• Time
  • Show
Clear All

baclofen

xx

Comment

baclofen

Amazing news Cindi!

I so hope you can get it this week...(I prayed you would, and I am good at praying )

I understand your husband's skepticism too...all will turn out well though- I feel the worse part of our journey is over.

Comment

baclofen

Zenstyle;625358 wrote: My bac experience... (I might start a thread too Marbs)

I took 50mg yesterday... 20mg a.m. 10mg afternoon and 20mg p.m.
        Same thing today.
        Tomorrow I'll go up to 60mg 20, 20, 20.
        I'm experiencing some serious drowsiness late afternoon.
        I had my weekend drinks Friday and Saturday as I would usually do. Tonight I'm having a few although I didn't want to. It's a long story... family stuff set me off. Tomorrow I'm aiming for AF.

I have got to add... it takes a lot of meds for me no matter what it is. When I go to the dentist I need double novocaine injections. I eliminate quickly also. So.... I guess I'm going to be one of those lucky so-and-so's that gets to titrate up high and spend the extra dollars at the pharmacy...
        Sorry about the family problems Zen.

These things are big triggers for me too- maybe within a few days when things settle down you will feel a bit more level and be able to gauge your progress and document it.

I think it is not only helpful to surfers looking for info, but also for us Obviously we are all different- so comparing notes will help us all, I am sure.

Comment

baclofen

Cinders;625338 wrote: . I was reading that in studies where they were using Baclofen for AL withdrawals rather than diazepams (sp?) ub to cirrhotic patients. It was effective, btw. :-)

Cindi
          Ooh, tell me more. What does Baclofen do for AL withdrawals?

Comment

baclofen

Here are a couple notes on side-effects based on my own experience.

You will likely feel tiredness and maybe some wooziness and dizziness. I also got an occasional headache (never a bad headache, just mildly annoying). I would also be groggy in the mornings, and if I woke up in the middle of the night to pee or something, I would be a bit dizzy. Be careful getting up in the middle of the night.

These side-effects were strongest on the days that I increased my dose. After a day or two they would subside. They'd still be there, but they became very manageable.

Be careful while driving on the day of a dose increase. You might feel a little distracted or cognitively fuzzy - sort of similar to taking an anti-histamine.

Once you hit your "magic" point, and you feel comfortable reducing your dose, you will notice a dramatic decrease in your side effects. I still get the anti-anxiety effects, but the dizziness is gone, and the tiredness is rarely noticeable. Headaches are totally gone.

Although the half-life is supposed to be relatively short, I still tend to wake up with a baclofen-related grogginess. A single cup of coffee takes care of it with no problem.

So in sum, it may be a little disconcerting while on the way up, but any side effects will definitely subside. If it becomes difficult, I would simply recommend that you slow down. Instead of increasing your dose every three days, for example, you could make it every five or even every seven days.

Comment

baclofen

Zenstyle;625364 wrote: QUOTE=oceanaocean

I felt "put down" by your post. Perhaps it was entirely unintentional, but I did wish to express that. Of course I am not trying to start a forum war, just stating my feelings.

Ocean, I posted in the middle of you two. I hope I didn't hurt your feelings, I certainly didn't mean to... :l
              No way! just a simple glitch with billyb and we have it totally straightened out,

:l back at you!

Comment

baclofen

Incredible stuff. Following up on this Baclofen info after reading Marbella's thread about her use of topa and bac. Hit the Wikipedia site. This sure sounds promising. Isn't that just absolutely what we're all looking for ... something that makes us able to NOT indulge our addictions?
                KAYLA

Current attitude towards addiction: Why ask why? Just accept that it is, and go from there ...

Comment

baclofen

Hi all. Marbella, your prayers paid off!!

I just turned in my script for Baclofen. My psychiatrist is willing to try it, although she wants me to titrate up a bit slower than what is recommended here to insure I do not have any really bad side effects.

I am thrilled to have such a great doctor. She is going to buy Ameisen's book, too.

Love,
                  Cindi
                  AF April 9, 2016

Comment

baclofen

That's fantastic news, Cindi! I only wish all doctors were so understanding!

I think its a good idea to go slowly, too. It is frustrating to have to wait longer, but the difference between two months and three months is nothing in comparison to a lifetime of alcoholism.

I kind of wish that I had gone a bit slower myself. It took me about two months to titrate up to my magic dose of 150mg, but I did have a good amount of sleepiness, dizziness, spaceyness, etc. I wouldn't have minded being a bit more in control of those side effects. Thankfully they greatly subside when you eventually stop increasing doses.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Comment

baclofen

Kayla;625511 wrote: Incredible stuff. Following up on this Baclofen info after reading Marbella's thread about her use of topa and bac. Hit the Wikipedia site. This sure sounds promising. Isn't that just absolutely what we're all looking for ... something that makes us able to NOT indulge our addictions?
                      Absolutely!

It's hard not to use expressions like "miraculous" when describing Baclofen, since those words seem to instantly discredit the speaker and make him/her sound like an infomercial. Nevertheless, that's exactly the word I would use....

Before considering it, though, I would STRONGLY advise that anyone who wants to try baclofen read Dr. Ameisen's book thoroughly to understand the dosage regimen, and also to research the (admittedly minor) downsides (Ameisen doesn't talk too much about this unfortunately) - especially the possible side-effects, and the danger of abrupt discontinuation. For the latter, I would suggest keeping two or three weeks' worth of medicine in a separate, secure location in case you lose your bottle.

Having a physician on board to help you is important, but you also need to be self-informed, since most physicians don't know about how this works. Hopefully that will change before long.....

Comment

baclofen

This is facinating. I am at work and I don't have time to catch up with the whole thread yet, but I definitely want to get ahold of some Baclofen for a forced detox and ten day abstinence I have coming up in a month. Will it help with the trembling hands etc?

Regarding using it as a long term cure. I don't know the underlying causes for my addiction. I don't think it's anxiety- I am a famously even keeled and mellow guy; nothing really freaks me out- people have commented on that my whole life. I guess it could be an underlying depression, I've been drunk for 25 years so maybe that in itself caused depression? I guess I'll have to get sober to figure it out. What I am getting at is that for those of you who have had problems with anxiety, this is a no brainer, but for a guy like me do you think it will be as effective? Is it the case that for anyone it will help with the addiction, but for those with anxiety it's "killing two birds with one stone"?

Thanks

Comment

baclofen

Cinders;625685 wrote: Hi all. Marbella, your prayers paid off!!

I just turned in my script for Baclofen. My psychiatrist is willing to try it, although she wants me to titrate up a bit slower than what is recommended here to insure I do not have any really bad side effects.

I am thrilled to have such a great doctor. She is going to buy Ameisen's book, too.

Love,
                          Cindi
                          Cindi...I am thrilled!!

As for titrating I guess we have all been addicted so long another few weeks won't make much difference- I was tempted to up my dose faster- I am just dying to get to the point where my cravings are zilch- but I realize that is stupid- I will get there soon enough!

I really have everything crossed for you!

Comment

baclofen

Pete1;625709 wrote: This is facinating. I am at work and I don't have time to catch up with the whole thread yet, but I definitely want to get ahold of some Baclofen for a forced detox and ten day abstinence I have coming up in a month. Will it help with the trembling hands etc?

Regarding using it as a long term cure. I don't know the underlying causes for my addiction. I don't think it's anxiety- I am a famously even keeled and mellow guy; nothing really freaks me out- people have commented on that my whole life. I guess it could be an underlying depression, I've been drunk for 25 years so maybe that in itself caused depression? I guess I'll have to get sober to figure it out. What I am getting at is that for those of you who have had problems with anxiety, this is a no brainer, but for a guy like me do you think it will be as effective? Is it the case that for anyone it will help with the addiction, but for those with anxiety it's "killing two birds with one stone"?

Thanks
                            Pete that is a really interesting question...I'm afraid I don't have the answer, but I did find after I had been on Nal for about a month, my triggers began to become much clearer to me- some of them were more obvious- like an argument or something, but some were niggling little things that were almost imperceptible.

I am absolutely sure it will help with the trembling hands or "the shakes"...but I feel if you can slowly reduce your drinking over the next month by the time of your reunion that will not be an issue?

Comment

baclofen

I agree, but my Nal "honeymoon" seems to over. Maybe not, but I upped the dose to the full 50 mg and I seem to be drinking almost as much as ever these past two days. what happens is the Nal works, I drink very slowly and contently, but I am so in the habit of not going to bed until I am drunk that I stay up until the wee hours waiting to get drunk. By the time I go to bed, it's practically time to go to work. I will work on tapering off. It was great for the first few days. I felt great too.

Comment

baclofen

Cinders;625685 wrote: Hi all. Marbella, your prayers paid off!!

Love,
                                Cindi
                                Oh Cinders, I am so very happy for you! I know you really want to succeed and now you have the tool to do so!
                                I agree with Billyb and glad he showed up b/c I really felt like people might think that I am just blowing smoke. But it is miraculous.

Going slower is never a bad idea. Just means it will take a bit longer to get to your magical "zero craving effect" EDIT: I updated the post with a more conservative titration dosing schedule for people that are more sensitive to medications, weary of going too fast and particularly more petite women who may want to go slower b/c of their body size
                                Here it is: https://www.mywayout.org/community/623978-post48.html
                                I only had really intense side effects the first few days when I went to 20mg 3x daily, I was so tired after the first two doses that I slept at 530pm and didnt take the 3rd dose.
                                That lasted about 3 days then was gone, with some transient drowsiness, like this morning out of nowhere for 20 minutes.
                                Drank a cup of coffee and it was gone

And that is awesome your psychiatrist is interested enough to purchase the book. I am sure she has many patients who are substance abusers that could benefit from this.
                                I wish you great success, I know you will succeed and very happy to have helped out. I cant wait to hear your progress reports. Remember to journal for me

Comment

Working...
                                X