No announcement yet.

Journey of a lifetime.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys, still going strong and full of gratitude for my sobriety. But the sugar cravings are killing me. Help please. ;-))
    Sobriety is its own reward

Comment

Hey Kairos

I know this is probably not much help (!) but the sugar craving is because you are replacing the sugar in the alcohol. I spoke to my Doctor about this and he said he'd rather I was eating too much chocolate than drinking!!!

So, for me, for now, I'll follow the Doctor's orders!!

Comment

I definitely ate healthier when I drank! I eat a lot more sweets now - something I'd like to cut back on too. I went on a short diet awhile ago and did great, but after a few weeks I've gotten back into my daily cookies/ice cream habit. But I agree wholeheartedly that it's better than drinking!

Comment

Sugar can be a useful tool for getting away from alcohol but it does keep in gear the exact part of our brains that we want to change. For some of us, avoiding sugar makes it easier to avoid alcohol and vice versa. When I first quit, the few occasions of eating junk food did nothing but set off cravings for alcohol. And when I used to drink, it often led to late night binging on ice cream, cookies, etc. I gave up sugar first but like you guys are finding with the sweets, I started drinking more!!

This thread is full of information on the subject if you're interested: https://www.mywayout.org/community/ge...challenge.html

Comment

Kairos, like many I also went crazy over the sweets when I first quit. Now I eat dark chocolate covered blueberries instead of chocolate bars and flavoured frozen yogurt instead of ice cream and I'm back to feeling good again.
            Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
            Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
            Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Thanks to all for your contributions.
              I do need to look carefully at my diet. Like Frances, I used to eat more healthy stuff when drinking. Some of that was probably damage limitation but the rest was knowing better than to eat too much sugary junk and chocolate. Since I gave up alcohol it's been what the heck -have the treats to get you over the hump. What does it matter? But now I'm taking action becasue long-term it does matter. It's not good substituting one bad habit for another- and sugar is evil for my system that much I understand. So, as of 3 days ago I am getting back to eating well and healthy - lots of fibre, vegetables. lean meats, fruits in season etc.
              And thanks for the heads up about magnesium Kuya. That makes sense since I used to get cramps-not so much since I stopped al.
              Thanks guys,
              Always great to share.
              Kairos.
              Sobriety is its own reward

Comment

Hi Kairos - I was thinking of you over the past few days when I've been overdoing it with cookies and cake. It's been pretty bad lately and I've been experiencing the too familiar 'oh I'm not going to do that again today' and then going right ahead and doing it even after telling myself I'm not going to. And 'only one' and then going back for more! Hmmmm, where else have I said that to myself?? Still better than drinking but I really need to get this under control. I'll have to try the nuts and/or magnesium thing and see if that helps. I can just picture my arteries clogging! How's it been going for you?

Comment

Hi Kairos how you getting on ?

just seen a pm in my inbox from you buts its nearly two years old,osteroops: Hope your ok .

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                  I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Working...
                  X