anxiety attacks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anxiety attacks?

I'm new here. I have 3 AF days. I'm experiencing terrible anxiety and had 2 panic attacks last night. This is what happens when ever I try to stop drinking. Have been thinking about trying th topamax. Does anyone now if it might also help with the anxiety?

:new:
    AF since 7/26/2009

"There is nothing noble in being superior to other man. The true nobility is being superior to your previous self."--Hindu proverb.

"Sobriety isn't a landing but rather a journey." anonymous

anxiety attacks?

Lilmea, Depending how much and how frequently you drank this could be part of withdrawal. A doctors advise would be best.

Comment

anxiety attacks?

I agree with KAT...
      When you get thru this (with Dr. help, if needed) then we can talk about anti craving meds..
      Al will fight you mentally, physically and Spiritually.
      Don't let him talk you into drinking again. PM me, if I can help.
      sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

anxiety attacks?

Lilmea,
        Last time i stopped drinking i was having panic attacks for 2 days straight. I dealt with it with no meds. I'm not sure about topamax, but valium will help you pretty much straight away.
        Limea it will pass, take deep breaths (as deep as you can, do not force yourself too much). Try to think of something nice, someone you love. I know it is not easy, but at least try. Think of something for 5 sec, later for 10 sec etc.. and.... if you can -go outside. For me nights was the most difficult parts cos i had to stay at home. If its daylight now go out, just walk around, take a bus. Keep yourself busy.
        I know exactly how you feel. Ahhh and if you can go to the doctor get Valium. It will help straight away.

I really feel for you, all the best
        Netty
        We are your friends. You don't need to be alone again. So come along.

Comment

anxiety attacks?

hi lil,there all rite,docs advice i no for me it use to be low levels of valium.then you have to get off them,which is more difficult ,tremors are horrible,but they subside eventually,i'm not a doc,but long term abuse does bring on anxiety and most of all,panic attacks,I'm living thank goodness proof,i havent had one in 14 months,good luck to you,if you ever want to just chat I'm more then xperienced on panic disorder,it wont kill you,its just the bod rebelling hope this helps gyco

Comment

anxiety attacks?

These attacks are a normal and very uncomfortable part of the withdrawal process. Your body and brain got so accustom to having AL in your system, it causes a "panic" "fight or flight" response without it. These should pass after about 7 days, so you are already halfway there.

For an OTC herbal, try taking Valerian. Take one in the morning and one in the evening. If things are really rough take another, up to 4 per day. Valerian will make you a bit spacey and sleepy, but you can still drive and work ok. One Valerian pill has a "half-life" of 12-24 hours so once you take it, you may still be feeling it a day later. It should take the "edge" of the anxiety.

I've had to learn the hard way, that every time I slip, I have to go through this "anxiety phase" again. I guess it will help me not slip in the future, because I get really miserable.

Day 7 here, off the Valerian and feeling groggy this morning, but much lower anxiety than last week.

Comment

anxiety attacks?

Thank you all for your support. Tough being new. Really tough being new and sober! lol. Guess I will try the valerian Boss.man. Researched it and saw it was a natural herb. Like that idea.
              Lots of deep breaths and reading lots of post here and I'm almost trough another day.
              AF since 7/26/2009

"There is nothing noble in being superior to other man. The true nobility is being superior to your previous self."--Hindu proverb.

Comment

anxiety attacks?

Lil, I'm also new here. The info. is comforting. I too experience anxiety when I don't have AL. I also experience anxiety and self-loathing the morning after I've had too much AL.
                I've found that RJs CDs are very soothing.
                Also, all the supps. In RJs aresenal she uses Calms Forte. I've seen Calms Forte at Whole Foods (the same i purchased here on this site).
                Hope that helps. I'm feeling the same way. Anxious and afraid. But, I want to be AF more than I want anything else.

Comment

anxiety attacks?

Hi there lilmea. Welcome to you.
                  Yes, I experienced panic and anxiety too when I first stopped drinking. I take GABA and True Calm, i find they work well. I buy them from this site. The panic will pass although I know its not much fun at the moment.

BOP welcome to you too! Yes I too had the anxiety and self loathing after drinking as well...

Honestly, both of you itreally does pass. And being AF is so very worth it. I cope so much better with everything now.
                  Keep posting and reading, it does help.
                  Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                  Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

anxiety attacks?

hey lilmea - a mild anti anxiety med that they use in the hosptal is benydryl...yes the stuff for allergies...I find it really helps although you may get a bit sleepy.

Comment

anxiety attacks?

Thanks so much Bird,startingover,and book.

It's comforting to know I'm not alone in this. I'm not glad other people feel this way too but knowing it is part of the withdrawal and it will get better (U said soo Start!) is such a help. I'm on day 5 AF. I know it's a very short time but it seems to have taken forever to get here. Does that make sense.
                      Anyway thanks again for so much support.
                      AF since 7/26/2009

Comment

anxiety attacks?

It gets better the longer you stay AF. I find the GABA really works for me, for the long term it is just the days after you quit that can be so hard. I have had to go to the doctor for clorazepam, not sure about the spelling, which is mild but effective, and only addictive if you take it for more than two months which you shouldn't need to.

Anyway take care, and WELCOME !

:welcome:

kit
                        AF since 12/11/2008 :ranger c:
                        Today well lived makes every yesterday a dream !:catroll:

Comment

Working...
                        X