Antabuse-- when to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been tapering this week -- (tapering right?) about a bottle of wine a day... can I start Antabuse tomorrow? Or do I need to wait a bit...
    Tiny

Hi Tiny,

If I were you I would taper down to 2 or 3 glasses a few days, it could be a shock to the system to go from 1 bottle to nothing.

I would then wait at least 18 hours between the last drink and taking the first tab- I would also only take half a tab the first day- YOU will NOT be able to drink with half a tab, so don't try it- it can even be fatal.

When you see you don't get any reaction on the second day you can take the normal dosage.

Good luck with it- I am back on it, it is about the only thing that stops me- I stopped taking it for a week but am now back on it, it makes things so much easier.

Comment

I agree with Marbella...half tab the first day and you still can't drink but just to make sure that you are not goona get sick..Tons of water and milkthistle will help clear your system...I would wait atleast 18 to 24 hrs. before I take the half...Good luck..Antabuse is a GOD SENT..
      sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Advice please

I am thinking of ordering antabuse today, I really need to sort myself out and having read posts for many weeks now, think that it may be the answer on getting to where I want to be. Or hopefully making some sort of progress!

Has anyone tried to drink after taking this medication? Or is the thought of it making you so poorly that you aren't even tempted!! How much drink would you need to be poorly, a sip? a smell? a glass? I read a comment that it could be 'fatal' - and am frightened to try. Please can anyone out there give me some advice?? I currently drink between 1 and 2 bottles of white wine a day, although I can manage some AF days if I am really determined!

Thanks for any help, just need a bit of reasssurance that antabuse will help and not make me feel any worse than I do right now.

Chard123 xx:
        :new:

Comment

Hi Chard-

It would only be fatal if you really hammered it down after daking a dose- which isn't really possible because you become too ill to drink.

Within the first few sips (say one gulp of wine or a couple of gulps of beer) your breathing becomes restricted as your chest seems to tighten, and your face would go bright red, and I mean BRIGHT red, you feel itchy all over- not a nice sensation at all.

As we humans are hard wired to experience pleasure, and avoid pain, it works because you know that taking a few sips will cause you pain and not pleasure- whereas normally we think a glass or two will give us pleasure- completely forgetting the pain that inevitably comes.

So not only does it stop the physical urge but it also helps tremendously with the mental battle we go through when trying to stay AF- the cravings are absolutely minimal if they surface at all.

Please try it- for me it is the only guarantee I will be AF.

Comment

Marbella -- thanks -- you are npw a dog person? Did the white cate just keep walking?

I have heard conflicting suggestions on tapering vs. cold turkey... all I know is that I am a mess ... and I need a drastic change...
            Tiny

Comment

Tiny;409885 wrote: Marbella -- thanks -- you are npw a dog person? Did the white cate just keep walking?

I have heard conflicting suggestions on tapering vs. cold turkey... all I know is that I am a mess ... and I need a drastic change...
              LOL- I am both really- the white cat was getting a bit tired and has gone to put her feet up...

If you can just stop without getting bad witdrawals I would go cold Turkey, but if not you may have to taper or get something from the doctor- do you have a doctor you can go to or will you order the AB of the net?

Comment

I have Anta buse and Valium...
                Tiny

Comment

Working...
                X