My Doctor is considering Topamax !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had talked to my doctor two weeks ago about my drinking and she did not feel she was versed enough in alcohol addiction to help me. I had mentioned Topamax and she simply did not feel comfortable enough to consider it. (I very much appreciate her reservations and did not get upset. I think it is a sign of a good doctor when they know their limitations.)

However, I had to go back today in order to get a script for antibiotics. We discussed my situation again, especially considering the fact that my insurance does not cover psychiatric care and the fact that I constantly travel, making even AA meetings difficult.

She asked me to send her the information I have learned. I sent her this website's URL as well as several other URLs discussing Topamax and alcohol addiction.

I have my fingers crossed!! I know so many of you have done so well with Topamax and the rest of the program. My doctor is well aware of Topamax and the side-effects because she prescribes it for patients for the "on label" reasons.

I am so anxious to get started and would feel much better using this prescription under a doctor's care rather than going online and doing it myself.

I am so nervous that I had to tell everyone. And I want to thank all of you you have been kind enough to answer my questions and even PM me. You are all my AA meetings, only you are always there, especially when I need to reach out and touch. It can be really hard to deal with this while you are sitting alone in a hotel room.

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Crossing my fingers for you Cindi! It is so nice you have an open-minded doctor.
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

That is great news! I know that the topa seems to be working for me....i wish you the best of luck with the news from your doctor...i too travel for work and desperately needed this change...i have only been on it for a very short time but can feel a real difference...i also really want it this time...i think it take a comination of the 2...i'll let you know....keep us updated on the news! ....have a fabulous day! buck

Comment

Since I am a borderline diabetic...really get a low bloodsugar when I drink or don't eat correctly...my doctor put me on a couple different things. Topamax was one of the drugs she had me on....she told me it would help me loose a little weight and help me sleep. She didn't tell me....(and I didn't tell her HOW much I was drinking) I couldn't drink with it. It made me SICK...really dizzy and I felt like I was going to puke. I thought it was just part of taking a new medication. Since I didn't know about it enough...I continued to take it and continued to feel crappy. One day I just stopped taking it....and continued taking my other meds. I felt SO MUCH better....now that I am on here...I see WHY I was feeling so bad....you just CAN'T drink on it. I think I may get another prescription if I can't do this with support alone! Sunflower

Comment

Fingers crossed for you cindi, and Hi sunflower ....

Love & Hugs, BB xx
          sigpicXXX

Comment

Cindi:
            My doctor had to think about it too. Like you, I felt that was a good thing! I gave her a bunch of stuff about this website, the book, etc. and let her do some research. In the end she gave me the prescription. I hope yours comes to the same conclusion. It has helped me tremendously and just knowing that I have a doctor that I can talk to honestly about it is a great bonus. I have fingers and toes crossed for you.
            I hope you find out soon, because this is VERY uncomfortable!!!
            Learning to live life on the outside of a bottle. :flower:

Comment

Working...
            X