Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topamax and Campral?

Hello everyone,

I've had limited success on Topamax. I did the titration thing on topa w/ pretty harsh side effects. I absolutely could not tolerate more than 150mg a day. Although I am much better off than before I started the topa it seems I can only tolerate an extremely low dose. To my frustration I still find myself drinking and as a result feel pretty lousy most of the time. I saw my doc today and explained to him I'd like to try something else but I am afraid to get off of the Topamax for fear of a bender. He wants to start me on Campral and said I could take both but I haven't found anyone else on here doing it. Even though I trust my doc I know from experience that these are potent meds w/ the possibility of severe side effects. Has anyone else mixed Topamax and Campral?

If not I guess I'll be the first.

thx,

MC

Topamax and Campral?

I haven't taken Topamax, but I have been on Campral. I also take an anti-depressant, mood stabilizer and sleeping med. I asked my psych when we added the Campral if I needed to space them apart because it seemed like a lot of psych meds. He said that Campral is a different type of med and you don't need to worry about taking them all together. I didn't have any problems mixing them all. Topamax is a mood stabilizer, so I would agree with your doctor on this. Give it a try and see how you do. If your hesistant, start with one tablet of Campral 3x a day, and then up it a tablet every few days until you are on the 2 tablets 3x a day.
    AF since 1/2009

Comment

Topamax and Campral?

I am taking Campral and Naltexone. Doing wonderfully on it!!

I do not have any side effects other than a bit of umm errr gas from the Campral. Not really bad, though.

It is worth it.

Love,
      Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Topamax and Campral?

Cindi ... What's a little gas among friends?
        AF since 1/2009

Comment

Topamax and Campral?

Hey Everybody,

Just to follow up on my previous post for anyone curious... I decided to wait 24hrs from my last dose of topa. (I was only taking about 10mg every other day by spliting up a larger pill) I started on the Campral today w absolutely no side effects. I also have had no cravings either (2nd day AF) but realize this may be a placebo effect as the instruction pamphlet says it takes about 5 days to build up in the system. I am going to wait and decide if I'll take anymore of the topa at all. But the good news is that hope has returned to the coggi household. I'd like to quickly thank everyone on this forum. It's nice to know that I'm not alone in the fight.

Thx,

MC

Comment

Topamax and Campral?

After my first detox (August, 2008) I was prescribed Campral. It took away my alcohol cravings very well but....possible side-effects include mood changes, sadness, depression, and fear. I have not talked personally to anyone who has used Campral, so I don't know how common the side-effects are. I was diagnosed with dysthymia in high school, and Campral spiraled me into a major depression within a few days. I thought it was just a result of quitting the bottle, until I read more about it and kept getting worse as the weeks passed. Eventually, I felt so depressed and I started drinking again while on it before quitting it completely. After my second detox in October, I decided not to go back on Campral and felt better as the days passed (but of course, the idiot-side of me thought I would try to have just one drink two weeks later and relapsed). I have been sober for 2 weeks on Wed. and although the depression is still there it, I am getting better and better each day. I do take Kudzu (a natural anti-craving supplement) and am also doing neurofeedback 2-3 times a week for addiction and depression. I want to avoid adding prescription drugs for alcoholism and depression. The Kudzu and neurofeedback really seem to be working. Camomile with honey is supposed to help out a bit, too. I'm not sure if past diagnoses of depression are enhanced by Campral or not, but I would be hesitant, or stop taking them if you start to notice serious symptoms, when you take Campral or Naltrexon.
            sigpicAstro:new:

Comment

Topamax and Campral?

Update

It's been 11 days AF on only Campral and I feel great. I haven't ruled out the use of Topamax but as for now why mess w/ what's working. I think the use of these meds is a little like cooking. A person has to experiment w/ the recipe to get it seasoned to their particular taste. It struck me the other day that this experience has been the exact opposite of every other attempt I've made at getting sober. I feel so much better being off the sauce it isn't a real option to sneak a drink. I just hope it lasts.

My advice to anyone still stuck half way. Keep trying. Work w/ your doc. There is a solution.

I really wish we could do an anonymous survey among the members by a real physician to better understand any relationship between type of abuse/addiction and medicine that is effective.

thx,

MC

Comment

Topamax and Campral?

MC,

I've been on Campral and Naltrexone for almost two weeks.

I have been in a huge depressive funk but I know exactly where that came from, and it is not from the meds.

I have found my craving for alcohol has gone way down and I am doing very well that way.

For those who think I don't understand the relationship between the meds and my depression, please understand, my depression, funk, blues, whatever you want to call it were the result of outside issues that I need to learn to deal with. I am grateful I have these meds to help me stay sober enough to learn how to deal with them.

Love,
                Cindi
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Topamax and Campral?

Luv you Cindi, i know you’re going thru a tough patch; hopefully the scenario gets better soon!! Get thru the holidays and get back at the problem....you can fix it you just needed more time.
                  Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Working...
                  X