Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Here and just out of the hospital

Hello All
    Its been a week since I have been out of the hospital, I was drinking almost the entire big bottle of gin a day for a week straight. Wow the hospital was a bad experience, they treated me like I was just a drunk. Very rude the main doctor said I could ask for Ativan when needed, not like I kept asking but when the shakes came on it hurt bad. They were rushing to get me out of there.
    Yesterday I went to see my primary doctor and she ordered a blood test and on Saturday she called and said you have very high liver enzymes. Now im worried, I still have no appetite, can barely drink anything without dry heaving and still have mild shakes.
    I wanted to ask if anyone knows of high liver enzymes and should I go back to the hospital? My primary care Doc said they never should have released you until they were normal. I would hate to go back to that hospital.

Jason - welcome. I'm sorry but I just don't know. Can your primary doctor recommend a different hospital? Please ask your doctor what she thinks you should do.
    "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Originally posted by Jason919 View Post
      Hello All
      Its been a week since I have been out of the hospital, I was drinking almost the entire big bottle of gin a day for a week straight. Wow the hospital was a bad experience, they treated me like I was just a drunk. Very rude the main doctor said I could ask for Ativan when needed, not like I kept asking but when the shakes came on it hurt bad. They were rushing to get me out of there.
      Yesterday I went to see my primary doctor and she ordered a blood test and on Saturday she called and said you have very high liver enzymes. Now im worried, I still have no appetite, can barely drink anything without dry heaving and still have mild shakes.
      I wanted to ask if anyone knows of high liver enzymes and should I go back to the hospital? My primary care Doc said they never should have released you until they were normal. I would hate to go back to that hospital.
      Hi Jason. Welcome.

So sounds like you've been off the booze a week then? If you can't hold food down, can you at least get a multi-vitamin in? Hopefully you start to feel better real soon. Might be an idea to speak with your doc again about stuff like any nutritional deficiencies, other possible physical health issues, and a plan for where best you go from here.

Keep tabs on your mental health and how you are feeling too friend.

Keep us posted. G

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Jason,
        Do you live with anyone who can help you? How about asking your doc what kind of diet would be best for your health right now. Maybe he/she can make some good suggestions. Stop in the Newbie's Nest and introduce yourself. There are lots of wise people who may be able to give good advice on this. Take care and drink lots of water.
        Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Hi Jason, I was exactly where you are a year ago. I went to a couple of emergency rooms too and was treated like crap. One ER was so bad I could actually here them talking about me and how people need to return to God...they cancelled my admission for detox and wanted to hold me for psychiatric evaluation all because they did not know a damn thing about Dts...thankfully I ended up in a more compassionate er who prescribed be benzodiazepines which helped me sleep. I forced my self to eat eggs with cheese and soup. It will get better, let the misery you are in sink in and be your motivation to quit and never ever have to feel that way again.Absolute hell. As for the liver enzymes, iam not an expert but iam sure they will resolve as alcohol leaves the body...milk thistle may be very helpful right now.
          Last edited by lizker; October 25, 2015, 09:10 PM.
          Its for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then and DO NOT let yourself be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Gal 5:1

Comment

Thanks for the replies. One ER nurse actually said "is this the drunk guy"
            Just wishing it would get better, I keep telling myself it will get better tomorrow but still feel like crap. I have been eating chocolate. Shaved and took a shower too. They gave me Librium to take home but it doesn't stop the shakes. I drank a lot in that week, but I never had it last this long.

Comment

Too much sugar is actually a bad Idea as right now. You may need to load up on minerals, enzymes, amino acids, vitamins...if you have a blend, you can whip up a green shake that iam sure will be very helpful....you can do fresh or frozen spinach, handful of broccoli, mixed berries, any juice of your liking and yogurt....this combo has all the nutrients you need right now... you can also chug down two cups of v8 veggies juice, it worked for me. Hope you feel better...
              Its for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then and DO NOT let yourself be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Gal 5:1

Comment

I think it's unrealistic of your Doctor to say that you shouldn't have been released until your liver enzymes were back to normal. this can take several months if you've stopped after drinking heavily for a long period

try to stay hydrated & eat healthily even if you have to force yourself. also take a multivitamin supplement. try to avoid refined/added sugar as this will stress your liver whilst it's trying to heal itself

-badger

Comment

I didn't think of that, that it would take months to get the enzymes back to normal. Just tried to eat some greens and a sandwich, I almost threw up. This sucks. Cravings are bad. I am getting some helpful info from this site.

Comment

Working...
                  X