while.:dunno:

Comment

Knowledge is Power -PAWS

Thanks for that info Padme.
        Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Knowledge is Power -PAWS

You know lucky I wondered the same thing. I think the topa may help with some of the symptoms, but I'm not a Dr. I do think the whole program outlined by Roberta Jewell; the hypno CD's, Supplements, exercise & topa is designed to minimize not only the cravings but support the reconnection of healthy pathways in the brain. Th PAW info was on the long term ab's board and I had run across in 2001 and I did hesitate to post it because to a person just contemplating quitting this kind of info could make one want to throw up their hands and say what's the use? Also I am concerned when people read this kind of thing they can actually project symptoms that may not even occur for them, so yes, this is a very mixed bag.

While I don't agree with everything in Terence Gorski's book. I guess the tipping point for me is that information, well researched information on alcoholism, has the 'potential' to alleviate the onus we put on ourselves and the self blame that we are some how not doing this right, that we have a character flaw when what 'some' are actually experiencing is normal healing behavior due to long term use of alcohol and that it does pass. Learning to be patient and having the science to back up that patience increases my success and hopefully the info will help another that is under the misconception that the day we quit in 10 days all is well. Yes, we do feel better but it is like recovering from a serious illness and it takes time for the mind and body to heal. I guess I'm saying that for me I've given myself a year for all this healing and mind/body stuff to shake itself out and then I'll reevaluate. I felt crappy drinking so I might as well feel crappy not drinking...but I'm not feeling bad about the decision and most days are really great. (not crappy at all, lol!, I'm probably still in the 'pink cloud phase') ...

Speaking of which... hart, sweetie, you are awesome Some of the Pink Cloud may have evaporated and your wondering why did I do this again? But you are doing great. have you done anything special for yourself to celebrate your 1 month milestone? Just for you? With all the money your saving from not drinking, I personally, would head for the nearest massage table. But do something that celebrates the wonderfulness of you and the new life you have started. ((hugs))
          Padme

AF 21, March 2010

"First say to yourself what 
you would be; and then do 
what you have to do."
-Epictetus

Comment

Working...
          X