Looking for a MYO friendly Dr. in DC area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not sure if this is where or ok to post, so please work with me. I am looking for a myo friendly doctor in the DC/MD/VA area. Any suggestions?:new:

Hi lynne i am in uk so cant help but just wanted to say a big welcome - lots of help and support here for x
    Keeps x:happyheart:

Comment

Hi Lynne!

Smart woman! I went to my dr and all he did was tell me to go to AA. Aaarrrgghhh! I'm in way upstate NY but I wish you the best. You might want to post this in the Starting Out section. More visibility there.

Take care,
      Becoming
      "Action is...the enemy of thought." :l Joseph Conrad

Comment

Thanks all. I tried my primary too - no help other than AA. I called the referral line at a professional organization and they referred me to a group therapy substance abuse center. I guess I will just buy the meds on line, but I was hoping to find a supportive medical professional in my area.

Comment

Hi lynne,

Just wanted to wish you a warm welcome -- I hope someone here has advice on a Doc for you. I managed to find a female GP sympathetic to my cause and she is one of my biggest supporters.
          "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Hi,

You might want to try a psychiatrist or psychopharmacologist rather than a regular MD. They should be much more familiar with the use of topa and/or naltrexone for alcohol addiction than the former.

Regards,
            Sashha

Comment

Did you ever find anyone in DC/northern VA area? I am looking for someone in the area as well.

Comment

MWO-Friendly M.D

We all would like to believe that we have the right to make informed decisions about our health care.

Some of us cannot find an m.d. to cooperate with our informed decisions about prescription meds. We have three options: Try to educate our m.d.'s and hope they will capitulate; order from an online pharmacy; or ask for a prescription of the med of our choice for a reason our m.d. is likely to find acceptable.

As for the third option: Topamax is prescribed for migraines. Campral can be effective for tinnitus. Naltrexone is prescribed as an anti-craving med, so we can get it for that, although we who are doing the Sinclair Mehtod do not use it for that.

If we choose the third option, we can gently educate our m.d.'s later (e.g. "I don't get migraines anymore and I consume far less alcohol. I read it's effective for that too.")

Comment

MYO Friendly doc in DC area

Believe it or not, I went to my Kaiser Doc with the MYO book in hand and she was very supportive of the program and had no problem writing the rx for topomax (Kaiser even covered the cost of the rx). Check with your health care provider, bring the book and have an honest discussion, you might find he or she is more supportive than you think. By the way, I am AF since Jan 1, 2009, start my fourth week of topo and supplements tomorrow. I am experiencing little of the side effects you hear about, but I am feeling blah and a little depressed, lack of energy, tired.

Comment

Thanks all. After my bad experience with my primary and asking around and not finding any doctors that were openly mwo friendly in my area, I successfully ordered on line.

Thanks again.

Comment

Try Bel Air Center for Addictions. Although it's in Bel Air, which is about 70 miles from DC, it's a medically oriented program that is OK with people who aren't into AA.

Comment

Bel Air will prescribe naltrexone first, then campril if you are not doing so well on naltrexone alone. I don't believe he is a topamax advocate.
                        Also, not sure how much money you will save. He charges $80 per visit, no insurance accepted. That takes a bite out of what you save with getting these drugs via prescription. Plus on my insurance, campril still cost $40 per bottle.

Comment

Working...
                        X