Trying to break the downward spiral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to break the downward spiral

I used to look forward to a Friday night drink. In April last year I lost one of my cats. I started to drink more than usual, drinking Friday and Saturday a bottle at a time. Then my mother passed away in August. The drinking got worse, I even started drinking on week nights. It hasn't effected mu work or social life and I don't drink until I pass out. But I drink a lot, and when I start I cant stop. It's starting to affect my health and weight. I tried just stopping, but the desire to drink when I get home from work is too much. I have started using declinol, and I have been alcohol free now for two whole weeks, so it is working well. Now to keep it going.

Gosh I remember those days Ms Kitty.
    Maybe also get yourself some vitamins and natural tools to fight the cravings along with the meds? Check the store here?
    Sorry about your mom & kitty.
    (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Welcome aboard and congrats on those 2 weeks! 2 great links in my signature line, hope to see you in the nest! There IS life after AL, and its GREAT! Byrdie
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

From a long time alcoholic one piece of advice I'd give is "quit while you're ahead". Alcoholism is a sneaky bastard and once your stuck in that trap for years, the physical withdrawal issues pale in comparison to the difficulties controlling cravings. I long for the days when all I had to do was control cravings, rather than knowing I'll be shaking and sick the next day without consuming my medicine the night before (which barely even does anything for me anymore).

Comment

misskitty, well done on two weeks. The first big step is noticing the downward spiral and taking a positive step to change it. x

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Comment

Thanks Eloise. I have a doctors appointment this week to get some bloods and see if I need anything more than the supplements I am already taking. The declinol is herbal and has vitamins in it to help with cravings, I'm more concerned about the state my liver might be in now.

Comment

Thanks, I spent Saturday with a very painful stomach and I do wonder whether its a mild withdrawal symptom, or liver damage. There has been times when an upset stomach has been fixed by a glass of wine. Not a good sign.
              I do hope you can continue to recover and eventually get by without meds.

Comment

Hi misskitty,

Well done on the two weeks. I'm really sorry about your mom and kitty. My drinking started out how you describe too. I'm in NZ too so we are in the same time zone. It's good your getting bloods done, if anything to ease your mind. I've never tried declinol. Do you need a script? I'm glad your here it sounds like you are still might be in a grieving process. When my drinking kinda got some steam years ago I was really lonely and after work.. I found it very hard not to drink. I was dealing with a broken heart over a breakup.. My life changed eventually but my drinking problem didn't change with it. So I eventually had to stop. And then learn some more about how I can't drink again.. and stop again. It does just make everything harder and it's terrible for our health.
                AF January 7, 2018

Comment

Thanks Choices. The declinol is a herbal supplement I found on-line. Its a bit expensive but when I compare it to the amount I spend on wine, it's not really. It stops the cravings and has been working well. As for drinking out of loneliness, a suffer a bit of that as well, even though I actually have a partner. We don't talk about much. I'm trying to find things to keep me occupied on week nights. I am hoping I can eventually go back to drinking moderately, but will have to see, at least I know the warning signs now: if I can't stop after one, it's all over. The declinol comes in different strengths, for cutting back or stopping altogether.

Comment

Miss Kitty,

How is it going with the declinol? I hadn't heard of it before and looked at the website tonight. It seems like it really works. Have you had success with it?

Comment

Good to see you here MissKitty.
                      No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Originally posted by misskitty View Post
                        Thanks Eloise. I have a doctors appointment this week to get some bloods and see if I need anything more than the supplements I am already taking. The declinol is herbal and has vitamins in it to help with cravings, I'm more concerned about the state my liver might be in now.
                        How did the blood tests go misskitty? Sorry, didnt see your post earlier.
                        I hope all went well and you have nothing more to worry about except forgetting about drinking!
                        (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Working...
                        X