No announcement yet.

Stuck and struggling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chiming in on AB. I take it and have for quite some time. When I drink is when I've talked myself out of taking the pill. I have NO SE except when I drink and HOLY MOLY the headache makes me think my head will explode, honestly. That pain is unreal. Other wise, I can eat anything and use cleaning products which I was afraid of in the beginning. Now in saying that please realize I do actually only take a 1/2 dose daily. It's so expensive and even with the 1/2 dose, drinking rocks my world! I like AB because it takes the option of drinking completely off the table....as long as I take it. It's been a life saver for me.

So, Idefine, what's your plan at 30 days? What will change at that point?
    The easy way to quit drinking?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

Originally posted by Overit-still View Post
      Chiming in on AB. I take it and have for quite some time. When I drink is when I've talked myself out of taking the pill. I have NO SE except when I drink and HOLY MOLY the headache makes me think my head will explode, honestly. That pain is unreal. Other wise, I can eat anything and use cleaning products which I was afraid of in the beginning. Now in saying that please realize I do actually only take a 1/2 dose daily. It's so expensive and even with the 1/2 dose, drinking rocks my world! I like AB because it takes the option of drinking completely off the table....as long as I take it. It's been a life saver for me.
      Great post Overit - Why is it so difficult to find concise posts like yours? - Maybe I am not looking in the right place - Chiming in is positively allowed (I trust Idef) and encoraged

So glad AB is working for you - The point I was trying to make was that I feel (having not been near AB) that the prospect of the results of drinking would not necessarily be a deterant - Maybe after my first reaction I might change my view? - Who knows - What I do know is that different drugs work differently for different people - No one fits all -

For my own nosiness have - Is this all you have tried?

Regards

Bacman
      I am not a Doctor - I am an alcoholic.
      Thoughts expressed here are my own, often poorly put together and littered with atrocious grammar and spelling.

Comment

Bac, it's interesting but I had never heard of baclofen before joining MWO! Antabuse goes back quite a number of decades here in the US. As a teen I thought it was only for those "hard-core" drunks out in the middle of skid row. Now here I am taking the stuff!

Don't think that I haven't thought about slugging down a cold one to "test" this stuff out! I was in the throes of that kind of thinking when I used the facial toner and broke out in hives. If the small amount of alcohol in the toner was enough to give me a burning rash, I frankly didn't want to test it further. Not only that, but I really do want to reach 30 days. I remind myself that I'm taking this stuff for a reason, and I'm doing this for me, so it doesn't make much sense to run a so-called test.

I have also tried Naltrexone, which I believe was originally used to treat narcotic addictions but it was discovered that it could also help with alcohol cravings. It also supposedly would block the euphoric feelings. For the short amount of time I took it, it may have slightly decreased any cravings, but definitely not significant enough, nor did it seem to block any of the effects of alcohol, much to my satisfaction! LOL I had no SEs to speak of. But, it didn't help me so i stopped taking it. It might work for someone else, but it didn't for me.

Bac, I appreciate your curiosity and your well-wishes and support! Thank you! I think it would be awesome for us both to get to 30, and I think it's most definitely do-able, so let's just do it! What say you? See you on roll-call tomorrow, and PM me as well if you think I can be of any help, or just for the commaradarie.

Overit, thanks for your input! That is exactly why I like the Antabuse, because it removes the choice to drink. I could choose to drink, but from what I've heard about the reactions, it's not something I want to experience. My heart rhythms are already pretty whacked and can be scary, so I don't need that to be exacerbated any further by taking antabuse and drinking.

Yes, the stuff is expensive! Cheaper than booze, but still ... you can't get drunk on antabuse! But seriously, my doc prescribed 2 pills a day for two weeks, then cut back to 1 a day. I've been doing just 1 a day ... maybe I'll cut back to 1/2 like you, overit. Or maybe 1 every other day. It's an option.

Overit, as far as what am i going to do after 30 days? I don't honestly know. Get drunk? Just once (ha!)? Try moderation(ha!)? I won't lie, I know that either one of those plans are not viable for me. I've tried these things before many times and failed. Why would this time be any different? I can say that although this is not easy, even being on antabuse it is not easy, that I am enjoying the insight that I am gleaning from being sober. I am thankful to be seeing a competent therapist at this time, that there are so many helpful forums for so many areas of self-improvement (MWO high on that list) and that my mindset is aimed toward self-discovery. Because that's what's happening and I like it! When day 30 passes whatever I decide to do won't be decided over night. I guess time will tell at this point.

But the journey goes on! And I am surrounded by excellent company! Let's keep moving forward, shall we?
        "Don't be ashamed of your story. It will inspire others".
        “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by idefineme View Post
          it's been a while since I've been here. You know, I want to quit drinking because I know it's bad for me, given how much and how often I drink. But I DON'T want to quit drinking because I've come to rely on it, it helps me relax and probably escape my loneliness. I asked my doctor to subscribe antabuse, which he did. I haven't taken it yet because after reading the side-effects, well, it kind of scares me. Like, you could DIE from the shit! I don't know. I just REALLY struggle with knowing I should stop and not wanting to. It's really become a crutch, and honestly thinking about never drinking again just takes any desire to stop away. I'm just really stuck and struggling. How to take the proverbial first step? I'm afraid this is going to take somebody who really hears my inner struggle. Open for some deep-seated advice. Thanks in advance..
          You just made your first step when you realized that there is a problem. You're on the right way brother, just keep it up. You may consider going to AA near your place for some advice. You may consider reading this article. The worst remedy for depression. I hope you'll learn something from it.

Comment

Hi Idef
            Ha Ha - I got here by googling "baclofen for the alcoholic" or the like (i cant remember - I was pissed at the time) - In truth I expect I was looking for help before I had done much research

Originally posted by IDEF
            Bac, I appreciate your curiosity and your well-wishes and support! Thank you! I think it would be awesome for us both to get to 30, and I think it's most definitely do-able, so let's just do it! What say you? See you on roll-call tomorrow, and PM me as well if you think I can be of any help, or just for the commaradarie.
            Thats a deal

I get the Antabuse deal - But I am still worried the prospect of making me ill, will not be enough - Having not taken it of course my interpretation of "what" I might feel like is pure conjecture and I might be talking complete bollox - lol

As I said before It is no ones decision but yours what you do after 30 days but if I were you (which I am not - obviously) I would go for another 30 days AF - There is IMO too much telling people what is best for them going around - For me I am an alcoholic, I cannot (dare not) moderate - I know it will lead back to the bottom of the snake

Regards

Bacman

Originally posted by idefineme View Post
            Bac, it's interesting but I had never heard of baclofen before joining MWO! Antabuse goes back quite a number of decades here in the US. As a teen I thought it was only for those "hard-core" drunks out in the middle of skid row. Now here I am taking the stuff!

Don't think that I haven't thought about slugging down a cold one to "test" this stuff out! I was in the throes of that kind of thinking when I used the facial toner and broke out in hives. If the small amount of alcohol in the toner was enough to give me a burning rash, I frankly didn't want to test it further. Not only that, but I really do want to reach 30 days. I remind myself that I'm taking this stuff for a reason, and I'm doing this for me, so it doesn't make much sense to run a so-called test.

I have also tried Naltrexone, which I believe was originally used to treat narcotic addictions but it was discovered that it could also help with alcohol cravings. It also supposedly would block the euphoric feelings. For the short amount of time I took it, it may have slightly decreased any cravings, but definitely not significant enough, nor did it seem to block any of the effects of alcohol, much to my satisfaction! LOL I had no SEs to speak of. But, it didn't help me so i stopped taking it. It might work for someone else, but it didn't for me.

Overit, thanks for your input! That is exactly why I like the Antabuse, because it removes the choice to drink. I could choose to drink, but from what I've heard about the reactions, it's not something I want to experience. My heart rhythms are already pretty whacked and can be scary, so I don't need that to be exacerbated any further by taking antabuse and drinking.

Yes, the stuff is expensive! Cheaper than booze, but still ... you can't get drunk on antabuse! But seriously, my doc prescribed 2 pills a day for two weeks, then cut back to 1 a day. I've been doing just 1 a day ... maybe I'll cut back to 1/2 like you, overit. Or maybe 1 every other day. It's an option.

Overit, as far as what am i going to do after 30 days? I don't honestly know. Get drunk? Just once (ha!)? Try moderation(ha!)? I won't lie, I know that either one of those plans are not viable for me. I've tried these things before many times and failed. Why would this time be any different? I can say that although this is not easy, even being on antabuse it is not easy, that I am enjoying the insight that I am gleaning from being sober. I am thankful to be seeing a competent therapist at this time, that there are so many helpful forums for so many areas of self-improvement (MWO high on that list) and that my mindset is aimed toward self-discovery. Because that's what's happening and I like it! When day 30 passes whatever I decide to do won't be decided over night. I guess time will tell at this point.

But the journey goes on! And I am surrounded by excellent company! Let's keep moving forward, shall we?
            I am not a Doctor - I am an alcoholic.
            Thoughts expressed here are my own, often poorly put together and littered with atrocious grammar and spelling.

Comment

Don't sell yourself short, Bac ... I've heard that if you drink while on antabuse that you won't drink again. I've also heard that the more you drink the worse the reaction will be. It can be deadly to do so. Please take that into consideration if you ever contemplate taking the stuff.

Thanks again for your good intentions. More than likely I will decide to continue with sobriety. It's been good to me so far And I agree with you, there is too much of people telling others what is good for them. People mean well, but sometimes coming across as my way or the highway can drive others away.

Have a fabulous day 19, my friend!
              Last edited by idefineme; January 19, 2016, 09:26 AM.
              "Don't be ashamed of your story. It will inspire others".
              “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Good morning!

Balc-yes that is all I have tried and it works! there is just no option, trust me. Yes, if you tried, JUST ONCE, to drink on AB, you will be sorry. The pain is out of this world, and you turn beet red, like, you can't let anyone see you, and you can't breathe because all of the sinuses in your head are so swollen and yes, YOU CAN DIE! So, that's why I take it, first thing in the AM before my mind can start talking to me. Then it's over. And, depending on how long you've been on it and how much is built up in your system is how long you have to wait to drink again. Possibly up to 7-14 days. Why does it work for me? I think because at this point, the addiction is in my head, it's not physical, yet. So, I just have to rewire my brain, my body will follow.

IDM-I toyed with the pill every other day but I realized I am a creature of habit so taking half EVERY day at the same time is what I do. Also, by missing one day, it allowed to door to be open just a crack as to drinking. Like I said, with me, it's all a head game. counting days is also a win/lose for me. I like to see how far I've come but then I think what's my reward when I get to ##? I can never go back. I've tried 10000 time to do it differently and I always end up in the same mess making the same stupid promises. I hope you stay encouraged IDM.

So I'm back at the beginning because of a slip and then Nyquil so I'm with you guys. Take care and have a great day!
                The easy way to quit drinking?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

Working...
                X