thinking of starting it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thinking of starting it

So I have been doing a lot of research on the topamax and am thinking of getting it. I am a bit nervous about taking drugs that arent presribed to me though. I know that my doctors wont do the off lable presription but should I 1) take it anyways, 2) tell my doctors that I am taking it just in case 3) not take it or 4) take it and find support via online over any smyptoms, side effects, drug interactions ect...
    I am still tyring to understand my own addiction but I dont think that I ever Crave alcohol.. for me it is more of a compulsion. If it is there.. I will drink it till its gone... does any one get that? Will topamax help with that?

Thanks everyone

thinking of starting it

Hi Minimouse:

Not sure where you live, or why you're sure you're doc won't prescribe 'off label'. I'm in the US and when I originally told my doc of my goal to cut alcohol intake he said "there are drugs to help that" so that when I went back to ask for Topo there was no problem. He also prescribes Topo for weight loss! so I guess this is not considered "off label" in our locality.

RE: will Topo help w/ "compulsion" vs. craving? I'm not sure I can differentiate the two for you. . . Initially I would have said I did not have cravings, but rather felt that "I" would decide not to drink, and it would seem "another" decided to pour: is that craving or compulsion? . . I don't know.

All I can tell you is that with MWO, effort, work and support I have been successfully modderating for almost 5 months and I DO NOT drink all that is there and am almost always "completely satisfied" with one or two drinks. Mind you for the first 4 months I did not have alcohol in the house, and only drank when out with others, where access to alcohol was limited. I still have to be very mindful with alcohol at home alone.

RE: whether to take meds with or without doc knowing, that depends on your age, health problems and other meds you might be taking. I'd say if you are young, have no other health problems and take no other meds, there is probably enough info on this website re: side effects and dosage adjustments to get you through. Although not a replacement for medical advice, this site does provide a level of insight and help that you won't find many places.

If you do take Topo I'll just add my 2 cents re: side effects: it took me 4 months to find a dose and schedule in which I didn't have side effects (tingling, some word loss). I wish I'd read advice earlier to consider evening dosing. Also, start low and go slow. I had symptoms on 100 mg and when I switched to 75 (split 25 am/50 pm) all symptoms ceased - YA hooo!) I figured you needed at least 100 to work, but NOT TRUE!

Hope that is helpful? Best to you!
    AFH

Comment

thinking of starting it

AFH

So you think it's much better to medicate at night then? I just started at 25mg in the early afternoon and feel like a dope the rest of the day.

Thanks,

B

Comment

thinking of starting it

Thank you soo much for the information. That was really helpful... I quess I am nervous about what my doc is going to say. He doesnt seem that up to speed in the addictions area. We will see. Thank you again for your help.

Comment

thinking of starting it

Hi Barton;

Can't say for sure what is "best". But I started with morning dosing and the tingling and word finding bothered me. As I increased the dose I started split dosing, and then it seemed to make more sense to take the bigger dose in the evening so that the side effects would be while I was sleeping.

So if the side effects bother you after the first two weeks, I'd say evening dosing is worth a try.
          AFH

Comment

thinking of starting it

Appreciated

Thanks AFH, I appreciate your help and advice!

Just for everyone's general info:
            I'm on my fourth day of 25mg of Topa and started taking it in the evenings after one day in the morning. I still feel dopey most of the time generally and would say that I am only drinking a little less so far (I was going through about half of a 1.75L per day of vodka, gin, or scotch), but I'm not expecting perfection in a short time. I'm taking MWO kudzu also and ordered the L-Glut. I'm surprised at how tired I am (even though that is a side effect). My memory is okay (no worse anyway) and driving while on topa for me is fine. I'm 36, male, 5'10" 180 lbs. I can say that even in this short time on topa I don't feel like I'm getting the enjoyment from the booze that I did. I'm getting headaches a lot more and not getting the pleasant buzz. I feel like I am doing it just out of habit and am frankly getting a bit annoyed when I go to the cupboard and find the bottle as empty as it is. I'll keep posting.

Best,

Barton:new:

Comment

thinking of starting it

I'm, stsrting my third week today and I have to say this week has been a big improvement in the side effects. I had been AF for quite awhile before I started it but went on it because the cravings were coming back with a vengence. This week I literally have not craved once and I've had the energy to keep busy enough to not sit and think about AL.

Comment

thinking of starting it

minimouse;334449 wrote: So I have been doing a lot of research on the topamax and am thinking of getting it. I am a bit nervous about taking drugs that arent presribed to me though. I know that my doctors wont do the off lable presription but should I 1) take it anyways, 2) tell my doctors that I am taking it just in case 3) not take it or 4) take it and find support via online over any smyptoms, side effects, drug interactions ect...
                I am still tyring to understand my own addiction but I dont think that I ever Crave alcohol.. for me it is more of a compulsion. If it is there.. I will drink it till its gone... does any one get that?
                Will topamax help with that?

Thanks everyone
                I get it and abused AL the same way. I just realized that my brain is wired differently and I have no off switch with AL. I don't need to analyze it further. Why not try the Kudzu from this site first? It may be all you need.

Comment

thinking of starting it

I stopped wasting my time asking WHY I DRANK and just accepted that I did drink and since it was me that was doing it,then it could only me me that stops doing it.I FINALLY DID AND LIFE IS NOW A JOY .....I WISH THE SAME FOR YOU !!!!!!!......EVIE
                  sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

thinking of starting it

i get the compulsion where i cant stop either! its part of the disease. although there are def different types of alcoholics. let me know how ur doing via email. ttyl

Comment

thinking of starting it

Titrating

Up to 50mg Topa (25 morning/25 night), in addition to Kudzu and L-Glut. 9th day. I am drinking less. The Topa makes me really tired and my memory is worse than when I wrote last for sure. I'm sleeping 10-12 hours a day, can't focus on much for more than a few minutes, but I am drinking less. That's the big thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X