I Finally Did It!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Finally Did It!

Hi all. I posted a few weeks back about how I ordered Topamax from a Canadian pharmacy (it actually came from India). I decided to not go the doctor route because I was embarrassed and afraid that the doctor wouldn't prescribe it. I've been taking it and am up to 50mg, but am a little nervous about taking it without being under a doctor's care as I am on other meds. Well, today I called my doctor's office and talked with the nurse and explained that I wanted to switch from my anti-depressant, Lexapro, to Topamax. I explained that I had researched that it was a drug that was being prescribed off-label to treat mood and alcohol craving--a problem that I wanted to finally face up to. She was very positive and scheduled me for an appointment tomorrow! A friend recently went to this same doctor for alcohol related problems and was prescribed Topamax and I think that is in part what finally gave me courage to make the appointment. I'm very hopeful. Just wanted to touch base. I'll let you know how it goes!

Julie

I Finally Did It!

Good for you, Julie! That was hard to do, and you did it!

Do keep us posted,

wip

Comment

I Finally Did It!

Went to doctor appointment today. He admitted that he did not often prescribe Topamax for alcohol craving, but I came well-armed with research from MWO so he willingly prescribed it according to the dosage chart. ALL that fear I had and all that money I spent ordering from Canada (my prescription was only $10 under my prescription in insurance for the brand name drug). I have to admit I am relieved to be under a doctor's care as I dose up in case I have any issues.I go back in one month so he can see how its working, After I talked to the doctor's assistant for about 15 minutes in detail about my drinking history he shook my hand and asked me if I was excited to be taking the first steps to get a handle on this. I have to admit that I cried a bit when he left the room. I've been taking the off-shore topa for a week and a half so I have a little bit of a head start. I really hope this helps in the whole process. Good luck to everyone in your struggles and successes.

Julie

Comment

I Finally Did It!

Julie, your posting has given me hope. I have my appt next tuesday and plan to bring the Newsweek and The Lancet articles. I will bring the book as well. I have thought about writing a script before I go so that I will present a good case. My MD is pretty cool, he listens and trusts me. I am very hopeful for sucess. Ayla

Comment

I Finally Did It!

Ayla, I rehearsed what I was going to say in my mind a dozen times before the appointment so I absolutely get what you mean about having a script. Good luck with your doctor appointment!!

Julie

Comment

I Finally Did It!

Julie-

So glad for you!

There is such a stigma attached to our disease when I hear of someone who doesn't sufffer from it being kind, it makes me cry.

Just off for a little weep:upset:

Comment

Working...
            X