Lactimal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lactimal

Has anyone here heard of, or tried this drug for bi-polar/depression? If so, can you share your experience please?
    thank you
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Lactimal

I take Lamictal

Hi Beatle .. I'm on it and it has really been a life saver for me. I haven't had any side effects at all. When I first started taking it, I would see glimmers of it working here and there. But after about 2 months, I felt 110% better. I don't have depression anymore, nor do I go into hypomania. If you drink while taking it, it will slow your progress with getting well. I did find, tho, that if I drank, I didn't get that euphoric high (which is a good thing). Instead, I just got very tired and my words would slur, but not that high feeling. I think because of that, I stopped drinking which in turn the Campral that I'm taking finally was able to work. I'm doing fabulous today and hope this feeling never ends. I was in such a deep dark depression. It was truly awful.

I hope it works for you as well as it does for me. Word of caution: titrate up S-L-O-W-L-Y. Did your doctor put you on the starter pack? I started with the orange pack. And now I'm on 200 mgs daily. I did do alot of research on it to find out how well it helps people with bipolar and heard nothing but praise for it.

SK
    AF since 1/2009

Comment

Lactimal

Thank you Skinned for that hopeful message. Yes, I am on the starter pack, just started today. I look forward to the end of this misery.
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

Lactimal

I've only taken the Lamictal for 4 days, but I am having terrible insomnia... I also went AF 5 days ago, but my usual aids (which have always got me some sleep in the sobering-up period) haven't worked AT ALL. I wonder if this could this be related to the Lamictal-- anyone know about this?

Comment

Lactimal

Are you taking the Lamictal in the morning? If not, try taking it in the morning.
          AF since 1/2009

Comment

Lactimal

yes, I'm taking it in the morning-- well, around 11:00. I'll try earlier.

But, again last night, even though I was exhausted, I could not sleep. And it was not like a withdrawal insomnia, which usually includes anxiety and physical problems. I was perfectly relaxed and calm. And none of the things that have always got me some sleep through the first days of AF have helped.

oh, well, I guess I should ask the doc.

If this gets me over the other symptoms of bipolar, I can put up with some sleeplessness.

Comment

Lactimal

Beatle, estranged one's girlfriend is bi-polar and takes it. She was manic when he met her and was so for about 4 months then has been depressed to the point of suicidal ever since. I don't know how much or when she takes it but she takes clonypin (?) and ambien as well. This combination is not working for her in my opinion. If it is helpful to her, I couldn't begin to imagine what shape she would be in without them. My first husband's wife had extreme difficulty and finally got on a med that works for her and the difference is like night and day.
              sigpic
              Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Lactimal

Oh, I hope I do better! I don't take much other meds on a regular basis, though (just about 2003 supplements). My psych seems to think it's fine for me to use lorazepam on an as-needed basis (basically for panic attacks or sudden anxiety), but I'm not too keen on a) mixing these meds, b) benzos (which clonapyn is, I think)-- they are highly addictive (just what I need!) and they make you zombie-like (I might actually need a little of that=)

Do you know happen to know what med that was that works (for first hub's wife)?

Comment

Lactimal

Wife takes lorazepam daily and an antidepressant. Estranged one's GF is a habitual pill abuser. Abuses the Ambien and now ativan as well and then runs out and has to wait and tough out episodes of insomnia and anxiety. Maybe the picture would improve if meds were used as intended. Relative to the wife, my 1st husband said he cleaned up numerous suicide attempts while she was on different meds. I guess they were just continuing to try to find one that works. She is much better but has a tendancy to abuse alcohol. Can't seem to quit smoking either. But the big picture is much improved.
                  sigpic
                  Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Lactimal

That's scary Greeneyes. I heard antidepressants don't work (or not very well) if you drink, and lorazepam and alcohol should never be mixed (believe me, I've tried), unless you like to pass out after a couple of drinks (maybe that's the goal?). Also, lorazepam is highly addictive, so if she takes it regularly and ever finds herself without, she will go through far worse withdrawal than with alcohol (according to most who have done this-- like your ex'es GF).

I'm sticking with the Lamictal and no alcohol for now. Already feeling a lot better after just 6 days (of both AF and Lamictal).

BTW, my alcohol withdrawal symptoms only lasted 3 days. I was up and running, full of energy, on the fourth day. This I attribute to my heavy supplementation (vitamins, minerals and herbs) and a monumental effort to eat really healthily (even with no appetite).

Comment

Lactimal

My doctor prescribed me lactimal about three months ago for anxiety, and anxiety alone. It was great as far as my mood goes (anxiety can induce depression and irritability,) in the beggining, but after a month or so it made my physical symptoms of anxiety worsen. My chest always felt tight, my stomach was always in knots and I couldn't stop shaking. Also, it gives me terrible insomnia, which as everyone knows, is a huge contributor to worsening anxiety.

So overall I would have to say that while many people enjoy a decrease in bipolar depression and mood swings, I don't think this is a very good medication for anxiety.

As I found out in rare cases lactimal actually can increase anxiety.

So i guess I am the rare case that has a bad reaction to lactimal. So if anyone is considering taking lactimal for GAD (general anxiety disorder) I hope this is any help. I know everyone is different but I hope my information might be helpful

Comment

Lactimal

As this thread came up again, I will give an update...

I still take Lamictal every night. I have never seen any effect, either positive or negative, from it. I was prescribed it solely for anxiety, although my psychiatrist was well aware of my alcohol problems (I was newly AF at the time).

After I began Baclofen in late summer 2009, my anxiety all but disappeared (this is amazing -- I never expected this), so I thought about eliminating Lamictal, but a member on here advised against it. Now, I think the combination of the Lamictal and the baclofen might explain the reason I had such an unexpected and quick reaction as far as anxiety is concerned.

So, I am continuing with Lamictal for now. I don't want to fool with what seems to work, even though I also don't like to be on meds.

As far as I understand, Lamictal affects the GABA-A receptors, while Bac affects the GABA-B receptors. This might possibly mean the combination has a synergistic effect. This is, of course, just speculation.

Comment

Lactimal

I have been on Lamictal since August 2009. I find it to be a lifesaver, although I am experiencing negative effects.... I say "negative effects" because I am not sure if these are effects of the medecine, or the effects of me getting better, alcohol-wise. Since taking lamictal, I have been a much better mom & wife. I am not angry and depressed all the time. I was prescribed this med after self-admitting myself into a psych. hospital due my inability to stop crying everyday. I am currently taking 150 mg.

I am starting to wonder what I would be like if I lowered the dose. I feel like I am losing friends while on this med. I don't know if it's due to personality changes within myself, or that I hardly drink anymore. (As topamax & lamictal are both anti-seizure drugs, I wonder if they have the same effect on alcoholics.) Most of my friends used to be my drinking buddies. I have withdrawn from them more and more, to the point where I feel like they are frustrated with me for not hanging out with them. I feel lonely in some ways, I feel like I have no friends.

BUT... my moods are under control. I rarely drink, and if I do, it feels impossible to have more than 2 drinks. I no longer worry about embarrassing myself or my family. I don't make irrational decisions or feel depressed all the time. I am in therapy, and working on the friend thing. This medication is powerful & life changing. I feel therapy is an important adjunct to the medication to manage the results of the med. I would love to share more of my experience, but my 2 year old & 4 year old need me! Maybe one of these days I will share more in the "my story" thread. Until then, feel free to ask me more questions if you want to know more specifics..... these meds definitely saved me!

Comment

Working...
                          X