Day 365............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day 365............

Thank you to all the wonderful people here at mywayout for your continued support and encouragement.Wow what a year it has been! Its unbelievable how much difference a year can make.This journey started 4 years ago. I remember the first full day of soberity and how liberating it felt. For 10 years i had not skipped a single day. The first time lasted 3 days, several months went by before making the 2nd attempt which lasted 7 days. Time went by again before the 4th attempt which was 11 days. I kept trying and failing numerous times until i got to attempt 8 or 9 which lasted 30 days. After this attempt, i achieved my longest quit at that time which was 57 days. The relapse at this point was very distressing and demoralizing. I went into depression and despair for a few months before trying again. The next go lasted 4 months. I thought i was completely healed and will never touch another drink around this time. As cunning as alcohol is, it found a weak spot and sneaked in and pretty much took over my mind and body for about 11 months. It came back with vengeance. Scary stuff,Depression, sheer hopelessness, despair, loneliness, remorse, deep deep regret...i was just a mess, not going to work for days, not taking care of my self at all.
    The one thing that has kept me going is my faith and hope in God. Even when i couldn't see any way out, there was always that teeny tiny glimmer of light that just wouldn't go away. I always told/tell myself that God has started a good work in me that he will complete. Putting all my trust in God, as he leads me to ways to properly nourish my body, healing my broken emotionals, letting go of past failures and hurts, choosing not to live life through the rare view mirror and gratitude have gotten me this far. I have a long, long, way to go and by no means do i deceive myself that i got this thing beat. I know that its a life long journey and i will keep doing what i've been doing as it's working thus far.
    This site has been a wonderful tool for my accountability, Comradery, information sharing and support. I feel like this is definitely a haven for most of us who can't just share our most secret struggles with anyone else.
    Healing my body with nutrition and exercise is major priority. I have found amazing help from Magnesium, Omega 3 and D3 for depression and sleep. The combnation of magnesium and Omega 3 is particularly beneficial to anxieties and depression. My sleep has always been a big problem but its slowly getting better. 5 to 6 hours straight sleep most nights is the norm. At the beginning i barely got 45 minutes straight. I was waking up every 30 minutes, staying up for 2 hours....pure hell.
    If you are starting out or jus struggling, please DO NOT give up..keep trying, keep getting up, keep posting, most importantly do not despair or lose hope. It doesn't matter how long you have been struggling.
    Last edited by lizker; June 16, 2016, 02:45 PM.
    Its for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then and DO NOT let yourself be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Gal 5:1

Way to go, Lizker! You sound so happy in your new life. Take care, NS

Comment

A wonderful achievement, Lizker, congratulations.

J x
      :hug:
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Congratulations Lizker!!! It makes me truly happy to see this!
        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Liz - I am so absolutely thrilled for you. Congratulations.

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
          AF - 7-27-15

Comment

See it IS possible!!! Yeah for you !!

:balloons::lucky::monkeysmile:
            (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

What a wonderful story of success thru perseverance! Congratulations on a job well done and here's to many more years of sobriety to come! Hugs, Byrdie
              :fairy:
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Late to the party, Liz but WAY TO GO!!!!

Congratulations on your determination and hard work. Onward and upward.

Pav

Comment

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Looking forward to year two. Most liberating thing is I no longer dread long holidays like the upcoming July 4. I was always a total mess after long holidays. Often calling off work the day after a Holiday. My boss had talked to me about it and had pretty much told that if it happened again, I was going to lose my job.
                  Its for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then and DO NOT let yourself be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Gal 5:1

Comment

Working...
                  X