Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Article that addesses various drug options

All,

I came across this article & thought that I would share. It is very clinical but it discusses all drugs related to alcohol dependence. Kerry

Blackwell Synergy - Cookie Absent

Baby Girl, I couldn't pull it up. What is it about? Could you send it to my email? If so I will give you my addy.
    :new:

Comment

RedGal -- hmm it worked for me when I tried it here. Sure, I'll e-mail it to you.
      I am new too! I am taking Campral and I have Baclofen that was prescribed for a different reason but supposedly it helps with withdrawel. I have tapered off... I tried cold tukey & I failed so bad! Now though I am starting AF -- I am shooting for 30 days.
      BabyGirl

Comment

Babygirl, thanks. It was probably because I checked it at work. I work for DoD and they have HUGE firewalls set up and we cannot see a whole lot of things. Sad to say.

My home email is redgal5@comcast.net

Thanks! You know, I keep thinking of what was in the book about the side-effects and vice or verca. I am willing to try it even with the side effects because I know what the alcohol is doing to my body. Worth a try.

Thanks again!!!!!
        :new:

Comment

Hello, I could not get that article either! It says 'cookie absent' i guess, i am very interested if we can get it up here on the site!

Comment

newbie here

BabyGirl;206894 wrote: All,

I came across this article & thought that I would share. It is very clinical but it discusses all drugs related to alcohol dependence. Kerry

I am so new, I don't even know what AF stands for. I am contemplating the MWO program with the CDs and supplements as outlined in teh bood without the Topamax. Any comments greatly appreciated.

Comment

Trying this again...

Comment

Oh my -- not sure why the link is saying cookies absent -- but it opens when I try it...
                If you google Campral & Baclofen it will pop up within the range of articles. Sorry I can't convey the message better... I feel like such a frog!

Comment

It doesn't work. I think my computer is trying to block their cookies . or the cookies are corrupt
                  You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Hi Gals,
                    This is the link I found: Blackwell Synergy - Cookie Absent

except subscription is required to view full article.. here is abstract (there are a bunch of references below which may bore some but be useful to others so I've left in):

Acamprosate (calcium acetylhomotaurine) is used therapeutically in Europe to reduce relapse in weaned alcoholics. However, the mechanisms of acamprosate action in the central nervous system are still obscure, although early studies suggested an action on GABA receptors. The nucleus accumbens (NAcc) is a brain region thought to underlie ethanol reinforcement. Recent studies from our laboratory have demonstrated that ethanol inhibits both N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) and non-NMDA types of glutamatergic synaptic transmission in the NAcc.1,2 In the present study, we used voltage- and current-clamp intracellular recording of NAcc core neurons in a slice preparation to examine acamprosate actions on resting membrane properties and pharmacologically isolated synaptic responses. We isolated NMDA and non-NMDA receptor-mediated excitatory postsynaptic potentials or currents (EPSP/Cs) with 6-cyano-7-nitro-quinoxaline-2,3-dione (CNQX) and DL-2-amino-5-phosphonovaler-ate (d-APV), respectively. Bicuculline was also included to block GABAA receptors. Superfusion of acamprosate (5, 50, and 300 μM) did not alter the resting membrane properties of NAcc neurons. However, 300 μM acamprosate significantly increased the NMDA receptor-mediated components of EPSP/Cs (NMDA-EPSP/Cs) with recovery on washout. In contrast, 300 μM acamprosate had no significant effect on the non-NMDA receptor component of the EPSP/Cs (non-NMDA-EPSP/Cs). To test acamprosate actions on the GABA system, we superfused 60 μM d-APV and 20 μM CNQX to block glutamatergic transmission and evoked monosynaptic GABAA receptor-mediated synaptic responses within the NAcc. Acamprosate (300 μM) did not change these monosynaptic GABAA-IPSCs. We also used a paired-pulse paradigm to test whether acamprosate could act on presynaptic GABAB, autoreceptors, in the presence of d-APV and CNQX to block glutamatergic transmission. Like 0.5 μM CGP 34358 (a GABAB receptor blocker), acamprosate significantly decreased the paired-pulse inhibition (PPI) of GABAA-IPSCs at short interstimulus intervals (ISIs). Thus, acamprosate may concomitantly enhance NMDA-EPSP/Cs while blocking presynaptic GABAB receptor-mediated inhibition of GABA release. These results suggest that acamprosate's clinical efficacy in preventing relapse in weaned alcoholics could derive from its interactions with both the glutamatergic and GABAergic systems in the NAcc.

Synaptic Transmission, Alcohol, Ethanol, EPSPs, NMDA Receptors.

This article is cited by:
                    Darin J. Knapp, David H. Overstreet, and George R. Breese. (2007) Baclofen Blocks Expression and Sensitization of Anxiety-Like Behavior in an Animal Model of Repeated Stress and Ethanol Withdrawal. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research 31:4, 582–595
                    Abstract Abstract and References Full Text Article Full Article PDF
                    Tobie Escher & Guy Mittleman. (2006) Schedule-induced alcohol drinking: non-selective effects of acamprosate and naltrexone. Addiction Biology 11:1, 55–63
                    Abstract Abstract and References Full Text Article Full Article PDF
                    Karl F Mann, Falk Kiefer. (2006) Acamprosate in the treatment of alcoholism: mechanisms and perspectives. Future Neurology 1:3, 277
                    CrossRef
                    SHELDON H. PRESKORN, SILVANA BORGES, DAVID FLOCKHART. (2006) Clinically Relevant Pharmacology of Neuropsychiatric Drugs Approved Over the Last Three Years: Part I. Journal of Psychiatric Practice 12:4, 244
                    CrossRef
                    Michael Cowen, Cameron Adams, Tracey Kraehenbuehl, Valentina Vengeliene & Andrew Lawrence. (2005) The acute anti-craving effect of acamprosate in alcohol-preferring rats is associated with modulation of the mesolimbic dopamine system. Addiction Biology 10:3, 233–242
                    Abstract Abstract and References Full Article PDF
                    Susan M. Brasser, Mary E. McCaul and Elisabeth J. Houtsmuller. (2004) Alcohol Effects During Acamprosate Treatment: A Dose-Response Study in Humans. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research 28:7, 1074–1083
                    Teodoro Zornoza, María J. Cano, Ana Polache and Luis Granero. (2003) Pharmacology of Acamprosate: An Overview. CNS Drug Reviews 9:4, 359–374
                    Barton R. Harris, Mark A. Prendergast, D. Alex Gibson, D. Trent Rogers, John A. Blanchard, Robert C. Holley, May C. Fu, Stewart R. Hart, Norman W. Pedigo, John M. Littleton. (2002) Acamprosate Inhibits the Binding and Neurotoxic Effects of Trans-ACPD, Suggesting a Novel Site of Action at Metabotropic Glutamate Receptors. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research 26:12, 1779–1793
                    Isidore Pelc, Constant Ansoms, Philippe Lehert, Felix Fischer, Werner-Joachim Fuchs, Frédéric Landron, Anton José Pires Preto, Marsha Y. Morgan. (2002) The European NEAT Program: An Integrated Approach Using Acamprosate and Psychosocial Support for the Prevention of Relapse in Alcohol-Dependent Patients With a Statistical Modeling of Therapy Success Prediction. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research 26:10, 1529–1538
                    Sveta Mayer, Barton R. Harris, D. Alex Gibson, John A. Blanchard, Mark A. Prendergast, Robert C. Holley, John Littleton. (2002) Acamprosate, MK-801, and Ifenprodil Inhibit Neurotoxicity and Calcium Entry Induced by Ethanol Withdrawal in Organotypic Slice Cultures From Neonatal Rat Hippocampus. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research 26:10, 1468–1478
                    Sveta Mayer, Barton Harris, D. Alex Gibson, John Blanchard, Mark A. Prendergast, Robert C. Holley, and John Littleton. (2002) Acamprosate Has No Effect on NMDA-Induced Toxicity But Reduces Toxicity Induced by Spermidine or by Changing the Medium in Organotypic Hippocampal Slice Cultures From Rat. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research 26:5, 655–662
                    George F. Koob, Barbara J. Mason, Philippe de Witte, John Littleton, and George R. Siggins. (2002) Potential Neuroprotective Effects of Acamprosate. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research 26:4, 586–592
                    Isidore Pelc, Constant Ansoms, Philippe Lehert, Felix Fischer, Werner-Joachim Fuchs, Fr??d??ric Landron, Anton Jos?? Pires Preto, Marsha Y. Morgan. (2002) The European NEAT Program: An Integrated Approach Using Acamprosate and Psychosocial Support for the Prevention of Relapse in Alcohol-Dependent Patients With a Statistical Modeling of Therapy Success Prediction. Alcoholism Clinical and Experimental Research 26:10, 1529
                    CrossRef
                    George F. Koob, Barbara J. Mason, Philippe De Witte, John Littleton, George R. Siggins. (2002) Potential Neuroprotective Effects of Acamprosate. Alcoholism Clinical and Experimental Research 26:4, 586
                    CrossRef
                    Barton R. Harris, Mark A. Prendergast, D. Alex Gibson, D. Trent Rogers, John A. Blanchard, Robert C. Holley, May C. Fu, Stewart R. Hart, Norman W. Pedigo, John M. Littleton. (2002) Acamprosate Inhibits the Binding and Neurotoxic Effects of Trans-ACPD, Suggesting a Novel Site of Action at Metabotropic Glutamate Receptors. Alcoholism Clinical and Experimental Research 26:12, 1779
                    CrossRef
                    Sveta Mayer, Barton Harris, D. Alex Gibson, John Blanchard, Mark A. Prendergast, Robert C. Holley, John Littleton. (2002) Acamprosate Has No Effect on NMDA-Induced Toxicity But Reduces Toxicity Induced by Spermidine or by Changing the Medium in Organotypic Hippocampal Slice Cultures From Rat. Alcoholism Clinical and Experimental Research 26:5, 655
                    CrossRef
                    Michael Soyka, Ulrich Preuss, Christian Schuetz. (2002) Use of Acamprosate and Different Kinds of Psychosocial Support in Relapse Prevention of Alcoholism. Drugs in R & D 3:1, 1
                    CrossRef
                    Sveta Mayer, Barton R. Harris, D. Alex Gibson, John A. Blanchard, Mark A. Prendergast, Robert C. Holley, John Littleton. (2002) Acamprosate, MK-801, and Ifenprodil Inhibit Neurotoxicity and Calcium Entry Induced by Ethanol Withdrawal in Organotypic Slice Cultures From Neonatal Rat Hippocampus. Alcoholism Clinical and Experimental Research 26:10, 1468
                    CrossRef
                    Mona al Qatari, Shabeena Khan, Barton Harris and John Littleton. (2001) Acamprosate Is Neuroprotective Against Glutamate-Induced Excitotoxicity When Enhanced by Ethanol Withdrawal in Neocortical Cultures of Fetal Rat Brain. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research 25:9, 1276–1283
                    Barbara S. Slusher, Ajit Thomas, Mousumi Paul, Christina A. Schad, Charles R. Ashby. (2001) Expression and acquisition of the conditioned place preference response to cocaine in rats is blocked by selective inhibitors of the enzyme N-acetylated-α-linked-acidic dipeptidase (NAALADASE). Synapse 41:1, 22
                    CrossRef
                    Jan Courtyn, Patrick Goethals, Johan Van der Eycken, Richard Dams. (2001) Synthesis of11C-labelled acamprosate for PET studies. Journal of Labelled Compounds and Radiopharmaceuticals 44:9, 643
                    CrossRef
                    Mona al Qatari, Shabeena Khan, Barton Harris, John Littleton. (2001) Acamprosate Is Neuroprotective Against Glutamate-Induced Excitotoxicity When Enhanced by Ethanol Withdrawal in Neocortical Cultures of Fetal Rat Brain. Alcoholism Clinical and Experimental Research 25:9, 1276
                    CrossRef
                    D. L. McKinzie, T.-K. Li, W. J. McBride, & B. S. Slusher,. (2000) NAALADase inhibition reduces alcohol consumption in the alcohol-preferring (P) line of rats. Addiction Biology 5:4, 411–416
                    D.N. Stephens and G. Brown. (1999) Disruption of Operant Oral Self-Administration of Ethanol, Sucrose, and Saccharin by the AMP/Kainate Antagonist, NBQX, but Not the AMPA Antagonist, GYKI 52466. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research 23:12, 1914–1920

Comment

haha they're clever.. they delete the link & replace with the 'cookie absent' thing.
                      The website is Blackwell Synergy - Cookie Absent if anyone wants to check it out.

Comment

damn!! they're clever.. you know what i'm trying to say: www . blackwell-synergy . com
                        just don't used the spaces. for some reason if you copy & paste the web address it comes up with the 'cookie absent' thing - they must not want any subscribers!! :H
                        perhaps it's come kinda cold war hangover

Comment

Working...
                        X