Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ANYONE IN U.K. RECOMMEND A PRESCRIBED MED. FOR COMBINED ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ANYONE IN U.K. RECOMMEND A PRESCRIBED MED. FOR COMBINED ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION???

Have realized that much of the reason for my excessive drinking is that I suffer from anxiety and depression to varying degrees. My anxiety can escalate to full-blown panic with little or no warning, and my current deep depression has caused me to have an almost endless To Do list.

Good thing is, am on Day 8 AF, and have no intention of blowing it........am no longer bereft at having chosen not to drink.........am feeling AF is currently manageable.

However, the nightly wine was my coping mechanism for the anxiety and depression, so now that I am no longer allowing myself that option, I am seeking an alternative.I have made an appointment to see my doc., this coming Wed.............I need that to be a productive appointment, so am looking for tried and tested advice from any of you in U.K.

Am going to ask my doc. to prescribe for both the anxiety and the depression. I understand that this type of med can take several weeks to kick in, but am feeling very down, nervous and lacking in motivation, so am hoping some of you could recommend a particular med (U.K.) that will lift my mood and calm me down considerably quickly.Would prefer if one drug could address both conditions.

Any suggestions please?

Starlight Impress x

have no real advice,just want to say good lick
    Pipsqueak

Comment

Try to ask for Trazodone. I have read a few peoples responses here, and including myself that it works really well. All the best Starlight. Anxiety and depression sucks the life out of you.

In regards to Trazadone I take it a half hour before bed. It acts as a sedative plus an anti depressant. It also helps with Panic Attacks. I am on 50 mgs for now and it works very quickly. My panic attacks are gone. (and my attacks were horrific). It doesn't cost much at all either.

Comment

Thanks Accountable.........will check out trazodone.

Starlight Impress x

Comment

I only know about prozac and it doesn't cover everything, anyway i know it doesnt always work, you may have to google the trazodone 'cos I don't know if we have it in UK?

Diamond xx
          I feel as though it's all happening to someone right next to me.
          I'm close, I can feel it, I can hear it, but it isn't really me.

Marilyn Monroe

Comment

I think antidepressants(SSRI) and anti anxiety medicines like xanex are worst than alcohol.
            I know it's sad.
            Maybe you are just going through withdrawl. If this is something you have been experiencing for a long time then maybe it will help to take medicines but for the most part, it's awful hard to come off of them just like booze
            good luck
            You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

I used CITALOPRAM for my anxiety and depression. It is a fairly new drug, compared to say, Prozac which has been around for donkeys. It had no side-affects for me and began to work after 3 weeks. I noticed that I wasnt on the brink of suicide anymore and I was ALOT less anxious about everything. I could cope with life basically. Ask your Doc. about this drug. Good luck Starlight. Bella xxx

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for your replies and pm`s.

Am "sitting on the fence" again over whether or not meds will suit me, so will do some research on supps before deciding which way to go on this. Feeling like an "exhausted, fat splodge" cannot be allowed to continue!!! LOL

Thanks again,

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Hi Starlight...I am having the same problem with the anxiety, and panic and have just realised myself that all these years I too have been self medicating to relieve these symptoms.

Recently, thanks to one of the members here at MWO, I Decided to slowly cut down on my antidepressant effexor and totally cut out my anti anxiety pill which was also addictive and go with supps and natural. I did this because I just wasn't depressed anymore and was just used to taking these pills for years and doc was telling me I would indefinately...bulls**t... Well, my psychiatrist is of no help on this because all he does is perscribe pills. He really does not know how hard it is to get off them. I am still after two weeks of pure Hell still only half way through the effexor withdrawl, seeing bits of relief and then having to titrate down again for another two weeks. I am still not depressed, only more hopeful and seeing more of a "light" at the end of the tunnel, and my desire to drink is much, much less...so is my intake.

I'm sorry to blow steam out here but I am very angry at some docs right now for not being more careful with what they perscribe. Be careful and don't look for a pill for majic. yes, for panic and depression we get desparate for relief but there are natural remedies and trazadone is non habit forming as I've been told. I am still learng and will take suggestions from anyone with experience in this area!

For supps I've been taking L-glut 3 times a day, gaba, Inosotol, the other reccomended supps on program, calms forte, herbal tea...I'll try anything natural...lots of excercise when I can get out of the house...another thing that the anxiety/panic has caused me is SAD social anxiety disorder or something like it. I used to drink to be around alot of people and since that is not an option anymore I am feeling it more now . This is a very lonley road.

I am going to my family doctor tomorrow also to ask some of the same questions you have. Maybe we can compare notes. This time I go I will be more aware of what to tell him about how I am feeling, what my body is going through, my concerns about addictive medication...etc.

Congrats on being AF!!!!

Good Luck with the doctor...Cap

Comment

Hi,

No personal experience myself - I just like alcohol and can't seem to control my on/off switch, but my husband does suffer from depression and meds really don't work for him. He has been seeing a psychologist and having CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) for about two months now and he is really starting to "unravel some of the knots" as he calls it and is now able to deal with the signs of depression, rather than letting them absorb him. He also takes Omega 3, 6 and 9 (available from Holland & Barrett) which helps to de-fog the brain.

He did try St. John's Wort but kept forgetting to take it regularly. I've heard from my friend who'se a herbalist that it does help - maybe something worth trying.

Also exercise is a good thing - releasing those positive endorphins into the body not also make you feel good but give you something to take your mind off of your mental state.

Hope this helps.
                    Sweet

Comment

Trazodone is a fairly popular antidepressant/anxiety reliver.Used as prescribed
                      can be very successful, less addictive than some other drugs. Best to speak to
                      gp. I was very depressed and have been taking prozac for approx 3 months now,
                      it has helped me a great deal, but there are no miracle cures( unfortunately).
                      Love Paula.

Comment

I took low dose 50 mg for sleep for several years. It helped with anxiety a lot. Lowered my metabolism and made weight loss impossible. I went off it last year and lost 15 lbs and felt better. I would say use it temporarily and only for sleep at night but not long term.

Ohyeah

Comment

My word, too, stay of the Benzos (Xanax, etc) if at all possible. As suggested, the SSRIs, like Zoloft seem to be ok, but frankly, I titrated off these, too. I just did not want to be hooked on any of them. There are so many horror stories on Telly and in scientific articles of otherwise normal persons who blow fuses and go suicidal when on those drugs ... That scared me into titrating down.

I'm dealing with panic/anxiety attacks. At this stage, I haven't found the perfect way of dealing with them. But I know chemicals isn't it ...
                          Paddy
                          Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

Working...
                          X