Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your favourite activities to counter AL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your favourite activities to counter AL?

What are your favourite activities to replace nights out with friends and family on the AL?

I've finally come to the conclusion that I need to broaden my social circle and find groups that actively seek out social situations where AL isn't even in the picture.

I found a new circle of friends through the website meetup.com which is a vehicle for meeting people with similar interests. In a place as populous as London, I'm sure there is a meetup group for whatever interests you have, no matter how eclectic. In early sobriety I also relied heavily on AA. I don't go to meetings anymore but I do keep in touch with a small number of friends I made through AA and I wouldn't discourage meeting attendance, given that you're in your first few days. You already mentioned this, but I would absolutely avoid social situations where alcohol would be present. You might still be feeling a little hungover right now, but that voice very well may return in a week or so when you're feeling better.
    Last edited by aihfl; June 3, 2016, 03:40 PM.
    First, a man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes the man. --Chinese proverb

Comment

Horseback riding!! You can't do that hung over or with alcohol in your blood. Gotta have all your wits about ya!

Dance class is another good one. I am back to dance on Tuesday nights. And let me tell ya it is a bit of a brain squeeze listening to the teacher in Dutch, remembering the routine, and keeping count to the music.
      Geeze!!! Can't keep up with that with a hangover.
      Last edited by Eloise; June 4, 2016, 12:05 AM.
      (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

I relearnt to knit, it was too hard when holding a glass of wine and 2 needles, started cooking to pass the time at night, cleaned like there was no tomorrow, caught up on shows that i had watched drunk and could not remember. I am currently re-watching Game of Thrones as the first two seasons at least i was drunk for. Being bored is a myth when we give up drinking although we do need something to replace the time we spent with al. Take life one day at a time SL, do what makes you happy, there is no rush to conquer the world, it happens slowly. I also got hooked on candy crush but anything is better than drinking in my opinion.
        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

I am assuming you are young and social life revolves around the pub?
          My son struggles in social situations. He started going to AA meetings - meeting like minded people is the only way. You will'click' with some and not with others.
          See people live contented lives without alcohol is the key - I'm convinced of that.

Comment

In early recovery, social life should be really non existent. Social situations are powerful, powerful triggers. Not saying that they should be avoided all together, but they should not be priority. Finding your inner self where you can stay at home on Saturday night and watch TV or a movie for a few months and be ok with it can be very helpful. I attend Church pretty regularly. Instead of Going to get wasted on Saturday nights, I get ready for Church by going to bed early Saturday night. Iam a weekend warrior at the Gym. I can't get wasted on Friday either because I have to run 5 to 6 miles on Saturday morning. Sunday afternoons have been very trying because that's when I visit with Family so I visit every other Sunday. I stay pretty busy at work 7 to 8 most days of the week. I guess staying busy and prioritizing certain activities removes alcohol from the equation.
            Its for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then and DO NOT let yourself be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Gal 5:1

Comment

Working...
            X