Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only a little more?.................

:new:

Another newbie here - am 'sipping' a white wine as we speak and hoping I can be satisfied with only a little more. That's the problem - sometimes its just a little more that I want...and want again. I think there is much wisdom and grace at this site/forum/MYO group thing and I am excited to have found you all today.

I have been wondering and wondering if I really need to do something about how I drink.....familiar? I just did not want to find an AA meeting, or have to go that route. This site, and WOL is refreshing....seems free and real.

I watched my Mom drink herself to the other side and now know from info gathered that all the symptoms she had for the last 10 yrs of her life were related to her drinking. I really don't want that for me, or my daughter, but it seems more familiar now that I'm just past 50. When those hormones changed, my concern for my habits escalated because it seemed my thinking/brain changed. Have been doing a little therapy and they keep wanting me to explore the "ADD thing" . This morning it hit me that maybe these ADD type behaviors are related to my age and consumption......anyone ever hear of a relationship between alcohol and ADD type behaviors??

Anyway, thanks for letting me begin my journey with you all and tell a bit about me. I have read some and feel good about coming to this place. its a first time I have admitted that my relationship with wine is stronger than it should be. Thanks for any help that comes.....
    "Go Placidly Amid the Noise and Haste"

Welcome go2goal,
    If you are wondering and you have found this place then chances are you need to be here. If you haven't done so read the excerpts from Roberta Jewell's book and then download the pdf version or order it and read it. Then you can decide what parts of the program suit your needs.

This is a great place, the support and people here are the best you will find anywhere. The best part is you will find hope here from day one.

Again, welcome.

Melissa
    If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

I have ADD and do have a problem with occasional binge drinking. Therapists often ask if there is a substance problem because many of us learn to use these things to medicate ourselves. I have learned to just live with mine and try to concentrate because I have tried meds and did not like the way they make me feel.. Honestly it is funny that I am a drinker because meds scare me, I do take an anti depressant, but that just helps keep from being too anxious.
      Here we go again.

AL FREE since Saturday the 14th of March 2009

Comment

Hi go2goal,

I understand there's a relationship between anxiety and depression and alcohol, but i am not sure about ADD. Interesting concept, maybe i can research that one.

Unfortunately, you're habit sounds all too familiar. It is all a matter of deciding how much you want to give up (not sure about mod as it won't work for me) and going for it! Once you get past that first time where you don't 'want a little more', you will be surprised. It is easier going from there (not underestimating though, i am figuratively speaking), it's just those psychological barriers you have to get past.

Anyway, good luck and keep posting here... there are all sorts of wonderful people.
        One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

Hi Go2, we are all here for similar reasons. Keep reading and posting and a huge big Welcome!!
          Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Welcome go2goal! You're in the right place - we've all been there, I certainly have. It's amazing how much the bottom of the glass/bottle speaks to you - "Just a little more won't hurt, you'll stop after the next one ... and on and on"

We are all in this together and can all take this journey!

Comment

Welcome! I am not sure about the ADD, but someone I'm sure here will have the answer.

This place has been very beneficial to me and many others, the people are pretty fabulous and are always willing to help eachother out.

Comment

Hi go2goal and a warm welcome to MWO! I've been here since end of April - its a great community to be a part of and you did the right thing posting because I've found that to be the biggest help. My mam is also an alcoholic and is currently on the last of her 9 lives. A big motivation for me is that I don't want to end up like her. Good luck and I look forward to following your progress!! Janicexx
                AF since 9 May 2012
                Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

Welcome to you Go2goal, you have found a site that will support you, encourage you and help in any way we can as we are all in the same boat! Read alot and post often. I joined in Feb and this has saved me. I really mean that. Good luck. Bella xx

Comment

Welcome to a wonderful place!

I suspect there is a link to ADD, but KNOW there is one to Bi-polar - particularly for women. Sometimes the symptoms for ADD and bi-polar can appear the same....you might want to check it out.

F.
                    It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

Hey everyone - thanks for all the posts! It was a welcome surprise when I checked the board this AM and found that people actually posted and welcomed me! Whatever that feeling is certainly is why wine became such a loyal friend - I don't expect others to stay close to me.

Well, I made it through the evening stopping wine several hours BEFORE going to bed. It's not that I don't do that frequently, but not that often, either. Usually, I have a glass of wine while getting dinner going (it makes that task so much more enjoyable) and then I finish the bottle through the night. I have found that if I get the more expensive fine wines, I can drink less, but on the 'right night', I will still finish that, too. Well, that's my admission, now public for the first time. Wow, it feels good to get this out in the open and not worry about the shame. I know I have found a great place. I will have to spend some time in the posts. Thanks again.

Comment

Nice to have here. White wine is my drink of choice to and its not easy to stop several hours before bed so well done, may it be the first of many steps towards a better life.
                        Suz
                        Happy to be sober since 07 Sept 09.

Comment

Hi Mum -

Well, 2nd nite and I am not stopping after 3.....on 4 ........got a white and hard to not keep enjoying.....we have our older daughter graduating this year from HS...AND ARE having her OPEN HOUSE ON SUNDAY.....I'm a bit stressed.....doing it all on my own...no caterer...no friends or family tro come help me....just my husband and me....something's wrong. Every other one we have been to (several) has been catered or there is much family /friends support.

So, this might not be the week to make drastic changes.....

Thanks for listening to anyone who is there.....................

Comment

Go2
                            Well, just make a small change then until the pressure is off, but don't go away. Keep reading and getting encouragement. Maybe just cut down by one or don't open the 2nd bottle. Whatever...we are glad you are here and know that you have to do this when you are ready.

Stay close,

Melissa
                            If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

Thank you for the encouragement - 4 was it last night and tonite is 0, just because I would like those AF days - there is much more to do - read, take a bath, scrapbooking.....

I look forward to time to read MWO book and get supplements. I know this is a good place.
                              :thanks:

Comment

Working...
                              X