Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TOPA at night.. how long does it take to kick in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all!

I have been not very consistant with my TOPA, taking only 25mgs a few nights a week , and have started to drink too much again. So, I have decided I am going to go ABS for a while and am going to up my dose to 50mg tonight. I know I will be tired, but my hubby and daughter will be gone for three nights, so I can sleep as much as I want. I simply can't take it during the day. Since I have never been a "day" drinker, I thoguht I would just take it in the evenings. But, I do get that urge to pick up wine on my way home from work, so I would love some opionions on how long you think it takes to take effect..

Thanks, guys!!

MM
    Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

I take topamax daily and at the same time each night. I too am a nightly wine drinker and toma enhances drinking. I believe you should take the medication daily and do not miss a dose in order for it to take effect. It needs to build up slowly in order for it to work so you shouldnt jump to a larger dose right away. My doctor recommended 25mg for one week then adding 25 mg per week to 100mgs. I started out at 2 bottles of wine a night and after one day went down to 2 glasses of wine a night. I am on 50 mg a day and hope by 100 mg a day I will not want any alcohol at all. Good luck to you!

Comment

I have to agree... you should only take 25 mg for one week Hon and then 50 mg the next week... Please don't be too hard on yourself and chin up... Good luck, Hugs,

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

Topa is a treatment, as Niblet just touched on. You cannot just take it, and then leave it for a while. The way it works as Niblet pointed out, you start off on 25 mgs, and work your way up week after week.

From my experience, my alcohol off dose is 175 mgs or 200 mgs.
        Paddy
        Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

But for some people, Topa kicks in at a much lower dose.
          Paddy
          Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

I have been on topamax for seven weeks. I am currently taking 15 mg am and 15 mg pm. There is no way that I can increase the dosage! I feel depressed, lethargic and I have a terrible headache most of the time. I have been doing everything by the book, and I am working with a physician. Today, I called him to tell him that I can't deal with the side effects anymore, so I am going off topa. I have been reading about Vivitrex which is an injectable treatment for alcoholism. It is supposed to be on the market September 30. Has anyone heard anything about this treatment? Also, what about the dosage of l-glutamine? cat700

Comment

I know RJ has posted information on Vivitrex. I'll try to look around for it. i just started taking topa - 25 mg - last week. So far I feel fine. Sorry you do not seem to be able to take it.
              Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

Working...
              X