experiences with topa, camerol, meds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what has everyones experience been with these medications for alcohol abuse? i know how kudzu works, i assume it is milder than these medss, as it is an herb, but im not sure. so whats everyones experience? are they miracle workers or do you still have to try real hard? do they help you stop once you start, do you have to be completely af, etc

Hi me145. I have tried the topa and have found it helps with the really bad cravings but I still have to try real hard because so much of it is my inner voice telling me to drink. If you decide to do the topa, my suggestion to you would be to try and get some AF days in prior to starting on it and when you go on the topa really plan on stopping drinking because IMHO you don't want to be on the topa for an extended period of time both for health reasons and for financial reasons (if it isn't being prescribed by your MD and your insurance isn't paying for it). Another thing always dose up slowly on the topa (25 mg/day to start and increase in 25 mg increment on no less than a weekly basis-it is in the book) and only dose up to the amount you feel you need to help curb the cravings. I'm at 150 mg/day.

Comment

Yes me145 – I would agree with cuckoosnest83. I have been on Topamax going on 4 months and like many on this site have found it to be an effective anti-cravings medication. Speaking for me - I think that a person still needs to have the desire to confront their excessive drinking - but not having the monkey on your back pulling you into the liquor store or bar makes it a lot easier. Topamax does have side effects, but I found that they diminished over time, and became fairly tolerable - especially compared to the hangovers most everyday. I also agree with cuckoosnest83 on the decision to go alcohol free. Some here use Topamax to move toward moderation, but I found that the drug and alcohol did not mix very well for me and in fact tended to make matters worse. Definitely dose up slowly in order to avoid early side-effects. The initial dose normally is low and increased in slow steps. The usual initial dose is 25 daily and recommended increments are 25 every 1 or 2 weeks. Common doses for maintenance treatment are 100 to 200 mg daily. I take 100mg in the morning. Hope this helps and best of luck. Please let us know how it goes as we are always looking for feedback.

Comment

Hi - I just started taking the Topamax yesterday, starting at 25mg. I had tried going AF in May, but only managed about half the days, and I really want to do a 30day stretch, and would like the extra help, which I am hoping the Topa will give me. I have been very nervous about it, given the side effects though, but finally went to the clinic and the doctor gave me a short term prescription for it, with instructions to see my regular doctor so she can be on board with me in my goals. The thing is, the pharmacist told me to take it at night, as it would make me drowsy, so i did, and I had terrible visions/dreams and couldn't sleep at all, so today I took it in the afternoon, and I was ok. Does drowsiness affect you at all at the level you take it?? I see Roberta has it dosing up to 300mg, which seems like alot!! You would think dosing up to that level would take 3 months and then it would be time to dose down again!!! I also am not sure how long to go on it. I want to Mod in the long run, so I guess I will just see how it goes and how the side affects are with me.
        Thanks for this thread - I needed it!
        Peanut

Comment

Topamax and drowsiness

Hi Peanut

Most people experience the lack of mental clarity, drowsiness, etc. with Topamax. You may want to look at Adrafinil (Olmifon). This was recommended by Roberta in the MWO book. It acts on the central nervous system to increase alertness and acts as a mild stimulant without the bad side effects (jitters and you can sleep on it). It really helped me get thru the first couple months. I take 600 mg of Adrafinil in the morning to offset the 100mg of Topamax that I currently take. The key to Topamax is to dose up slowly as it is a powerful drug - but I have found the benefits ? an AF lifestyle to offset the side effects.

Here is a link for the Adrafinil - but there are other sources online. Hope this helps.

Adrafinil (Olmifon) 40x300mg Tablets Biogenesis AntiAging

Comment

Thinks Miracle,
            I have some work here today and tomorrow that is quite complex and I am trying to get it complete before it start getting any side effects that effect clarity of thinking - hopefully, by the end of the week, this particular test will be done, although I will still have to analyze results! - hey - wish me luck!!!! I will be only on 25mg until the end of the week and will start at 50mg next week, so i will see how it goes.
            Peanut!

Comment

Pea-NUT..as Miracle says.

Yes, one must DOSE-UP slowly...i find myself forgetting names or having to think about simple things. Its a maintance drug, keeps you on track. It is the key to my sobriety no doubt at this point. It works. :h

Comment

I was on Topa for 7 weeks. I don't regret it - but I know I like feeling sober without it. It was like "putting a fog, over a fog" to me. It does take away the al cravings but I also think it puts a fog on life. I felt like I could have THAT with drinking. I wanted to feel clear and clean. i felt the OPPOSITE of this while on topa. Bottom line: I believe it should be a short term transition. Thats just me

Liv
                AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

Topa dosing

It is not a miracle drug -- gosh I sure wish it were. I started dosing up at the beg. of May and I don't think it reduces cravings enough -- but I am just now moving into the 100 mg phase. So maybe it will work better at higher doses. One word of caution -- if you miss a few doses and go back, you might feel really jittery and tingly -- that happened to me yesterday, but I was also extremely hungover. I am going to stay on it for little while, but not sure how long, because it is expensive (for a free voucher for 42 25-mg tabs. check out topamax.com)

I guess, unfortunately, our drinking patterns are as compicated as our emotions and our lives. In response to some other questions, I have not found myself drowsy at all -- as I said -- I was a jangly mess yesterday but I think there was other stuff going on. I agree. 300 mg does seem like a lot. There used to be a Dr Linda Garcia who worked on the book with RJ and she used to post here once a month or so, but I think she is no longer affiliated with MWO (not for any negative reason but just lack of time, was the impression I got).

Livingfree, I have heard your comments as well about Topa. Ihave also heard the same comments shared about ADs, which is why I am hesitant to go on them....but I am going to go on Citalopram anyway. I don't feel like Topa is fogging me up, but life/depression is fogging me down.

Everyone, keep the comments coming. I will go up to 100 mg of Topa tomorrow.

Thanks,
                  CS

Comment

L-Tryptophan

Hope this doesn't post twice.
                    I ran across this when I clicked on the link that Its a mircle provided. Thanks mircle this is a really good website for information. Has anyone tried this? Hope the link works. If not use mircles link and click on alcoholism. I am so not good at taking pills I would like to be able to just take 1 pill. The Adranfinil sounds great except the liver testing that should be done, don't need extra expenses. Going to do more research on these and maybe take it to my Dr. Now if this would help me quit smoking too I'd have it made.

L-Tryptophan 50x500mg Capsules Biogenesis AntiAging
                    If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at begin to change.

Comment

L-Glut question; etc.

The updated supp list suggests 1000-3000 mg of l-glut, to be taken in morning with the All One and -- if you are taking more than 1000 mg, at dinner with the B-50, because it is better absorbed with the B vitamins. My question is: by the time dinner is done (8-9 pm), my time for craving is done, so should I really bother with the evening dosage, or does it build up in your system to ward off cravings in general? My gut is also telling me that maybe I should take the B-50 and glut closer to 5 pm/before dinner/witching hour.

I am also running out of Kudzu (the stuff I bought from Planetary Herbals, Kudzu Recovery, was worthless IMO) but the MWO Kudzu Rescue is a little pricey.

Comment

I think you can take L-glut anytime you want to. I used to. I don't take it anymore, though.

As for the Kudzu, I don't take that anymore either, but when I did, the only stuff that ever worked for me was the Kudzu I bought from MWO. No other kudzu seems to work the same - I think the quality of RJ's kudzu is just higher - hence the higher price but worth the money if you are taking it seriously.

I am also piping up about the topa. I have been taking it since last September. I take 200 mg per day now. I have a Dr's Rx for it so my insurance covers it but my Doc has me take a kidney blood test every 6 months. I was already AF for over two years before starting the topa but my life became so much better after taking the topa. My cravings which I still had even after two years mostly went away. It was like a huge weight had been lifted from me. I love it.

I had a few minor side effects when I first started but they went away fairly quickly. I feel no side effects at all now and plan to stay on it as long as I can. As long as it's not hurting me and I'm happy, why not? I'm sure I could do fine without it, but it was just such a huge relief in my life after many years of successful sobriety but constant struggle. I'm enjoying this new freedom from cravings for now. This is first time I can ever remember being basically free from cravings - and I'm no spring chicken!!!

That's just my experience. Everyone has different stories to tell.

Good luck to all of you!!!!
                        Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

Working...
                        X