Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JUST STARTED NALTREXONE AND THIS SITE

"]Hi everyone,
    I just found this site, by chance or destiny. I have been drinking for many years, getting increasing out of control. Drinking till the bottle's all gone, almost every day, many times starting in the morning, blacking out, etc. Yesterday I finally went to a Dr that was recommended for people with drinking problems. We talked about the 4 drugs available and both decided on the naxtrexone. I am encouraged by reading this site and especially the threads about people using this drug. I took the 2nd dose (50 mg this morning. ) I havent set up my profile or anything yet. I figure I should just jump in the pool and fill out stuff when I have time.
    My goal is not really abs, but to be able to be a social drinker. I'm glad to see that this is a possibility. I think it might be easier to actually quit if I don't have to make it my goal.
    You all seem so nice and supportive. I will check in every day.
    Do you most of you also recommend the kudzo?:new::thanks:

:new:

Hi there Carolynn,
    I myself have just started on naltrexone myself tonight,
    so we can go through the journy together with this site

Comment

Hi Carolynn,

Doctors do not understand how Nal works. The best description is in the newly released book, Cure for Alcoholism: Drink Your Way Sober Without Willpower, Abstinence or Discomfort By Doctor Roy Eskapa.

Taking Nal while not drinking is a futile endeavor. Nal+Drinking = Cure
      It may seem counter intuitive but that is how it works. Don't expect your MD to instruct you to do it that way. He won't. Nor will the drug circular.

What you are doing is retraining your brain by drinking alcohol but NOT allowing your brain to accept the chemical reward. Over time your brain will not associate that reward with alcohol. You may discuss this protocol with your MD or have him read the back chapter of Eskapa's book that is for physicians.

2 simple rules to follow
      1. Take Nal before you drink
      2. Drink after taking Nal.

Remember, if you do not have the desire to drink, that is Okay but do not take the Nal. Keep it with you and take it one hour before you drink.

I see so many on their first or second day of Nal. This thing is just beginning to happen. We are the first to try this new frontier.

Does everyone understand what this means. If Nal works, it will be the most significant leap for alcoholics since the first grape was crushed!!!

Comment

I strongly suggest you go to:
        The Sinclair Method

Comment

Hi Aussieguy.

Cool, it will be good to compare notes. Nice to meet you. I didn't drink today. (so far, its 7:30 pm here. Not really craving it right now. How bout you? iI don't know how to send personal replies yet.

Comment

SpringerRider;522527 wrote: Hi Carolynn,

Doctors do not understand how Nal works. The best description is in the newly released book, Cure for Alcoholism: Drink Your Way Sober Without Willpower, Abstinence or Discomfort By Doctor Roy Eskapa.

Taking Nal while not drinking is a futile endeavor. Nal+Drinking = Cure
            It may seem counter intuitive but that is how it works. Don't expect your MD to instruct you to do it that way. He won't. Nor will the drug circular.

What you are doing is retraining your brain by drinking alcohol but NOT allowing your brain to accept the chemical reward. Over time your brain will not associate that reward with alcohol. You may discuss this protocol with your MD or have him read the back chapter of Eskapa's book that is for physicians.

2 simple rules to follow
            1. Take Nal before you drink
            2. Drink after taking Nal.

Remember, if you do not have the desire to drink, that is Okay but do not take the Nal. Keep it with you and take it one hour before you drink.

I see so many on their first or second day of Nal. This thing is just beginning to happen. We are the first to try this new frontier.

Does everyone understand what this means. If Nal works, it will be the most significant leap for alcoholics since the first grape was crushed!!!
            I see what you mean. I am very interested in how I will feel when I have a drink. If there's no reward, I can see how this would stop or reduce a person's drinking level

Comment

Hi Aussieguy.

Cool, it will be good to compare notes. Nice to meet you. I didn't drink today. (so far, its 7:30 pm here. Not really craving it right now. How bout you? iI don't know how to send personal replies yet. I think I just figured it out.

Comment

If you drink on Nal, you will still get drunk. It is not THAT magical. But what you will be doing, behind the scenes is demimishing the desire to drink. My wife is a normal drinker. She drinks two beers, gets sleepy and goes to bed.
                It is at the two beer point where my endorphine rush kicks in. After two beers, I am committed to going until I pass out. That is the thing that changes, OVER TIME. The ability to respond to those endorphines is repressed. That is what Nal does. It is not the alcohol that you crave. It is the endorphines. That is what separates us from the NORMAL drinkers. For most people, excessive drinkiing is not very pleassurable. But we are addicted to our own endorphines. With Nal, the ability to respond to endorphines is turne off. Each time you drink, you brain with learn that it is no longer going to get that rush and will UNLEARN to desire alcohol for them.

The key is to follow the protocol.
                Nal + Driniking = Cure

Do not drink without taking Nal and do not take Nal if you don't expect to drink.

Comment

I really get what you mean. It's like putting your hand on a hot stove. You won't do it many times. If you never do it, your desire will still be there. Not the greatest analagy but close. My brain needs to know that I can't "get off" from drinking. After it realizes that, what's the point in drinking?
                  I think we gotta learn to substitute something else that's not so destructive.

How you doing Aussieguy.
                  Just took my 4th pill today. I do feel a decrease in my cravings. But today I am going to drink a beer during the Eagle playoff game to see if I feel any difference.

What about you?

Comment

Hi carolelynn :welcome:
                    I am on Day 9 and taking the Kudzu and it's working for me. I hope that you get what you need from this site...you'll find alot of support from everyone here!
                    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

~Red :h

Comment

We who are addicted to alcohol do not drink for pleasure. We drink because our brains have been wired to drink through years of drinking. I am still trying to get my head around this myself. Like many of you, I experienced a few days with decreased desire to drink but it already is wearing off. This phenomenon is incidental to the Sinclair method. The profound change takes place slowly over weeks and months. This certainly is less than the many years it took most of us to get to this place. As we get used to the drug we likely will not notice any difference and must simply trust it is doing its work rewiring our brains. I'm actually giving myself a little pep talk here. I started a thread called Strict Sinclair for that purpose (support each other) for those who wish to follow the drinking+naltrexone=cure system.

Take care -- Lena

Comment

Carolelynn;523466 wrote: I really get what you mean. It's like putting your hand on a hot stove. You won't do it many times. If you never do it, your desire will still be there. Not the greatest analagy but close. My brain needs to know that I can't "get off" from drinking. After it realizes that, what's the point in drinking?
                        I think we gotta learn to substitute something else that's not so destructive.

What about you?
                        In a away but this is not aversion. Aversion was tried years ago in Canada. The drinkers were attached to electrodes and were shocked more strongly as they drank. It turned out to be an unmitigated failuer with several suicides.

Nal is a curative process. Your brain will heal itself over time. It is important to understand this to appreciate the mechanism. What makes Nal much different is that at the end of the treatment, you will have the same brain structure as a non-addictic. This is different from any other treatment, chemical or otherwise, where the craving is managed. With Nal(and other opiode antagonist chemicals) you are healing your brain.

Comment

Working...
                        X