Naltrexone and Baclofen - My personal experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just read on TSM site a post from Dr. Eskapa. He stated that Baclofen and Naltrexone don't play together well. If you choose to do the Sinclair Method, you show not take Baclofen. If you are taking Bac and Nal under some other protocol, I can't speak to that.

Comment

Nope, that's not what he said. After an explaination of baclofen and it's chemical uses, he said, "You will still benefit if you simply add naltrexone to your drinking." He says the "jury" is still "out" on the combination of nal and baclofen together. I admit it is not always easy to understand what the kind Dr. is writing, but I really believe he is not saying that I HAVE to stop taking the combination order to get the benefit from the naltrexone.

And as a footnote: Springer is right, I am not doing the Sinclair Method, and if I were to drink I would take the naltrexone prior to drinking.:happyheart::heart::happyheart:
      SpringerRider;582106 wrote: I just read on TSM site a post from Dr. Eskapa. He stated that Baclofen and Naltrexone don't play together well. If you choose to do the Sinclair Method, you show not take Baclofen. If you are taking Bac and Nal under some other protocol, I can't speak to that.

Comment

bump.

It's been a few months. Anyone have any further thoughts on adding Baclofen to the Sinclair method? You would still take Naltrexone one hour before drinking, but the Baclofen might make you less likely to want to drink in the first place. Is there any problem with drinking on Baclofen?

Any thoughts?

Comment

Really, there is so much information, and it is plus and minus. I think it best for each person to read through the info and decide for themselves what works best for them, at the moment all the different ideas have me confused. :notlistening:

There is more info on thesinclairmethod.com about baclofen. But honestly, I am confused and not sure what I think right now, I wish we had better medical knowledge, but it seems like all these ideas are really just being formulated by ourselves acting as our own experiments.

Best to you in your quest!

Comment

Baclofen + Alcohol = Death?

One question I have is that the Sinclair Method requires you to drink AL for extinction to occur.
            Is not the mixture of a muscle relaxant (baclofen) and a CNS depressant (alcohol) a dangerous, possibly lethal combination?
            ?Perversity is the human thirst for self torture.? ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

oceanaocean;627045 wrote: Really, there is so much information, and it is plus and minus. I think it best for each person to read through the info and decide for themselves what works best for them, at the moment all the different ideas have me confused. :notlistening:

There is more info on thesinclairmethod.com about baclofen. But honestly, I am confused and not sure what I think right now, I wish we had better medical knowledge, but it seems like all these ideas are really just being formulated by ourselves acting as our own experiments.

Best to you in your quest!
              I'm pretty confused too (but I'm still going to get more confused by starting a thread about mixing Baclofen and Campral). Trying to find my way, without doing anything too stupidly dangerous. I will run out of Naltrexone in ten days and I don't think my River pharmacy shipment will be in until well after that, so unless I can find enough Nal to get me over that period, I'm changing my aproach; like it or not.

Comment

Zenstyle;627210 wrote: I wouldn't recommend it. At least not to huge excess. I went on a bender on baclofen last weekend as I was titrating up. My body wasn't used to the bac at higher doses (50mg). I drank 1.75L of vodka in 3 days and I was out of it! I started drinking first thing in the morning and carried on till the wee small hours so it was throughout the day on all 3 days... and I carefully measured each drink in one ounce shot glasses (I do this always since I started counting my drinks) and, in all honesty, my body should have been able to metabolize the vodka better than it did. I have a huge tolerance for alcohol and used to drink 1.75L a day, let alone over 3 days, and still funtion.

So, as far as I'm concerned, drinking on baclofen makes you go loopy loo! And the recovery is rough.
                I know a lot of people on the Sinclair method drink as much or more than they did before, but the Nal has me drinking less and I feel better for it. If the Bac can help me reduce further, I'd like to try it.

Comment

Zenstyle;627211 wrote: I am affectionately referring to myself as "The Experiment" now. I've tried everything except campral and that's in the mail. (A friend is sending me some.)

I think we need to just find what works for ourselves, and that what works for one may not work for another...

I was still on the topa when I started taking the bac and I'm not sure if that's why I'm having such a hard time with it. I'm titrating off the topa now.

It really is a pain in the butt that there isn't more medical documentation, isn't it?
                  Zen, new here, so I hope you don't mind my chiming in.

I took Topa last year for just a few weeks - talk about loopy! I got so sad and depressed, and the Topa definitely exacerbated the effect of booze. So I would suspect at least some of your experience of getting extra loopy was due to the Topa.

Hated the stuff! Actually, reading through these posts, I don't see many people who could tolerate the side effects for long. . .successes?

Comment

Pete1;627593 wrote: I know a lot of people on the Sinclair method drink as much or more than they did before, but the Nal has me drinking less and I feel better for it. If the Bac can help me reduce further, I'd like to try it.
                    Actually, Pete, many practicing TSM experience a spike in drinking at 2-3 months - but that is usually still less alcohol than pre-Sinclair. At 16 weeks my drinking is down about 1/3, and that in spite of what I considered to be a 'heavy drinking' week or two.

Being patient enough for those truly long-term (6+ month) effects is a challenge, but worth it methinks!

Comment

Going,

Actually, there are quite a few successes with Topa on here.

However, many of us simply cannot tolerate it or the side effects, others suffer very few side effects.

I am finding the Baclofen at 5 mg/ tid to have no bad effects on me whatsoever, though.

When I tried Naltrexone before, it really hurt my tummy and so did Campral. I could not tolerate them.

I am GP, too, though, and find I react differently to meds because of it.

I chew my tablets up to insure I absorb them. I do know malabsorption is an issue with us GP patients.

Cindi
                      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Not sure, what is GP?

I too, tried Topomax and it really messed with my emotions and mental stability.

Much better results on the baclofen in regard to emotional feelings.

Comment

So how are you doing now Ocean?? Are you just on the Bac?

Comment

Goin4More;627951 wrote: Actually, Pete, many practicing TSM experience a spike in drinking at 2-3 months - but that is usually still less alcohol than pre-Sinclair. At 16 weeks my drinking is down about 1/3, and that in spite of what I considered to be a 'heavy drinking' week or two.

Being patient enough for those truly long-term (6+ month) effects is a challenge, but worth it methinks!
                            I am reading old posts that I have missed and saw this.....and this is what I need to hear right now. I am heading into Week 7 and while the beginning I was making great strides, I now feel a back slide. While I am not drinking as much as I was before I feel like I am.

I woke feeling down on myself and read 2 posted and chatted with a friend and I feel a little better, but I am such an impatient person!
                            AF July 6 2014

Comment

Christy,

I believe the Sinclair method REQUIRES patience.

However, after following several people's journey on it, I think it is a great tool.

Good luck, don't give up, stick with it!

Cindi
                              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Thanks so much Cindi!!!

xo
                                AF July 6 2014

Comment

Working...
                                X