Topamax Side Effects: Input?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HI-- I read this about Topamax's side effects. I was wondering if anyone currently on it could comment. Thanks!

Topamax's Typical Side Effects: The usual for anticonvulsants. A pins & needles effect that usually goes away after no more than a week or two. Weight loss and appetite suppression - but please note that not everyone gets this side effect. Sodas and other carbonated beverages will utterly taste like ass, so you may as well give them up now if you're considering Topamax. Memory loss, aphasia (weird words coming out in place of what you meant to say or write), word find problems (not being able to recall the names of people, things or concepts), and a general cognitive impairment that has earned this drug the nicknames "Stupamax" and "Dopamax." As Topamax typically makes you really sleepy and has a long enough half-life, you can usually get away with taking it all at bedtime.
    Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.
    Talent will not-- nothing is more common than
    unsuccessful people with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
    Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
    The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve
    the problems of the human race.
    -- Calvin Coolidge

Hi Groovy,

You could always visit the Topamax Survey Thread I started. It's a bit of a blog a few of us guys who are on it started and maintain. Hope that helps.
    Paddy
    Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

Groovy,

Dopatopa which I seem to like to call it effects everyone different. The side effects don't bother me like some people. But everybody had different chemistry. These are my side effects. I started out exactly as the MYO book said and I am currently taking at 250 mg. I take 150 in the am and 100 in the evening. Topa does not make me sleepy. It may have in the beginning but if anything it has made me more active.
      I have lost 10 to 15 lbs. My appetite just isn't there and when I get hungry I get full fast.

I do get names mixed up but I have always done that. I would say Yew Nork instead of New York so people understand me. The name confusion gets better with time.

I was waiting to get that metallic taste from soda but it never happened. I was really happy that I could drink something.

I didn't have much tingling in the feet. I do notice if I hold a book too long that my hand will get tingly. Also last weekend when I went motorcycling and we stopped for a coke my arms felt like electricity were going through them for a good 5 minutes. It had to be the topa. My arms probably weren't use to holding to the handle bars that long.

Otherwise, I'm happy with the side effects or lack of.

Happier

Comment

Check out their website, specifically this link TOPAMAX Full Prescribing Information - Ortho-McNeil Neurologics, Inc.

Here's another brief on wiki:

Topiramate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        Paddy
        Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

My answer to this very same question is under the "Fear of Topa..." thread. The doctor took me off of it and I have not suffered nor started back drinking as a result.

jimbo

Comment

Working...
          X