Question on how Topa makes you feel..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, unfortunately I long for the "good feeling" alcohol gives me when i drink it, or i wouldnt care so much about it and have gotten to this point of alcoholism! honestly i dont get the same good feeling the worst the alcoholism gets. in fact i often feel worse! but i have a questionn to all you who take topomax. They say it effects the opiate system in the brain and takes away the high. What do you feel from alcohol then? Can you guys describe how it feels differently when taking the topomax? It has to feel somewhat good or else why would you still drink at all? Just curious.. do you still get happy or feel nice?
    silly question i know.

there are a lot of people that topa takes the desire to drink away completely and/or drink just doesnt taste good so ya dont do it.
    Gabby :flower:

Comment

I haven't had any alcohol since starting the topamax so I can't tell you how the alcohol tastes or how it makes you feel. I can say the topamax has taken away my desire to drink alcohol.
      vegan zombies want your grains

Comment

You might want to read the Topamax survey just a few threads up from your thread, in which people discuss their dose, side effects etc. Many mention the effect on their drinking. I think you'll find it very interesting, even if you start at the end and work you way forward.

Reading the whole thread was helpful in my decision to start the Topa.
        Ask

Comment

Hi Me,

I'm trying to wrack my brain here to remember how I felt... all I remember is the first 2 weeks I was a bit of a zombie, no energy, no will to do anything constructive and NO urge to drink. I would still pour myself a glass of wine but invaribly it just sat there getting warm -- it honestly held no appeal for me.

Wishing you all the best on your journey.
          "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

I can tell you when I took Topamax, I lost the craving for alcohol completely. I decided to drink a beer after being on it for a week or so. Let me tell you. Imagine tasting the cheapest beer EVER made that has been sitting out in the sun in a can opened for 3 months then put back in the fridge. And I love the taste of beer. I used to find an excuse to drink any beer. I was amazed how Topamax took the taste of beer, wine and other alcoholic beverages away but didn't change my taste for "normal" foods or drinks. Also, I found it much easier to go out in public with friends to bars or parties and not drink. Because it was MY decision not to drink because I didn't want to. Not because I know I have a problem and drinking was "bad" for me. You can honestly tell people when they ask why you are not drinking that, "I don't feel like it" That was so nice to say that with honesty rather than give some bs story or feel guilty about why I really couldn't. Anyway, I hope that helps some.

Comment

Working...
            X