Starting on Campral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting on Campral

I have a prescription for Campral from my doctor, and he told be to take it only after being abstinent. I'm not really sure if that means AF for a day, a week, a month???? Can anyone comment on their experiences with Campral?
    Thanks!:thanks:

Starting on Campral

Are you trying to be alcohol free or are you trying to moderate? If you are trying to be AF, then wait 5 days AF before starting. If you want to moderate you do not have to wait - and you can still drink on Campral.

Comment

Starting on Campral

Thanks Kimmy. I'm planning on AF, so I'll wait a few days before starting. I'm on Topamax right now (125 mgs), and would like to get off of that soon!

Comment

Starting on Campral

My doctor said Campral works in a way which helps you to maintain abstinence once you have stopped for a short while (I think a few days up to a week).

I wish you luck with it. I've been on it for about 3 weeks and I'm not honestly sure how its affecting me because I didn't start it until I'd been AF for about three weeks. I am now AF 38 days though so it's certainly not doing any harm! Few side effects that I've been aware of.
        AF since 19 January with a week's holiday last week. Today is AF day 1sigpic

Comment

Starting on Campral

Hi, :new:
          I have had two different experiences with Campral.

My first over a year ago, when I went AF cold turkey and started using Campral the next day coupled with a few days of taking Diazepan. I was incredibly fogged, which I now realise was a result of the brain cell death associated with the sudden stopping of alcohol (approx 1 bottle spirits daily). I persevered and after a few weeks I was fine, the attraction of drinking did diminish and after a month felt much better. I even tried a drink but found little pleasure.
          I did have a problem with excessive gas which got unbearable and caused me to stop taking Campral after 2 months, however I was fine and enjoying my new found life.
          That was however until I discovered that my partner of nearly 20 years had started a relationship with somebody else. I relasped and my drinking habit errupted again, this time though I told myself it was justified.

Well my life problems did not sought themselves and I got fed up with drinking, but was unable to stop again, but new that I must.

I started taking Campral together with tapering my alcohol consumption off gradually over a number of weeks. I would reduce my consumption and drink at the new level for 2 to 3 days before reducing again.
          I must say that this approach has proved a lot easier than I thought possible, once my consumption had halved from its original level, I found it easier to stick to the new limits.
          I'm know down to a fifth of my original consumption and plan to continue reducing further to start to incorporate AF free days. Until I go completely AF free.

This is my personal experience and I know that this isn't the suggested method of Campral use, but and it's a big but, IT'S WORKING FOR ME!

Good luck and hope it works for you.

Comment

Starting on Campral

Campral really worked for me. Almost 7 months sober and just tapering off now.

Good luck!

Comment

Starting on Campral

Campral is also good for me after only a month or so. No side effects anymore and hardly notice I'm taking it
              AF since 19 January with a week's holiday last week. Today is AF day 1sigpic

Comment

Starting on Campral

I find Campral really good. I works for me too. No effects if I commit the mistake of drinking any alcohol. Little side effects too.

Comment

Working...
                X