Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Journey of a lifetime.....

Hi all,

Im now about the three month mark and happy to say that I am still going well.
    I've been on this journey about 3 /4 times now and each time, about the 4 month mark I just start drinking again.
    I plan to watch it very carefully this time in case I ever have any thoughts that 'I can handle this'
    I thought I had it in the bag last time and that I wouldn't drink again but it wasn't so.
    All I can keep doing is to remember to be grateful on a daily basis for this gift of sobriety and hang in there for the long haul.
    Sometimes I've indulged in negative self-talk- and done the whiney moany thing about how hard it all is, but on the whole I've found it surprisingly
    straightforward. The worst part was the first month when my sleep patterns and anxiety were all over the place but I am now sleeping more soundly though not yet sleeping all through the night by any means, but anxiety has gone thankfully and I feel hopeful that eventually I'll get close to a good night's sleep.
    I've had some tests too considering I'm so early in recovery, with lots of visitors drinking socilally all around me. Just back from a wedding too, where the inevitable questions were asked but when people heard that I hadnt had a drink in 3 months no-one pressured or even batted an eyelid, in fact some said "Good for you, I wish I could last that long"
    On the whole I feel good. I'm coping with my new way of life and I'm beginning to think that it's really possible that I could have a life free of AL.
    As long as I never ever think that "I can handle this". I know I cant. I've crossed the line between being a social drinker and a dependent one. Even though I never passed out with al, or forgot anything I said or did, or hurt anyone, I still know it was taking more to get the same effect. I often drank more than I intended to and more often than I wanted to. I usually felt crap the next day. I couldnt sleep after 5 am. etc etc. I now fully understand that alcoholism is progressive. I won't be able to go back to it and moderate. before I know it I'll be back where I was again and I value my health too much to go back to that horrible depressing place where a substance has me in its grips.
    I intend to add to my journey right here on this thread. I know it'll be a long one and that I'm just starting out but I have hope that I have truly surrendered this time. I know that I am only a baby in sobriety and that many many people have said the same thing only to become recidivists time and again. But I guess only time will tell. Thanks for listening.
    Kairos
    Sobriety is its own reward

All I can keep doing is to remember to be grateful on a daily basis for this gift of sobriety and hang in there for the long haul.
    You sound like you've really figured out what is right for you, Kairos. That is a great place to be. The same is right for me but as I posted elsewhere yesterday, I almost forgot it. I need to to be actively grateful each and every day. Thanks for the reminder, NS.

Comment

Wonderful post Kairos,keep up the positive thinking, it helps to go from feeling deprived to actually wanting to live without the grog,thanks for sharing
      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Thank you No Sugar. My next step is how to figure out how to stop substituting SUGAR for al! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by paulywogg View Post
          Wonderful post Kairos,keep up the positive thinking, it helps to go from feeling deprived to actually wanting to live without the grog,thanks for sharing
          Thanks Pollywog. I am very conscious that I dont want to let the 'feeling deprived' thoughts in -ever.
          The truth is I dont actually feel deprived. I feel liberated.
          K

Comment

Great post and you sound like your right on track. I had a 6-8 month issue in my past quit attempts. Daily gratitude, letting go of resentments and sharing intimate issues that I could not get out of my mind, with other Alcoholics has been a successful formula for me. That and completely changing my mindset of how I looked at Alcohol. I finally stopped looking at not being able to drink "normally" as a loss or a poor me. It's perfectly packaged poison that has never done a damn thing but cause me misery.
            Congrats on your 3 months you got this...

Stay Hard my friend....
            AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Hi Kairos - you sound great I'm glad you will stay here and keep posting. There will be times that are harder and also some 'blah' times but like you said you always need to remember how it was. You are truly liberated now! As for the sugar...nearly 2 1/2 years later, I only just over the past month or so was able to stop my daily sweets intake that I took up when I quit AL. I had put on some weight and decided to go on a pretty strict diet and it has taken quite a bit of willpower but I haven't had a cookie or ice cream in nearly 4 weeks. But no rush - - keeping AL out of your life is more important!

Comment

Thanks Frances. I think you're right. The most important thing right now is to stabilise my new life without alcohol.
                I can think about sugar in due course. No rush as you say.
                Good to hear from you again.

Kairos

Comment

Thanks Matt,

I agree. The advertising around the 'perfectly packaged poison' is mightlily crafted too.
                  I will try to stay strong.
                  Starting the day right is all important I think.
                  K

Comment

What a great thread! Keeping the right attitude always is what will keep us AF. Freedom from getting drunk, feeling sick, making poor choices, feeling anxious, depressed, or feeling healthy, able to manage our lives with dignity and respect. When I look at it that way, there is no choice.

Comment

Yes Snoopy, right attitude and surrendering the notion of ever having a relationship with alcohol again. For me that will be the crux of it. The rest is "the work" for ever amen. But it'll be a graced journey I know.

Comment

Hey there,
                        Its me again just checking in to say I'm still going. :thumbsup:
                        Not happy about the way the sugar consumption is going though.
                        I have to address it soon as I dont want to end up overweight.
                        Some might say it's better to be overweight than drinking and though I agree, all the new science points to sugar consumption as the latest risk for heart trouble.
                        I have to get motivated to cut it down if not out.
                        Tips welcome.
                        K

Comment

Kairos, since I have more time not drinking I plan meals that are healthy and eat at home way more often. Fresh fruit is a good thing right now and sweet, I have to plan good healthy things to eat, otherwise I will buy chocolate and ice cream and brownies, etc. Healthy food can be delicious and then you feel good afterwards, so do you have recipes for things you like? Just an idea. You are doing great!

Comment

It's so weird Snoopy. I actually ate healthier when I drank. Perhaps it was my way of limiting the damage. I'm really familiar with preparing healthy meals and rarely eat out but I am really pigging out on the sugary treats right now even though I know it's bad.
                            I've re started yoga classes, so maybe in due course things will get better.
                            Thanks.
                            K

Comment

Well, maybe a sugar binge is just part of your journey, and now you are going to begin to eat healthy. It takes some time to heal, think how long we drank, then we want to feel so much better in a short time. I remember after the first part, feeling so tired all the time, my body needed rest to heal. So, I tried to sleep more. Yoga classes sound like a great idea, we have to address every piece of our lives, not just being AF, although that is key. Eating healthy, exercise, emotional work, just haveing a better life. In some ways this is a gift, others don't think like this or spend time on themselves.

Comment

Working...
                              X