top. vrs. vivitrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

top. vrs. vivitrol

I have read post after post. Havent really came across this question. How is taking topomax compared to getting the vivitrol monthly shot? I've read about the lump in the arse, doesnt sound fun, but that does sound a little more conveinant than tirating the pills of topomax on a daily bassis.

top. vrs. vivitrol

I don't know I am still trying to find some help I have only tried Vivitrol I know this medicine works really well for other people but the lump in the arse is something to take very seriously I had only one shot 3 months ago and I am still seeing a surgeon twice a week for necrotic tissue and a blood clot it started with celluttis. I have had to have 2 surgeries from this shot many doctors I seen said it was just scar tissue the best thing to do if this happens to you is to see a surgeon or insist they give you an ultrasound.
    I really want to quit drinking but I don't know how anyone have any suggestions on a good starting point? Or other medications that help? Thanks

Comment

top. vrs. vivitrol

Northwood and Utahlady,

First off, :welcome:.

Secondly, ouch, Utahlady, that sounds like a recluse spider bite I had once, no fun at all. I am sorry that happened.

Here in this forum, "Topamax, Campral, Naltrexone, Baclofen, other meds" there are plenty of threads about the different medications.

I recommend you read as much as you can from other people. I will try to post from memory some things I know about each, but I am absolutely no expert!!

Topamax helps a lot of people, I have been seeing posts recently about it and I know some long termers that used it to beat this addiction. It does have side effects, though, and you need to study on those. One side effect many love is weight loss. I was allergic to it, unfortunately, I became covered in a horrible skin rash over most of my body where the skin was flaking off and looked like alligator skin. My doctor said that was a bad reaction and a no go on the Topa for me.

Campral helps if you stay abstinent. I could not take Campral because it hit my tummy really hard and being gastric bypass, I could not tolerate that side effect at all. (I kinda wish I could, I was losing weight again like crazy!!)

Naltrexone. It did not help my cravings at all. I used it for 3 months and nothing good happened. HOWEVER, since that time, it has come to light that there is a method called The Sinclair Method, where one takes Naltrexone one hour prior to drinking, never missing one if possible, and over several months, many people are actually cured. I did not choose that path but I definitely would have gone down that path if I needed to. There is a website called thesinclairmethod.com that is a small community of people who have been following the method. Some of my favorite people here at MWO have used it and it has worked well for most of them. Hopefully one of them will respond to your post.

Baclofen. It works for me, but it also has side effects that put some people off. Tiredness is one of them, some suffer tummy issues (strangely enough, not me) and a few people simply could not tolerate the side effects and quit. For those who have stuck with Baclofen, it has proven in this small group to be fairly successful. There are threads here on Baclofen you should read. However, Baclofen has saved my life and the tiredness, weird dreams and now very infrequent night sweats, do not bother me nearly as much as my 24/7 swilling of vodka and spiraling out of control, frequent blackouts and dangerous behaviors. As a matter of fact, if my doctor had told me I could keep taking the Topa, I would have. However, she said my skin reaction was indicative of a serious allergy, so I had to quit taking it. A book about Baclofen is called The End of My Addiction by Olivier Amiesen. I recommend you read it even if you choose a different medication (or none at all, we have many people here at MWO who have chosen to beat this addiction without medications.)

Whew. I feel like I have written a tome.

hth,
      Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

top. vrs. vivitrol

I have had the vivitrol shot 5 times and only had a lump in my butt and mild pain. Vivitrol curbs my drinking from a daily 6-8 drinks daily - to 2/3 drinks per week max. It's just tough to find a doctor who will dispense the medication because of the recent skin tissue problems. But I wouldn't care if the entire tissue of my butt had to be removed, if it kept me from drinking it would be worth it all. In my experience it's the 'holy grail' of treating alcohold dependence.

Comment

top. vrs. vivitrol

Hi, could anyone here recommend a way for me to go about finding a doctor that will prescribe high dose baclofen? I think I would need a neurologist? Or does anyone know of a doctor they could recommend? I know I can order it online, but have to go through a doctor for reasons I can't mention. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X