Topa and Paxil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topa and Paxil?

I'm wondering if anyone here knows what the effects might be of taking small doses of Paxil while taking Topamax. The is topa is working well for craving control, but the depression and irritation side effects are, well depressing and irritating ; ) I have taken Paxil before, and I know it works well to control my depression. I have also tried St. John's Wort which didn't work at all for me. Anyone have any suggestions?

:new:
    nfire:

Topa and Paxil?

:welcome:Firebird...

I think they sometimes "piggyback" some drugs. The best place to check would be with your doctor just to be safe.....
    Have you taken it long enough for the side effects to settle down some?
    I don't take it but I have heard that you have to go slow in increasing dosage.

:lNancy
    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Topa and Paxil?

do u mean that its worsening your depression? i am not sure i feel like its possible im on a very low dose thouh, 25mg... what dose are you on and when did you feel the reduction in cravings and worsening of your depression?

Comment

Topa and Paxil?

I'm on 25mg. Most of the time if I'm depressed it's when I'm drinking or hungover. When I'm sober I usually feel pretty darn good. So good I want to go out and celebrate in fact. With the topa (day 3) I've felt pretty down and irritable. Angry for little reason and then sorry for it. I was just looking for something to stabilise my mood.
        nfire:

Comment

Topa and Paxil?

for me its like, when im sober i usually feel great as well... so its like, i take the topa and i feel like its making me a bit down.. and thats a huge part of the reason i want to control my drinking..bc if im drinking, i feel down the day after, or if its a big drinking night, for two days after.. so its like, whtas the point of taking the topa really if its making u down anyway? u know what i mean? its pretty sad.. wish i was one of the people that wasnt effected by the side effects.. i keep asking if it will possibly go away but noone has really answered me on here.

Comment

Topa and Paxil?

You can take topamax and paxil together. They do not have any drug interactions. I have checked some of the tertiary medical literature and even did a quick medline search of some of the most recent primary medical literature. There are even case reports of successfully and deliberately using these two medications together for OCD and some other indications.

If you are experiencing side effects from the topamax, your best bet may be to reduce the dose and see how that goes. The does up titration that they used in the clinical trial that Roberta cited in her book was designed to be very aggressive in order to get results and get results fast. In reality, many people can't handle escalating the dose that quickly. Going slower with escalating the dose is the best way to avoid most of the side effects. Nutrition is important too. One side effect, the tingling some people get in their hands and feet, can be almost completely avoided by adding some extra potassium to your diet either with food (like bananas) or with a supplement. Be careful though if you are on other medications that might raise your potassium levels.

I hope this helps...

rxman

Comment

Topa and Paxil?

just an addendum...there is a maxim in titrating to a target dose. Start low and go slow.

Firebird, you could even try 12.5 mg tabs. You can split 25 mg tabs. Swallow them quickly though, the taste is not cool if you lay the split open edge on your tongue.

Keep in mind there are other meds out there that may help too. Campral, Naltrexone, Baclofen...etc

Rxman

Comment

Working...
              X