Advice needed on Sinclair Method/Naltrexone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know exactly how to do the Sinclair method/naltrexone on an as-needed basis? So you only take it on certain days when you are planning to drink. How much to take? Is it effective right away?

Hi Nancy,

I have been taking Naltrexone since July 2nd. I take it every day but I think you could take it on an as-needed basis. I take 50 mg/day each afternoon. it takes about 30 minutes to kick in. It lessens the alcohol cravings and also curbs your appetite. You will be able to drink but will be less likely to over do it. I have been able to drink a 6-pack while taking it but that is about half of what I would normally drink if I was out partying.

Comment

The Sinclair Method is just taking Naltrexone every day. It blocks the endorphines that alcohol releases in your brain and therefore you get less pleasure from drinking. The idea is that you are re-conditioned so that you don't crave alcohol anymore (because you are not "rewarded" like you used to be).

There is no need to stop drinking when you start taking it. The pill will do its job and you will find yourself drinking less and less.

Studies combining the Naltrexone with counseling/therapy showed no difference-- the success rate regarding alcohol was the same with or without counseling. The pill works by itself. (Of course therapy can have many other benefits...).

I think you are are supposed to do it for about 3 months, and then you are "cured." Many people continue to drink moderately both while on Naltrexone and after they are done with the programme.

There are apparently several new other drugs like Naltrexone being used but I don't know what they are.
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Working...
      X