curious what campral does

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi, day 2 of topa. geez am i feeling shitty.. cravings and appetite are down, both good, but feel depressed, so irratable i want to punch my bf , and no this isnt alcohl with drawel as ive stopped many many times recently for a few days and dont feel like this. SO, of course im going to ride it out as long as i can, but i wanted to know what campral does in case topa cant be tolerated. i know about naltrexone. can you drink on campral and does it work where you have one or two and can stop easier and wont end up drinking the whole bottle? ( thats my problem)

Hi Me ... I have some experience with Campral. Doctors aren't sure HOW Campral works, but it is believed that it brings your brain chemicals to the point before you started drinking. I know I'm beginning to see some big changes and I have always wanted to get back to "that person" that I once knew and loved. You can drink on Campral but it doesn't work like Naltro. I think drinking lessens the effect of Campral. Campral works by taking the cravings away. I find I rarely think about drinking, and when I do, it's a fleeting thought and then gone. I find that now I am interested in doing more of the things that I used to do before I started drinking. HTH ..

SK
    AF since 1/2009

Comment

SK is right about the Campral. If you drink, it lessens the effects.
      :l
      LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

Hi Skinned knees

How long were you taking Campral before you noticed the difference?

Comment

The first day I started taking it, I noticed I wasn't filled with anxiety anymore. I didn't have that jumpy, hyper feeling at night when I would crave. I felt a lot calmer. Then each day I noticed that I was thinking less and less about drinking. It was gradual. HTH ...

SK
          AF since 1/2009

Comment

I have to agree with everything SK has written.

Me1455, I started journaling my experience with Campral, so please feel free to read and ask more questions. I will try and help all i can according to my experiences.

I'm on Day 11 AF and that hasn't happened in years....I cannot remember when I was not drinking everyday of the last 5 or 6 years.
            I tried the Topa last year and did not have any luck with it....just made everything I drank taste like metal!!!
            Good luck.

Comment

LookingToGrow;509882 wrote: SK is right about the Campral. If you drink, it lessens the effects.
              Is that lessens the effect of drinking, or of the Campral. My doctor says campral is a waste of time anyway, since only about 30% of people get results from it, and they may have other reasons for not drinking to start with!

Comment

It lessens the effect of how the Campral works. I totally disagree with your doctor. I did a lot of research on Campral when my psych doc wrote me the prescription. I was concerned about side effects as well as efficacy. As for reasons to stop drinking, I simply did not want to be a drunk anymore, like most of us here. Some have to quit for medical reasons, but most of us just got tired of making asses of ourselves, dealing with hangovers, blackouts, etc. As for a waste of time ... What else do we have BUT time? Anything is worth a try once, as long as that try is sincere. In other words, to really give it a chance by fighting the cravings until the medicine can get a chance to work. It works for me, and it has worked for others on this site. You won't know if it works for you, too, unless you try it.

SK
                AF since 1/2009

Comment

Working...
                X