Quick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question

Hi, I am on day 8 today and read something recently about counting sober days not being a good idea as it is irrelevant how long you have been sober as long as you still are - just wondered how everyone feels about that? Is it a good idea or not?
    One day at a time - this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has yet to come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering...

For me it really helps. It gives me small goals to aim for and a sense of achievement looking back. Each person is different though. Like all things it depends what works for you

Comment

Originally posted by madonmehndi View Post
      Hi, I am on day 8 today and read something recently about counting sober days not being a good idea as it is irrelevant how long you have been sober as long as you still are - just wondered how everyone feels about that? Is it a good idea or not?
      If I'm honest I just love numbers. I have favourite numbers, numbers I don't like...........in fact not quite OCD but they fascinate me and I haven't got a Maths qualification to my name but I'm very good at sums

Someone asked me a while back how long I'd been AF.............the Sober Sunday thread's been here since before me. Anyway I found this calculator Date Duration Calculator: Days between two dates and as I'll never forget the day I stopped drinking typed the numbers in..............I still remember being gob smacked..........I had 74 days..........why that sticks in my mind I'll never know.

Its bit like a baby..........first we count them in days, then weeks, months and years............my son is now 28 but I doubt I'd ever tell anyone he's 336 months old.

That was a right old bit of waffling..........but it helped me. It helped a lot.

Have fun with the calculator.........see how many seconds or minutes you've got. Watch you're numbers growing...........its a bit like a savings account.

Oh and :goodjob: on those 8 days.
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

I like the counting too. It helps with recovery milestones and gives you an idea of what to expect.

First week withdrawals,
        Pink cloud phase,
        8 weeks - fatty liver recovered,
        3 months - no al traces in hair anymore,
        6-9 month blues,
        18 months normal brain function returns,
        5 years rarely relapse...

There are more, but these are the important ones to me.

Comment

I personally don't count days, I have an app on my phone that tracks my days but I very seldom look at it. I think it's an individual preference, and like anything else in recovery, if it works for you, then do it...
          Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
          Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
          Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Im a counter, also. In my former job, I used to say "You cant manage what you cant measure". I think it applies here, too. Gives me a sense of accomplishment. Byrdie
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

I'm on day 93, but i've never been one for counting.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Originally posted by Justme Again View Post
                I like the counting too. It helps with recovery milestones and gives you an idea of what to expect.

First week withdrawals,
                Pink cloud phase,
                8 weeks - fatty liver recovered,
                3 months - no al traces in hair anymore,
                6-9 month blues,
                18 months normal brain function returns,
                5 years rarely relapse...

There are more, but these are the important ones to me.
                No traces in your hair? Yikes i never knew it would be in my hair???
                One day at a time - this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has yet to come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering...

Comment

In the beginning I didn't count - didn't see the point. If I'm sober I'm sober - counting was like there was an end.
                  As time went on I became so proud when I counted - and usually shocked when I saw the date I started move further & further away.

But I still think it'll be crazy to be still counting say in 20 years time ...... I hope to be cured by then :haha:

Comment

Originally posted by madonmehndi View Post
                    No traces in your hair? Yikes i never knew it would be in my hair???
                    Dunno - would like to know too

Comment

Originally posted by satz123 View Post
                      Dunno - would like to know too
                      How long have you got...........this is about the only thing I can find on line that isn't an advert..........

AbuseCheck™ FAEE EtG Hair Alcohol Abuse Testing (HAT)

Edit: Sorry there is a phone number but the facts are there.
                      It could be worse, I could be filing.
                      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

I never stuck with counting before last year. I started being faithful about roll call. It really helped me. A couple of months ago I got out of the habit of posting in roll call each morning. But, I'm back to doing that just because it reminds me of what I could lose. Plus the fact that it makes me feel happy.

This is another link - not as thorough as JC's though EtG Hair Alcohol Testing
                        "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

For me, I find counting my sobriety days as another positive tool to help me move forward, I am sometimes reminded of & never forget my drunken/embarrassing times, So I reward myself with counting my free sobriety days in apostive way, it works for me.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                          I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Hi there!

Yes, if you stand a chance to loose you job... you research everything!
                            In case you have to be tested at work.

Al in urine and blood leaves quickly, but the real test is 3cm of hair close to your scalp. Al gets deposited in your hair and the amount of al tells how heavily you abuse it.

Al affects every cell in the body!!

Comment

Originally posted by abcowboy View Post
                              I personally don't count days, I have an app on my phone that tracks my days but I very seldom look at it. I think it's an individual preference, and like anything else in recovery, if it works for you, then do it...
                              Which app do you use cowboy?
                              I used to have a fantastic app but it is not around anymore.
                              I am using a different app now but it's not as cool lol

I like to count days in the beginning but I also just keep track of the date and then I know how long it's been.
                              Hope you are doing well!
                              Day 1 again 11/5/19
                              Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                              Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                              Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                              11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                              12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                              X