Feel like im breaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feel like im breaking

I have been sober for a year and thought I was fine but im now 3 weeks into being off methadone and I have been depressed, unmotivated and having panic attacks and trouble sleeping and now the cravings for alcohol have come back full force. My boyfriend is very supportive and I have been fighting it but its getting harder each day and I dont know what to do I feel like Im losing my mind sometimes Ive been feeling like this world is just a dream my thoughts wont stop racing and have even thought about suicide a couple times which scares me. I cant take this anymore and I dont know what to do anymore or what is happening to me. Any help/suggestions/comments would be very appreciated

Breaking, Im sorry you are in deep water. Are you under the care of a Dr for the methadone cessation? Maybe you are having withdrawals from that, Im sure you have googled it or checked out some discussion forums for stopping methadone. I know when I stopped taking antidepressants it was horrible. Come join us in the Newbies nest, we are good listeners. I do know one thing, AL doesnt improve anything!! Please hang in there! Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

thank you for your reply.I was seeing a doctor as i was been weened off of it but once i stopped entirely i didnt see them again. Iknow methadone withdrawal lasts a long time but after three weeks its getting worse not better and im even more scared of afterwards when I have to cope on my own. the physical withdrawal i can deal with ive still been going to work but the mental stuff is whats getting to me and im scared it wont go away after this is over..

Comment

Hi breaking and welcome. I am thinking maybe it is the methadone too although i am no dr by any means. Can you taper off the methadone or see a gp if you havent done so. You have done so well not drinking for a year and drinking again will only make things worse. I know when i stopped drinking i wanted to do everything in a day to be "normal" but now i realise that it takes time, a long time to get the life we want. Its not worth putting yourself through this if you can go back on the methadone and taper off it. Please go and see a gp and take good care of yourself.
        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

It took me 6 weeks to get over my withdrawals from Cymbalta, I couldnt believe it. I had shakes, sweats, anxiety and depression, BAD depression! I took solace when I read that others had experienced the same thing as I was. I googled 'cymbalta withdrawals' and found all kinds of discussion forums on it. I stopped taking it suddenly and didnt realize you werent supposed to do that. I didnt feel very good for a couple weeks, then I got heart palpitations and sweats and went to the ER where it was deduced that this was withdrawals. As I say, I had symptoms for 4 weeks after that. It is a process! I hope you feel better soon, please hang in!!!
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

thank you. i havealready tapered down and am off it completely for 3 weeks now though. but no longer seeing a doctor since the last dose.

thank you Byrd, i am hanging on its just everything going on mentally im having trouble with. considering going to see a doctor about it but worried theyll just write it off or try to send me somewhere.

Comment

I found this interesting bit under 'Methadone withdrawals"

The amount of time you experience methadone withdrawal symptoms varies, lasting up to a few weeks or longer. You’ll likely experience the worst of the symptoms during your first week of withdrawal. Unfortunately, it can take longer for your body to cope without methadone than it did to become addicted to the opiate.

Part 4 of 6: Help
              Help for Methadone Withdrawal

It’s best not to go through methadone withdrawal alone. A doctor can provide specific treatments to ease withdrawal symptoms. These treatments significantly improve your odds for recovery. Buprenorphine and clonidine are drugs used to shorten the withdrawal process and even alleviate some of the related symptoms.
              In severe cases of addiction, your doctor may prescribe methadone. Though it may seem that more of the opiate may make things worse, guided methadone therapy can help you reduce your opiate use over time. The process will continue until you no longer require methadone at all.
              Due to the high risk of abuse and overdose, methadone therapy is only used if you’re enrolled in a government-approved treatment program. A physician will monitor your methadone intake and response to ensure that the withdrawal process is safe and effective.
              Group support can be crucial for long-term recovery. You may find little empathy among family members because they can’t relate to your situation. Finding support from fellow recovering addicts can help you find your voice and stay on track. The support group program SMART (self-management and recovery training) is also helpful for opiate addicts.

Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

yes was thinking about seeing a psychiatrist now im off it. been self medicating with lorazepam but know thats not good either whats going on in my head scares me but your right drinking will make it worse but the cravings are constant

Comment

BD- this stuff you are going through will pass. As you know, alcohol won't help so it's pointless to even consider it. Be good to yourself and let some time drift by.

Comment

I've just in my 4th day from alcohol and smoking withdrawl so don't go there if you want to make things worse

Comment

Hi and congrats on going a year without alcohol. Iam no expert but its like you substituted one drug for another and your body has to adjust to you no longer having the drug. I'm a stronger believer that the best way to get through these things is naturally healing our bodies with good nutrition and exercise. Can you go to a gym or do any physical exercise? Try a nice big ol romaine lettuce salad, with chicken or fish daily. Try to eat 5 to eight servings of vegetables and fruit and lean protein. These will balance your neurotransmitters. Good luck and whatever you do, don't go back to the pit of alcohol or methadone or any other drug. It's gonna lead right to where you are right now.
                      Last edited by lizker; February 15, 2016, 08:35 PM.
                      Its for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then and DO NOT let yourself be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Gal 5:1

Comment

Breaking down. Please don't wait. See your Doctor and by all means see a health care professional. What you described can't be helped by white knuckleing and a self help website alone. There is no shame in seeking professional help.
                        Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Working...
                        X