Direction on how this works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Direction on how this works

I posted in another spot. I'm not sure how this works other than I'm fairly certain I need to be here. THis is my first go, after a traumatic head injury due to yep...drinking. Known for a while and I'm ready to do this.. AF = alcohol free? Days is days since last drink?

Posts are in reverse order of newest? ROll call - please explain.

Head injury was almost 3 months ago and I had "three" just one beer scenarios. Obviously, I'm like eating Lays Potato chips cuz one turned into several.. Lost count. So I tried to go to an AA meeting on Friday, got to the site and couldn't go in. That why I'm trying this site. Hoping to get the support that I need. Hubby not on board so I'm fighting my way though pretty much alone...

Some insight on how to make the MWO work best and keep myself on track. Last slip up was 7 days. SO I'm thinking I'm 7 days AF??

Definite newbie here so.... Please feel free to help me navigate... KG

KGBEME, you mention that you don't have any support. You've got to find it. I'm not saying it isn't possible to get sober without it, but it is highly unlikely. MWO is a great resource, but IMO, it shouldn't be your only source of support. You need to find friends and/or family who can hold you accountable. When you're jonesing for a drink you can't rely on someone to reply to a post here at a time you need to be talking to someone the most. I say give AA a try. If it's a good meeting, you will find love and support. After all, everyone is (or rather should be) there for the same reason. The twelve steps have enabled me to have chemical-free serenity in my life and I have developed close friendships with people who text or call me every day. Or, if you have family you can rely on, take advantage of it. My alcoholism and prescription drug addiction left me without a wife and later girlfriend and with relatives who don't want to speak to me and few friends. I would probably be in a drunken stupor right now if it weren't for the support I get from my AA family. Again, MWO is a great resource and I post here regularly, but I don't think it can be your sole source of support right now, especially with only a week sober. Please don't take this as being condescending; it's just a reflection of my own experience and reality.

EDIT: I would also recommend seeing both a psychiatrist and therapist or counselor regularly. The psychiatrist can help with underlying mental health issues (once my depression and anxiety were medically addressed, the need for mood altering chemicals became moot) and a professional addiction therapist and counselor can provide you with better coping strategies. This is in addition to what you may be able to pick up on in AA meetings, should you choose to go that route. There's a lot of BS in AA meetings, but there is also a lot of collective wisdom in those rooms.
    Last edited by aihfl; May 1, 2016, 12:39 PM.
    First, a man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes the man. --Chinese proverb

Comment

Originally posted by KGBEME View Post
      I posted in another spot. I'm not sure how this works other than I'm fairly certain I need to be here. THis is my first go, after a traumatic head injury due to yep...drinking. Known for a while and I'm ready to do this.. AF = alcohol free? Days is days since last drink?

Posts are in reverse order of newest? ROll call - please explain.

Head injury was almost 3 months ago and I had "three" just one beer scenarios. Obviously, I'm like eating Lays Potato chips cuz one turned into several.. Lost count. So I tried to go to an AA meeting on Friday, got to the site and couldn't go in. That why I'm trying this site. Hoping to get the support that I need. Hubby not on board so I'm fighting my way though pretty much alone...

Some insight on how to make the MWO work best and keep myself on track. Last slip up was 7 days. SO I'm thinking I'm 7 days AF??

Definite newbie here so.... Please feel free to help me navigate... KG
      Let me see if I can help you navigate this site!
      AF is alcohol free, you are correct! Day 7 sounds right, you know which day was Day 1, so just take it from there. By the way, here is your prize for that! :butt: A full moon, those first 7 are doozies, so take comfort that the worst is BEHIND you!

Posts are in reverse order, I always click on 'last' and go backwards to where I last read or posted, if that makes sense. For example, I post every day in the Newbies Nest so I click on LAST, go back to my last post and read forward.

Roll call is fun and we give prizes for milestones! You find the lastest roll, copy, paste and then add your name to the bottom. Its fun for all ages (or day counts!).

It takes some time to get familair with the site.....there are 2 great links in my signature line to check out. The Tool Box is a repository of 7 years of tips and coping skills to help you. Newbies Nest is a great place to get started....we are a pretty busy thread so it almost always shows upbunder NEW POSTS (under the HOME key, top left).

MWO was a real blessing for me, still is. Its the first thing I do in the morning and the last thing I do at night. We are so glad you found us and great job on those 7 days!!!! Byrdie
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
      X