Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strictly Sinclair Method Weekly Thread

I feel your pain

Solice;527272 wrote: Nealio, Welcome. I'm new here too.. Picked up the book last night and started reading, scary thing is that 8 to 10 beers a night is normal for me and when you throw in some whiskey, well.... I feel it this morning.
    I have to have faith though and will just keep taking nal whenever I drink, which for the last umpteen years has been every day, except for a few white knuckle days, weeks or months in AA/NA.. My hope is that this 'cure' works for me, rewires my f'd up head and takes away the desire and cravings for alcohol.
    My GF can take or leave it, anytime.. One night she may have half a glass of wine, other nights nothing. I want to be like that!!

Maybe abstinent will be my end result but for now I just want the compulsion/cravings/insanity to be gone. One thing became quite apparent last night though. I will need to change/lose some friends... But that would probably be for the best whether I was trying to stop or control my drinking or not..

Lord help me, I can't do this alone...
    I was 10 years totally abstinent but relocated from Australia to Ireland and started drinking again. I soon got totally out of control and now wish I had never touched that first drink. I've been on the Sinclair Method and have the Eskapa book for the last 6 weeks but am still struggling to postpone my drinking until 3pm (2pm Naltrexone - 1st drink at 3pm). Anybody know at what stage I can expect the cravings to go

Comment

annden;1641586 wrote: I was 10 years totally abstinent but relocated from Australia to Ireland and started drinking again. I soon got totally out of control and now wish I had never touched that first drink. I've been on the Sinclair Method and have the Eskapa book for the last 6 weeks but am still struggling to postpone my drinking until 3pm (2pm Naltrexone - 1st drink at 3pm). Anybody know at what stage I can expect the cravings to go
      6-12 months, but consumption may reduce before then.

My advice if you are struggling to wait the hour is take it earlier - say 1 or 1.30pm instead. Drinking 90 minutes afterwards is in my opinion better than not having the full dose in your system.
      I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

This thread and the TSM book is a godsend where I thought there was no hope - I was so depressed - but now I see there is light at the end of the tunnel

Comment

Thanks I'd like to give more support but I need a name change for discretion reasons, and admin here keep ignoring my requests for this.

Sorry I cannot help any more.

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Hi - I'm entering the 3rd month of Naltrexone and while I note that my drinking hasn't increased, I still find it very hard to put off that first drink - I find after 3 glasses (quite big) of wine my drinking tapers off but still very worried about that early craving - can anyone advise re their experience as to how long this takes to work and the craving for initial drink tapers off?

Comment

Sinclair

Is this still an active thread?.

I'm pretty happy with the Sinclair method, but it seems to be a lot less popular than the baclofen.

Any ideas why?

Comment

guapo;1667973 wrote: Is this still an active thread?.

I'm pretty happy with the Sinclair method, but it seems to be a lot less popular than the baclofen.

Any ideas why?
                Perhaps it doesn't work as well - for instance it doesn't relieve the underlying anxiety.

I do know of several people who've taken to this method very well, achieved success but apart from myself they do not(or tend not) to post here.

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

This is my first post. I started on naltrexone about 2 weeks ago for alcohol. I couldn't controll my impulsiveness when the thought to drink came to my head; it was like auto pilot. I couldn't or wouldn't stop myself. I have been going to AA for many many years and had numerous sponsors, however the message is the same: powerless, insanity, self centered, etc.
                  Maybe I am bored, lonely, antisocial....I don't know. I feel guilty about going to aa and still drinking, not sure what else to do. No mention of the Sinclair Method in the rooms.
                  I presented my doc with idea of Rx. naltrex. Hell, I hadn't considered endogenous opiates with ETOH, but it makes sense. When I drink on naltrex I don't feel so good. In fact, I get a headache and want to sleep. I am having a hard time exposing myself to other interests.
                  Glad I found this site. Thanks

Comment

susuberg;1698828 wrote: This is my first post. I started on naltrexone about 2 weeks ago for alcohol. I couldn't controll my impulsiveness when the thought to drink came to my head; it was like auto pilot. I couldn't or wouldn't stop myself. I have been going to AA for many many years and had numerous sponsors, however the message is the same: powerless, insanity, self centered, etc.
                    Maybe I am bored, lonely, antisocial....I don't know. I feel guilty about going to aa and still drinking, not sure what else to do. No mention of the Sinclair Method in the rooms.
                    I presented my doc with idea of Rx. naltrex. Hell, I hadn't considered endogenous opiates with ETOH, but it makes sense. When I drink on naltrex I don't feel so good. In fact, I get a headache and want to sleep. I am having a hard time exposing myself to other interests.
                    Glad I found this site. Thanks
                    Hi susuberg

Welcome and welcome to TSM.

TSM gives you some of that power back, the power to choose and decide.

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

FYI, the Sinclair method can be spectacularly successful, but you have to

1. Believe in it

2. Follow its guidelines correctly.

Comment

Thanks Aurora re: comments on aa. I don't want to be overly critical of the program but it ain't worked all that well for me. I drank twice yesterday and felt physically terrible on nal. Why do I do this to myself?

Comment

bloggy,
                          Have you had your liver enzymes checked recently? Nal is to be used cautiously when renal or hepatic impairment is present. Jaundice (yellow eyes) is definetly a sign of liver dysfunction. Take care of yourself.

Comment

Naltrexone can make you feel bad, it's the way it works - it kills the high.

I'm just wondering, how did you expect it to make you feel and what are your goals?

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

My first post here, I apologize if this is not the correct thread. I am quite interested in The Sinclair Method, and have been for some time. I am currently in A.A., and have been sober for a period of 14 months and currently a little over four months. However, it is not easy and A.A. just seems so archaic and over-the-top. I've never fully bought into the program, and I only go because I am an extreme alcoholic and it seems the only choice. I also understand TSM requires the subject to drink in order for efficacy.

I'm wondering if others on here have had success with TSM even if they are/were extremely heavy drinkers (1-liter or more of hard liquor per day, drinking in the morning, etc)? The science surrounding the method seems reasonable, however I'm currently too afraid to try because my life typically falls apart when I start drinking. But obviously I want to not want to drink. Any advice would be most helpful.

Thanks.

Comment

TooCurious;1699182 wrote: My first post here, I apologize if this is not the correct thread. I am quite interested in The Sinclair Method, and have been for some time. I am currently in A.A., and have been sober for a period of 14 months and currently a little over four months. However, it is not easy and A.A. just seems so archaic and over-the-top. I've never fully bought into the program, and I only go because I am an extreme alcoholic and it seems the only choice. I also understand TSM requires the subject to drink in order for efficacy.

I'm wondering if others on here have had success with TSM even if they are/were extremely heavy drinkers (1-liter or more of hard liquor per day, drinking in the morning, etc)? The science surrounding the method seems reasonable, however I'm currently too afraid to try because my life typically falls apart when I start drinking. But obviously I want to not want to drink. Any advice would be most helpful.

Thanks.
                                Hi TooCurious and welcome to MWO.

I'm sorry you are struggling and finding it difficult. If however you are sober I wouldn't advocate starting drinking just to see if TSM works - and even if it did work for you then you may still have a period where your life falls apart. If I were you I'd stay safe and continue not drinking.

You could however try Nal with abstinance, it does help some people but I'm wondering would taking nal then give you an excuse to drink?to see if TSM works?

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Working...
                                X