Topa Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topa Question

I have some topa but am afraid to take it - question - can I start at like 75mg? And can I take it all at night? Or do I have to start at 25 and gradually work my way up? I hear people saying that 125 is where the cravings really start to wean out..........I'd rather take it all at night but I'm not sure how that would affect me?

Any advice guys? I need to get this under control.
    Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
    :h

Topa Question

Hi Universal!

I would definaltely not start at 75mgs... it is a good idea to start at 25mgs and go up. You can take that for say five nights then up to 50mgs for four-five nights and so on. I only take 50mgs and have great luck with that. I only take it at night. I know that a lot of members only take it at night as well. If you only drink at night I think it is fine. I take mine at around 4pm, an hour before I would normally start to drink. Many people that only take it in the evenings are fine with doses as low as 50mgs-100mgs, but you will find what works for you. I have found it really helps with the cravings. I have tried both on and off the topa and been very sucessful with it..

But definaltely don't start with 75mgs, that is too much too fast.

Hope this helps.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions...

MM
    Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Topa Question

Hi Uni,
      I agree with Meditation mama, don't start at 75 mgs...everything I read says start at 25, and increase by 25 mgs no sooner than every 4 days. I can tell you what I did, and I DO take it at night because of the side effects and the pressures of my job.

MWO suggests after the initial first dose, that you split the doses into twice a day, morning and afternoon. Because I get really dopey and have word retrieval issues, AND because I am a night time drinker, I chose to take my first dose right before I leave work. I take my second dose as I get ready for bed.

I noticed that the side effects are worse the first few hours after I take the pills. They are also worse the first few days after I increase the dosage. For that reason, I chose to take the pills as I leave work. I have also been increasing my dosage on Fridays, so that my first few days on my increased dosages are on weekends.

I just increased to 100mgs yesterday. Feel free to PM me also if you like.
      Be of good cheer. Do not think of today's failures, but of the success that may come tomorrow. You have set yourselves a difficult task, but you will succeed if you persevere; and you will find joy in overcoming obstacles (Helen Keller)

Comment

Topa Question

I agree with the above advice: start low and go slow. I take mine morning and evening. I did a week at 25, than a week at 50 etc. I didn't really notice any side effects worth mentioning until 75 mg. I am at 100mg and feel most days like the "switch" has clicked.

I like the idea of taking 2x/ day 4 PM and bedtime, I may try that to avoid some of the word finding side effects, but I more reliably remember to take meds in the morning.
        It is important that you establish a pattern for taking that you can maintain. One week I missed several evening doses and I noticed a lot of symptoms that week, so it's not a drug to mess with that way

I did get around the soda issue tasting funny by pouring it out of the can into a glass or cup ;-).

Best to you.
        G

Comment

Working...
        X