TOPAMAX = BALDNESS????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOPAMAX = BALDNESS????

I take the occasional topamax pill now - 50 mg - find it initially quite strong - little bit like Im coming up on something - that soon passes - dont feel like drinking much after - my main concern - AND THIS IS VERY VAIN - (i have lovely long hair) - is that I have read it makes your hair fall out!!!! Is this true???

TOPAMAX = BALDNESS????

Moo,

It is a possible side effect but that does not mean it is going to happen. I have not noticed any increased loss of hair and I've been on it for almost 5 weeks now.

Most of the side effects are temporary anyway. I've had very few.

Melissa
    If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

TOPAMAX = BALDNESS????

Moo:
      I have been on Topamax since February and have not noticed any decrease in hair. It's still all there. I even asked my hairdresser because I am obviously as vain as you! She confirmed that it is still thick and lovely!!!
      Learning to live life on the outside of a bottle. :flower:

Comment

TOPAMAX = BALDNESS????

I am, however, going to go knock on wood right now, just in case.
        Learning to live life on the outside of a bottle. :flower:

Comment

TOPAMAX = BALDNESS????

Moo,
          You are not going to want to hear this, but my hair is thinner. In fact there are a couple of us on this sight that have discussed this sad, sad issue of thinning hair on topa before on another thread. I am by no means bald, but definately do not have the thick hair I had.
          This was the main reason that I stopped taking it. I was at 150mg for about 4 months (total of 8 months on it.) I am now back on it at the low dose of 50mg because I personally find it something that is extremely helpful to me.
          Topa affects everyone different, as I've noticed some people with eye issues--something I've never had. Some people can't tolerate the stomach issues--something I've never had.
          I just wanted to let you know that thinning hair COULD occur.

Comment

TOPAMAX = BALDNESS????

Biotin

I haven't been able to get the topa as of yet, still keeping my fingers crossed..

However, 2 1/2 years ago I had gastric bypass. One of the side effects of losing weight so quickly is hair loss.

My doctor had me take an extra Biotin supplement daily and the hair loss stopped. It has all grown back, btw.

I will be sad if I lose hair, but in my case, hair loss it definitely not as bad as the life I am leading right now.

Best of luck to you!!

Cindi
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

TOPAMAX = BALDNESS????

moo;148111 wrote: I take the occasional topamax pill now - 50 mg - find it initially quite strong - little bit like Im coming up on something - that soon passes - dont feel like drinking much after - my main concern - AND THIS IS VERY VAIN - (i have lovely long hair) - is that I have read it makes your hair fall out!!!! Is this true???
              I may not understand exactly what you are saying, but taking an ocassional topamax pill is probably not a great idea unless your Dr. has told you to take it that way. I took the topa for several months and had no hair loss problems, but the drug is to be titrated up in dosage so it builds up to a level in your body. I don't think you will get the benefits taking it occasionally.

bear
              What St. Frances of Assisi said of himself is true for me.
              ?If God can work through me He can work through anybody.?

Comment

TOPAMAX = BALDNESS????

ah the topa hair problem. help is on its way. the two vitamins that definitely put the zip and hair growth back in your life are:
                biotin and thymus. it is hairdresser's secret and for anyone going through chemo is a godsend. and i've just found a fab new product that is way expensive but i kid you not works like some kind of miracle thing. and i should know cuz i research this stuff. so if you have thinning eye lashes or eyebrows. jan marino has a eyelash product that regrows your lashes. it takes about two weeks and you will have barbie lashes. and she also has a product for hair regeneration. it takes about 2 months to notice but then you will see it works like a charm.
                :welcome:

Comment

TOPAMAX = BALDNESS????

I also take topa. Have been @ 100 mg a day for 1 &1/2 yrs (with the exception of 3 months I quit taking it, because of thinning hair!)

I have probably 1/2 the thickness I used to have, but I'm not sure if it's the topa, or my age (46 ...almost 47! ), or possibly hormonal..

In any case it does work wonders for me with keeping my life on track!
                  I take Biotin, Selinium, and a Vitamineral Green supplement. It doesn't seem to be getting any worse...:fingers:

:bow
                  The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

TOPAMAX = BALDNESS????

I too have heard that such medications can indeed cause your hair to fall out. But there are other vitamins and biotin that you can use to grow out the hair again. There are other solutions as well that can help you to hide the lost hair.

Comment

Working...
                    X