Nalmefene??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nalmefene??

Where can one get Nalmafene on the net??

Nalmefene??

I seem to recall that it isn't available yet in the US - something about it being tested in the UK? I woudl love to know, too, since it is much easier on your liver than Nal.

Comment

Nalmefene??

What is it?
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Nalmefene??

Beatle it is a new drug very similar to naltrexone, but is supposed to be much easier on the liver. I believe there is one more trial to be done then it should become available.

Comment

Nalmefene??

thanks, Marbella. I didn't realize naltrexone was hard on the liver. Then again, nothing can be as hard as AL.
          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

Nalmefene??

Hi all. I was under the impression when I started Nal a year ago, that it was bad for your liver. That was the reason to have the shot once a month to eliminate the livers need to process the med.

I have read on this site various opinions since then. I read you have to take much over 50mgs per day for it to affect your liver, assuming your liver is functioning properly prior to administration of the Nal.

Does anyone know the real affects of Nal on one's liver? Thanks!

Comment

Nalmefene??

Forgot to mention I have never heard of this other med.

Comment

Nalmefene??

yeh, that would be good to know. I wonder also about Antabuse (which I am currently using). I heard that is also tough on the liver.

Comment

Nalmefene??

I don't believe it is harder than most meds- it seems liver damage may occur in doses of superior to 300mg, but the daily recommended dose is only 50mg.

A Liver function test is recommended before starting Naltrexone, but seeing as it is primarily taken by people with long term alcohol abuse histories that is quite understandable I guess- it seems most people do not experience any side effects from nal at all.

Comment

Nalmefene??

beatle;548623 wrote: yeh, that would be good to know. I wonder also about Antabuse (which I am currently using). I heard that is also tough on the liver.
                    Antibuse is brutal on the liver if you drink on it. I am quite sure you have had a liver function test before being prescribed Antibuse.

Naltrexone has shown to cause liver problems in excess of 300 mg/day.

Comment

Nalmefene??

Actually, I have had many liver function tests in the past, and they have fluctuated between normal to very high (usually depending on if I have been drinking recently or not). But I wasn't given a liver test before being prescribed antabuse (which I have received from two different doctors in two different countries). I wonder why? I also have drunk on antabuse... very carefully testing the limits... I guess that was pretty dumb. How bad exactly is "brutal"?

Comment

Nalmefene??

beatle;549003 wrote: Actually, I have had many liver function tests in the past, and they have fluctuated between normal to very high (usually depending on if I have been drinking recently or not). But I wasn't given a liver test before being prescribed antabuse (which I have received from two different doctors in two different countries). I wonder why? I also have drunk on antabuse... very carefully testing the limits... I guess that was pretty dumb. How bad exactly is "brutal"?
                        Sorry Beatle,
                        I am not qualified to give you an intelligent answer since I am not a MD. When I was a counselor, we always warned our patients that drinking on AntiBuse was very hard on the liver.

Alcohol is broken down in the liver to an acetic acid through a big named enzyme(acetaldehyde dehydrogenase).

Actually I never understood that statement because disulfiram blocks this reaction at the intermediate stage by blocking the enzyme acetaldehyde dehydrogenase. After alcohol intake under the influence of disulfiram, the concentration of acetaldehyde in the blood may be 5 to 10 times higher than that found during metabolism of the same amount of alcohol alone. As acetaldehyde is one of the major causes of the symptoms of a "hangover" this produces immediate and severe negative reaction to alcohol intake.

So if the liver is out of the loop, how should disulfiram hurt the liver. Now part of our protocol was to scare the wits out of the patient and warn them that drinking was not an option. We showed them all horror movies of very sick puppies that drank on Antibuse and gave vivid descriptions of reactions from vomiting, sweats, throbbing headaches, seizures to having your nuts fall off. This was in the Navy and we took liberties probably not available to the public at large.

If you are doing Okay now, I would not be overly concerned. But don't drink on AntiBuse unless you are a total masochist!

Comment

Nalmefene??

Well, my drinking on Antabuse was done very carefully -- and I was at a fairly low dose -- like one small sip at a time, waiting a while between sips. Surprisingly, I could drink a fair amount in this way without any reaction except a flushed face.

Comment

Nalmefene??

OOHHHH, I would choose naltrexone or baclofen is i was gonna drink and still wanted help not to have a full blown relapse. It takes the desire to drink away from me in a few days and is safe to use with alcohol. I would be afraid of a heart attack or stroke from alcohol and antabuse. I was Minister in charge of a service last year because one of my congregations son drank on it...She said he turned red in the face and was DOA at the hospital. I have it and took it before last summers trip to the UK...I knew ahead of time that the PUB scene would put me in danger of drinking. I was glad that I had because it took my choice away.I will do the same before my UK trip this year...Better safe than sorry.
                            I LOVE YOU BEATLE...I really do. I hope you will have a safer MED than Antabuse to turn to if you think you may have a slip.
                            sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Working...
                            X