coming OFF of oxycontin and oxycodone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well here I am only two months after starting oxycontin (a slow release med), and less that a month after starting oxycodone (a fast release med), and I want OFF these meds.

Finiding a decent level of pain control so my life is livable has been a struggle for a long long time.
    I went through many years of self medicating with alcohol (of course ) Many tried and failed medical fixes, and prescriptions up the wazoo.
    Fast forward to Nov 2008 and when on a regime of Tylenol 3's and 5 mg morphine as needed, my pain is escalating...my life is feeling hopeless, will I ever know a day without pain controlling my life?

Dr visit and CT scan reveal a compression fracture in my back, as well as four discs with problems, blah blah.
    A month of experimenting with meds leds us to the above cocktain of pills.
    20mg oxycontin 3 times a day....and up to 4-10 mg oxycodone.

I HATE THESE MEDS.

Firstly, they work. They work great. I have only begun to realise how well they controlled pain since yesterday, and trying to get OFF them.
    Pain is back with a vengence.:upset: :upset: :upset:

BUT, that being said...I wake up every morning feeling pukey sick...(I am afraid this is like a mini withdrawl...and in such a short time of taking them this scares the SHIT out of me)

They make me itch....like CRAZY.

AND
    I have already had a person ask me for a couple...(they have a bad back ya know???? riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight) My answer was no ofcourse, and my Doc counts my pills at each visit, to ensure they are being taken only as prescribed. (that alone I thought was odd)

I am scared because I think if I don't get off them now, I will have to detox off them in a hospital.

I have only lowered my intake by half for one day
    and I feel terrible, and cold, and shakey, and have the skin creepy crawlies.

Boy I hope this goes fast.
    I hope I can do this without it being a "thing"

A part of me is sad, because for the last while I have been pain free AND AF.
    We will see what happens now :upset:

Sorry....just thought I would set up a place to vent. I honestly can't believe how much my back pain is back and it is only day 2 with a lower dose.
    An amazing medicine for pain.
    I am just too afraid to keep taking it.
    Blah, this sucks.
    Striving to live life without ALCOHOL

All I can say is ...YOU CAN DO THIS !!!
    I don't know much but I do know that you can get thru this and you have a huge support system here at MWO to help you..
    Now..say to yourself...I CAN GET THRU THIS...I KNOW I CAN !!!! Say it over and over...make it your mantra...It will soon be your reality.
    sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Evie...thank you for your support...I CAN DO THIS. (I will try hard to deserve the faith you have in me!)

more2....I am crying...sobbing is more like it.
      Thank you for sharing a piece of your friend with me. I am so sorry for what is happening to her. How utterly heartbreaking.
      I can honestly say these pills scare me.
      I really don't want to stop them, because I know the pain will come back.
      I HAVE to stop them because even after this short a time, even though I know this will put me back to square one in trying to figure out how to find a way to live a life with some quality WITHOUT going back to drinking myself numb every day, because the pain is so physically and emotionally exhausting.. 0.ALL my alarm bells are going off about these meds.
      You sharing a real story, about a real person....has touched me deeply.
      I am more scared BUT more determined to get off these things.
      Thank you from the bottom of my heart. :l :h
      Striving to live life without ALCOHOL

Comment

Keeta, my heart is breaking for you right now. What options do you have to control your pain? Is there anything else like epidurals, nerve blocks or anything? I have heard that there are pain management clinics, do you have attend one?
        You are right to want to get off these, but I would imagine you need to find a way to control your pain first.
        I am with you and will help you in any way I possibly can...
        Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
        Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Ah Keeta,
          I'm so sorry it's so hard for you.. your pain levels are really high.
          Please work close with your doctor and make sure you are coming off safely.
          I am also with you and proud that we have found Starts & each other to fight these things.
          First thing next week i will ask for an appointment to see a pain management doc.
          Love
          Ficks

Comment

A documentary for coming off Oxy...

This will be an eye opener...much love and luck to you Keeta...

The film Oxycontin Express airs 10pm on Current TV tomorrow...It is from our Vanguard Journalism Department..

Comment

Working...
            X