weight gain and baclofen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:new: Hi all -- I've been researching baclofen but can't seem to find anything on weight gain. Has anyone tried it? If so, was weight gain a side effect? Txs.
    Twinkie

I am on Gabapentin and Campral for 9 days You have to know I am taking in 1200 calories less a day have not had any wine...so far up 2 lbs. Anybody have any answers? Is the same happening with your med?

Comment

I've lost 15 or so pounds in the last three months on Bac - less anxiety means I don't drink much, don't smoke much pot and get munchies ...

Comment

I've been on Bac a month and have in that time put on abt 5Kg (11lb).
        It's now starting to stabilize but I find myself really enjoying food so much more that when I was drunk.
        It's a small price to pay for something that has literally saved my life. A few weeks of good exercise and it'll drop right off.
        Diggin' being alive

Comment

I find I'm not as hungry, and definately don't feel like drinking. I hope to lose weight, but it's only been a couple weeks so far.
          AF July 6 2014

Comment

I just started bac 14 days ago and have not experienced weight gain. I'm actually trying to lose weight by eating better and exercising because I've gained about 8 pounds in the last 6 months by not making good food choices and all the drinking. My hope is that once I get to where I don't drink every night, how can I possibly NOT lose weight? I mean...the 600-800 calories I consume daily in alcohol is a huge reason I gained weight in the first place. By cutting those out will certainly have an impact.

Plus I have a great e-book that I got when I started P90X a few years ago that says this:

Alcohol suppresses the body's ability to burn body fat
            The body has no storage capacity for alcohol like it does for carbohydrates and
            fats. Since alcohol must be detoxified as quickly as possible, the oxidation of the alcohol
            takes top priority over the oxidation of other macronutrients. In other words, while the
            liver is busy metabolizing alcohol, the utilization of fats, carbohydrates, and protein has
            to be temporarily suppressed. The burning of fats is suppressed the most, because it?s
            positioned at the bottom of the oxidative hierarchy. Lyle McDonald, author of ?The
            Ketogenic Diet? says, ?The consumption of alcohol will almost completely impair the
            body?s use of fat for fuel.? In the book ?Power Eating,? dietician Susan Kleiner writes,
            ?Alcohol puts fat metabolism on hold. It?s not your friend if you?re trying to stay lean.?

Might be more than what you wanted to know (sorry, i rant sometimes) ;-) but just thought I'd put it out there. I'm totally waiting for indifference so I can lose weight!!!

Em

Comment

Em speaks the truth as I understand it as well. Quitting alcohol seems to bring on some major carb cravings for a lot of people too, and they will fill the void with sweets, donuts, etc., and make up for the alcohol calorie deficit by eating tons more. Plus, without the alcohol screwing up your guts, you will absorb a lot more nutrition from the food you eat. I think the problem is not with baclofen so much as reduced alcohol consumption.

Comment

Moglor I hear waht you are saying re the carb cravings. I now use ice cream and lots of it.
                Diggin' being alive

Comment

Since I stopped drinking I have put on wieght because of all the sugary things Ive been eating and this seems to be getting worse not better, I am going to have to set a date to start drastically changing my diet not just talking about it, knowing what I have been eating theres no way I can blame the meds I take for the weight gain.

Comment

Yeah but Space, things just taste so good now. I'm going to find the change difficult but do-able.
                    Diggin' being alive

Comment

Sorry for jumping in here, I know the question is about meds and Bac in particular, I don't take any of them - but just on the subject of weight loss, since I started trying to stop drinking (Dec. 2009) I've lost over 4 stone without any effort at all. In fact, I never ever ate sweets when drinking, obviously got all the sugar from the booze, and now eat quite a bit of chocolate, anytime I fancy some, I eat it, and the weight just stays off, so - as I say, not really an answer to your question, but deffo. the lack of booze calories made a huge difference.
                      Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                      contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Hi Twinkie,

I have been on baclofen for over a year now. I do believe there is a direct correlation to higher doses of BAC and weight gain. I have had to titrate up to hi my 'switch' twice over the year and then back down to adjust my dose to remain abstinent. Both times I titrated up, I craved tons of carbs & junk food and retained water like crazy (to the tune of 10 pounds both times). However, once I began heading back down to my maintennance dose (usually around 150-160) My weight sorts itself back out and, along with no drinking, my carb cravings tend to normalize.
                        Indifference is in your future with Baclofen. It works!

My frustration with Baclofen, which is shared by Dr. Oliver Ameisen, is that because Baclofen is an off patent medication there is no profit motive for drug companies to support clinical trials that would demonstrate its efficacy in treating addiction.

Comment

Working...
                        X