Losing Weight on Topamax and then Not..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was on the program and was up to 300 mg of topamax for a year or so and it really helped me with my drinking. I was drinking about 2 bottles of wine per day and it brought me down to 2 glasses of wine per day.
    The reason I tried to titrate down from it is because of my forgetfulness and because of my not being able to play the drums as well as I could before I started taking it. Also, a major factor was that I lost 40 pounds in the course of taking it and that I looked and felt great! I was 170 and I went down to my pre-pregnancy weight of 130 to 135...I was so happy!!

Well, now..I am back up to like 155 and feeling pretty uncomfortable in my clothes. I look like I am about 7 months pregnant. I started taking topamax again about 3 months ago but then my insurance ran out, so there was a lapse in my topamax, but then I just got it back a month ago so now I am up to 150mg.

My question is, will it work the same as it did before as far as the weight loss? Does it matter how I titrate up? Should I stick to 25mg per week or should I do 50mg per week?

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated!

Thanks a bunch!! :thanks: :h
    Saundra
    "you may say that i'm a dreamer...but i'm not the only one"

:disco:

Kind of sounds like you want to stay on the Topa for weight loss? How's the drinking going?

I'm not a DR, but I would say go slow again - but again, it's a sppoky drug to be using (IMO) for extended periods of time and perhaps not to control AL?

Comment

WaitingToExhale;565662 wrote: Kind of sounds like you want to stay on the Topa for weight loss? How's the drinking going?

I'm not a DR, but I would say go slow again - but again, it's a sppoky drug to be using (IMO) for extended periods of time and perhaps not to control AL?
      Hi waiting to Exhale,

O.k., yes, I left that out. Of course I went back on it because of my drinking, I just figured that it was a given but after reading my post I can see how you could have thought that I went back on it solely for weight loss....sorry.
      I am actually asking the titrating question for both things because they both seemed to go hand in hand meaning...as the weight loss went...so the craving went. But now that I am back on it, I am struggling with both the craving and the weight loss and wondering if the titrating factor has anything to do with it?

Does that make sense?

Thanks a bunch!!
      "you may say that i'm a dreamer...but i'm not the only one"

:disco:

Comment

Working...
      X