Topa questions... 1st timer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello all. I'm new to the group and 1st time posting, however I have been reading quite a bit and have learned a lot from all of you - thank you in advance. I have been a binge drinker pretty much for the past 16 years, and am pretty much at the end of my rope with this addiction - I hate how the cravings have controlled my life and I want the old me back - wherever she's gone (or been all this time). Vodka is pretty much my poison of choice - but I'm open to anything available at the time - in large quantities of course. Recently started Topa a few weeks back and am doing well on 50 mg. around 1 pm each day. Seems to be working well - tingling, itching a bit bothersome. My psychiatrist hesitated giving it to me because a doctor friend of hers had a patient go blind on it (I'm sorry - I don't mean to scare anyone) - and she's freaked me all to hell. Any little blurred vision or wierd feeling of pressure gets me worried (but I wear contacts and sometimes wonder if it's just that). Plus I noticed my hair started falling out a bit and my mood swings are out of control, am I crazy or is anyone else experiencing this? I love the feeling of NOT drinking but the worrying is driving me insane! Naltrexone made me sick (but I never quit drinking before I started it - maybe that was the reason, not sure). I appreciate any input! Thanks... Diann.

Hi Diann

Welcome.

I've been taking Topamax for years, my only real complaint is the memory loss which I deal with, sort of. It's better than drinking.

The tingling went away, mood swings? Topamax is a mood enhancer, supposed to moderate your moods.

Why don't you make another appointment with your doctor and discuss your concerns with her? And post over on Just Starting Out, it's a more active board.

You'll meet more people there.

magic xx
    ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
    I am in the next seat.
    My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

Working...
    X