Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topamax without a Dr's Prescription

Hi All:

I'm in the medical profession, but chose to order Topa thru off shore pharmacy. I'm anxiously waiting for it to arrive. I am so ready. Perhaps I had better get the book and the vitamins in the mean time?

Tessa04

Comment

Absolutely, Tess, read the book, get started on all the other aspects of the program! You will begin to feel better, the more things you do in the direction of getting free from the alcohol.

wip

Comment

Priorities

Thanks. You want to hear something funny? I actually balked at the price of the Topa, the supplements, and the book! Wonder how much I spent on vodka last month??? When you look at it that way, there isn't any question.

Comment

Yeah, I know, it's funny, and sad, and funny!!! Oh well. You are moving in the right direction!

wip

Comment

Tess04;391581 wrote: Thanks. You want to hear something funny? I actually balked at the price of the Topa, the supplements, and the book! Wonder how much I spent on vodka last month??? When you look at it that way, there isn't any question.
            Tess, I did the same thing. Then added up the wine from the last month. $600-$800 dollars a month! YIKES! Add my smoking habit in there and I could be driving a Rolls Royce! LOL

Also waiting for my Topa. Agree on getting the CDs and supps. For me, this time around I will suceed and am going to arm myself with every tool I can get my hands on!

WTE

Comment

I am new to this site and found it by googling my own request for help of my drinking habit. I understand hesitance in talking with doctors regarding drinking behavior and seeking help. I, too, was nervous about talking with my doctor about just how much I drink (and even when I did, I low-balled the estimate just a bit). I didn't ask for topamax, even though I know about it and the recent studies. I had it in the back of my mind.

I can see both sides of this issue, because I am a doctor, too. I see patients every day that have reached the end-point of addiction. Heart failure, kidney failure, liver failure, brain disease, cancer, etc. Patients who have had everything taken from them to a point where alcohol (or cocaine, heroin, meth) is the only shelter they have from the misery life has become. Early on, these drugs are like an umbrella during a slight drizzle. It keeps us dry from life's stressors. However, what they also do is fail to let us see that the rain gets heavier when we use them because we continue to stay "dry". Then, once the rain builds to hurricane strength, we continue to stick with our umbrella because it worked in the past. In the end we can get washed away because we believe our umbrella is the only protection we have.

Doctors see all spectrums of this disease and I know from experience that we would rather help a person earlier by assisting with medical interventions than have to manage the very difficult health problems that prolonged substance abuse can cause. There should be no personal judgement rendered, only pleasure that we are helping someone that is asking for assistance with their problem. Any doctor that is worth a damn (and not all, but most, of us are) will feel this way, and be glad to help

Writing this has been helpful for me, and I hope it has been for you too.

I will be in the newbie forum "Thirty days hath September" thread. I am going to attempt my first AF days.

Comment

IisMe;392575 wrote: become. Early on, these drugs are like an umbrella during a slight drizzle. It keeps us dry from life's stressors. However, what they also do is fail to let us see that the rain gets heavier when we use them because we continue to stay "dry". Then, once the rain builds to hurricane strength, we continue to stick with our umbrella because it worked in the past. In the end we can get washed away because we believe our umbrella is the only protection we have.
                Wow, I guess I'm not like most, a "drizzle" (pre drinking days) would not drive me to drink, an ongoing crises did....then the crises "storm" became a "drizzle" but the drinking habit continued. Hence my presence here. That's my story and I guess it's the opposite of yours but for what it's worth I'm sharing it.

:welcome: It is me

I appreciate your viewpoint!
                Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                - George Jackson

Comment

Yeah, I imagine the progress is different for everyone and I did not mean to generalize or discount anyone's original impetus for being here.

Comment

i take topamax without prescription which i ordered from an online pharmacy. the reason for this is because if i speak to my doctor about alcohol cravings ,it would go on my medical record and would likely bump up the costs of health insurance. anyway, since giving up alcohol altogether i have felt really unwell. did anyone else feel worse initially or is it just coincidence do you think?

Comment

I don't even care about the money or the side effects anymore. I'm anxious to see if it works! Like you, I'm going to use the tools out there. Who cares if it causes drowsiness or fatigue. You should see how tired I am hung over! As for bad tastes in the mouth? Well, throwing up isn't all that pleasant either.

Feel like a little kid waiting for it to arrive in the mail...

Comment

What is "River" that you are referring to?

Comment

Working...
                        X