Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Citalopram and 5HTP...safe?

just been doing a littel googling and found the following:
    I'm no doctor...does it seem there is a contraindication for combining Citalopram and the supplement 5HTP?

Citalopram hydrobromide is a highly selective and potent serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine 5-HT) reuptake inhibitor with minimal effects on the neuronal reuptake of norepinephrine (NE) and dopamine (DA). The ability of citalopram to potentiate serotonergic activity in the central nervous system via inhibition of the neuronal reuptake of serotonin is thought to be responsible for its antidepressant action. Tolerance to the inhibition of serotonin reuptake is not induced by long term (14 days) treatment of rats with citalopram.

Citalopram has no or very low affinity for a series of receptors including serotonin 5-HT1A, 5-HT2, dopamine D1, and D2, a1-, a2-, b-adrenergic, histamine H1, muscarinic cholinergic, benzodiazepine, gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) and opioid receptors.

and:

5-HT1 Agonists
    There have been rare postmarketing reports describing patients with weakness, hyperreflexia and incoordination, following the concomitant use of a SSRI and the antimigraine drug sumatriptan, a 5-HT1 agonist. Such interaction should be considered if citalopram is to be used in combination with a 5-HT1 agonist.
    nosce te ipsum
    (Know Thyself)

5HTP and cipramil (citalopram) both have anti-depressant effects - like St John's Wort, it would be unwise to take together as could incease the risk of side-effects. This is straight from my Dr's mouth - don't take anti-deps and then take more anti-deps, natural or not.

Cheers
    Cashy
    "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Comment

in other words no not safe....

Comment

thanks Cashmeister!
        nosce te ipsum
        (Know Thyself)

Comment

hehehe - i wish i knew nothing, i really do!!!!!

erk

Cashy

Comment

I think in our research section there might be something posted on serotonin syndrome...

Comment

Yes, you're right

You're referring to Serotonin Syndrome and it's dangerous. 5HTP is great stuff but contraindicated for those taking MAO's, SSRI's and some other meds. The SSRI's you may be most familiar with include Celexa, Cipramil, Lexapro, Cipralex, Prozac, Luvox, Paxil and Zoloft, but there are a number of others. For more information about Serotonin Snydrome, check out the Wikipedia entry here. Wiki also has a thorough list of all SSRI's.

RJ
              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Help keep our forum strong--make a contribution to My Way Out. Or show your support by becoming a Subscriber and enjoy enhanced features, as well!

Comment

bump for the thread in holistic

Comment

Working...
                X