Anti-depressants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anti-depressants

Read this in the paper today (yeah I read the Daily Mail!!!) and thought I'd post the online link.

SO what do YOU think??!!!

Anti-depressants taken by thousands of Brits 'do NOT work', major new study reveals | the Daily Mail
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Anti-depressants

Very interesting.........I believe it.

Comment

Anti-depressants

I wasn't on prozac for long but when I was, I have never felt so bad....I wrote out my last wishes etc.... don't want to go there again. Janicexxx
      AF since 9 May 2012
      Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

Anti-depressants

The one thing I found hard to ignore was if the drug companies really are swindling doctor's/chemists etc then who is really to know what else they get up to behind closed doors. I have very serious doubts about the current flu vaccine that has slowly crept it's way into the limelight over recent years. I wouldn't go to the extent of some extreme conspiracy theorists over this but I am weary of how large chemical companies and the governments have had a hand in hand role concerning a lot of drugs/vaccines on the market.

What I was shocked to find though is that seroxat is still widely prescribed. I was a total psycho on them when I was drinking. They should never be prescribed to anyone who has a drink problem. It's no good just saying DON'T DRINK ALCOHOL when taking these meds. It doesn't work when you have a serious addiction. I was violent and suicidal at times and days I just couldn't stop myself from crying for no apparent reason. I nearly threw my own mother down the stairs and that was when I wasn't drinking!!!.

There's always gonna be conflicting viewpoints on this though as body metabolism has a lot to do with it I think. But why don't they test these things with people who have just that. How long do you carry on saying it's down to individual and nothing really ever gets done or properly tested/researched.

Love and Happiness
        Hippie
        xx
        "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Anti-depressants

Maybe RJ could enlighten us a bit on how medical research is structured and developed as far as these particular types of meds go!!!!

Comment

Anti-depressants

hi hippie ive taken seroxat for 15 years now and dont have any of the side effects you mention its only when i try to come off them the problems start,by the way im new here and are we the only scousers

Comment

Anti-depressants

CBS

CBS ran the same story this morning on it's morning show. Also had on guy who wrote a book about the value of nutrients on the brain and helping depression - he highlighted fish oils (Omega 3 - 6 - 9) which is what our EPO is. WAY TO GO RJ !! He also talked about the secondary key after nutrition being exercise (releasing endorphans and stimulating cells). MYO covers the bases guys. Stick with the program. ME ... 58 days AF ODAT and I've come to the conclusion that it's not worth the risk to me to try to moderate. Something that I decided on day one that I would wait until day 60 to decide. Well - I've decided it on day 58 ... No AL for me. I think I am an "AL" or nothing person ..... cuz now I am addicted to the MWO program!!! :H

Liv - ODAT AL Free
              AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

Anti-depressants

i think antidepressants are over prescribed. you just tell the doc you feel blue and blam! next thing you know you are spending over 100 bucks a month on pills that make you feel speedy but don't help.

I must say that some people really do have serious depression problems and need to stay medicated.

I would never suggest to a seriously depressed person to come off an antidepressant.

yeah and booze and SSRI's truly don't mix.
                I have a friend who almost killed herself on Paxal and vodka. She's now sober and not depressed and says that was the worse thing she has ever experienced.

Trix
                You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Anti-depressants

The article says they only work for the "seriously depressed". Probably people with lifelong depression, like me, are helped but those with "situational depression", not so much. They sure have helped me, no doubt about it, the problem is the side effects, like trouble sleeping, ugh! I feel like I can't live with them & can't live without them.
                  Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                  - George Jackson

Comment

Anti-depressants

Something about Prozac

I do think that anti-depresants are abused in our society. However, I have really appreciated anti-depresants. My alcohol abuse aside (which is only (ONLY!) the last 7 years), I have sufferered from anxiety my whole life. Anxiety that is irrational, and I am a very rational person. I am always ready for new information. Right now I feel like Prozac has increased my quality of life.

:new:
                    http://localhost/gimport/cache/avatars/a career....a family to care for....gee! I've got it all!!

Comment

Anti-depressants

I was told I have irregular depression or something like that, it is based on a "bad childhood"....well they got that part right. Anyway, I guess when the childhood years are depressing as the brain forms it becomes a permanent thing. Long term use of antidepressants plus the alcohol, no wonder everyone in my family dies in their fifties!!!!!!!
                      Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                      - George Jackson

Comment

Working...
                      X