Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

naltrexone + wellbutrin for weight loss??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi! i'm new to this forum. discovered naltrexone and found it worked wonders (almost too good to be true)--no more cravings, no more 'secret' drinking, etc.

i saw an article about a weight loss drug that is currently in clinical trial stage called "contrave." it's a combination of naltrexone + wellbutrin (same as zyban or buproprion). i've been on wellbutrin for years and obviously am now on naltrexone.

just wondering if any of you out there who have been on both have lost any weight?

Have not been on both at the same time.

You? Have you made progress on both?

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

hi again--

sorry, i should have been more clear in my first posting. i only recently started on the naltrexone but have been on wellbutrin for years. in addition to eliminating my cravings for booze, i noticed i've also been less hungry. i haven't weighed myself so i really can't say if it's working for me (also i imagine just drinking less period would cause weight loss b/c you're consuming so many fewer calories). but who knows?

the clinical trials of that drug that combines naltrexone and wellbutrin have shown some success but not a lot (i think average weight loss of 10% over 18-24 weeks or something). naltrexone is also being studied as a way to reduce binge eating--particularly for people who binge on sweets. i wonder if the naltroxene/wellbutrin combo as a weight loss tool is mostly effective for people who respond to naltroxene for reducing alcohol intake. new studies have found that there are specific genetic markers of people who respond to naltroxene for alcoholism--maybe they're the same ones for sweets (i.e., it blocks the opioid receptors from sending pleasurable signals to your brain once you consume the sweet).

sorry to go on and on...these are just some thoughts i had.

Comment

Working...
      X