Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Justin's Campral Notes

Hi Red,
    Glad to have your thoughts and experiences included here. On the one hand, congratulations on making the move to get AL to stop controlling your life. On the other hand, I'm sorry the experience has been a bit of a downer. Here are a couple of reactions to your post.
    I feel a bit depressed too, but I think it's not due to Campral, but because of going AF and my body adjusting to it. Also my mind adjusting to it. I'm also dealing now with some other issues now that I am sober. I don't think I can have a glass of wine alone and not drink a whole lot more. I think if I am with other people, and can't get more, I can have a few glasses of wine and be ok. However, I am sort of following Moo's plan - lots of AF days in between any AL to keep my body clean and unaddicted to AL. I fear that as soon as I have AL for more than 2 days in a row I will need it again the next day.
    I get drunk faster while on Campral, and we both have worse hangovers. It doesn't diminish the pleasure, exactly, but changes it. The hangovers a certainly worse. However, Campral re-wires the brain to stop us from needing that high pleasure level - I find I enjoy food, a lot, more than before, but even with a plate of great pasta, when I'm full I just can't overeat. That's not bad - my body is telling me to stop before I overeat. I've lost weight too, and that's a good thing.
    Crying is part of PAWS - have you looked up PAWS? These are normal feelings. We just have to tell ourselves this is temporary and get through it.
    Have you tried a bit of exercise? I find that helps to get me out of the hole. Cooking? Potter's Puppet Pals on YouTube?
    So here's a really bad joke to make you laugh:

Ask me if I'm a tree.

(you have to ask me before I tell the rest.)
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
    AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

Justin's Campral Notes

O.K. I'll bite. Tulipe, are you a tree?
      "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

Justin's Campral Notes

No!

[it's better in person]
        Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
        AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

Justin's Campral Notes

OK back to seriousness. Recent Campral activity - after losing it on Tuesday, I took 6/day until Saturday. I took 4 on Saturday and 4 on Sunday. Stayed AF since Tuesday. Would have drank on Sat or Sun if I coudda, but really knew I couldn't have done it and gotten away with it. Do I feel empowered? Hell no. Am I glad I didn't drink? Yes. Do I feel like drinking today? Yes. But can't because my son has a playdate here. What will keep me safe at 5:00 today, though? Better keep up with the Campral.

Lumbering along...
          AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

Justin's Campral Notes

Back today. Feeling much better being sober. Its been 47 days. I was facing some temptation with my wife heading out of town this weekend. I had a followup with my GP today. I told him I wanted to try Antabuse for the weekend. Truth be told, I am scared of this medication. I know I won't drink once I down these pills. He prescribed 60 tablets @ 250 mgs. Take two pills once daily. Damn stuff set me back a hundred and ninety something dollars. I never knew sobriety was this expensive. Its worth every penny if it works though.

Comment

Justin's Campral Notes

good work

:new: Hi Justin,
              I've just joined my way 2day and took a print-out of your notes home with me last week!
              i'm really hoping u made that 9 days sober! I live in Australia and us guys have a reputation 4 being piss heads! I to am on campral nearly 3 weeks now! Found out a friend passed over so I was not able to grab a glass and fill it! So I grabbed 2 campral instead! have the funeral 2 get through saturday though but i do realize having a drink will not change any-thing. would love to keep updated on our future journey with Campral. Keep in touch! x:thumbs:

Comment

Justin's Campral Notes

Way to go Sissy! How many are you taking a day? Any side effects? I've had none.
                AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

Justin's Campral Notes

Hi New Me,
                  I would suggest u go to your dr. and ask questions about taking campral. I have been on it 4 over a
                  month and highly recommend it. It makes withdrawals a breeze and takes away all cravings of alcohol.x

Comment

Justin's Campral Notes

Welcome Spring

Hi every-one!
                    Getting a bit dishearted! No-one's chatting with me had no replies from justin as yet! Hope I am posting my thread correctly! I've put on a stone since Campral! Probably cause I'm eating properly! As 4 sex drive! Well that'''s detoriated but I thought I was a horny diva on alcohol! Perhaps Life sober is just a new awakening! I feel wonderful every morning I awake! that makes up 4 everything else while my body and mind get balanced! hope i'm not talking just to my self this week! come on guy's! we all need support each other through this I'ts like AA online X:l

Comment

Justin's Campral Notes

Hi Tulipe!
                      Thanks 4 givin me some feed back! Yes my side affects are weight gain! Was hoping I would lose heaps due 2 no alcohol but at this stage gaining! I am not going 2 give up! x

Comment

Justin's Campral Notes

Cinders?

Cinders;649785 wrote: Justin,

I could not take it due to severe diarrhea. However, I am a gastric-bypass patient so I am sure that made the intestinal side effects worse.

I am very happy to hear of the successes from Campral here.

One thing it will do for you if you stay abstinent is greatly reduce the PAWS period. (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome) that can last up to 18 months. Your brain chemistry will get back to normal much faster than without Campral.

Keep on trucking.

Cindi
                        (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome) that can last up to 18 months.
                        huh?
                        no wonder we all have such a tough time really kicking the habit for good!
                        oh lord! I guess I really do have to be super vigilant!!
                        yuck.
                        oh well, it's better to know and be prepared.

Comment

Justin's Campral Notes

Hi everyone ,

I've read through the threads , have got my campral now & am planning to start tomorrow...its so good to hear how other people are doing . It sounded the best meds to me with the least side effects ..I am really scared about weight gain tho as I have gained several stone over the last 4 years& really dont want to gain any more!!!
                          BUT more than anything I want to gain some control over this demon that I havent been able to shake off .

Ever since I found the MYO website & read the book I have felt there maybe light at the end of the tunnel. I tried to do it without meds as I didnt want to take topomax but guess I do need that extra help. Well D-day tomorrow --hope I dont let myself down again.

Comment

Justin's Campral Notes

I have been taking campral for 4 days now I don't feel I have the symptoms most of you have. I feel really good but I am unable to do 2 pills 3 times a day because my mind won't shut off and I can't get any sleep. It reminds me a little like when I doing speed but my heart does not race. At work I am so much more focused and work longer before I feel tired. Does anyone feel this way?:new:

Comment

Justin's Campral Notes

:welcome:Hi Florida! Just early day's for you! you will get there try and take the pills three times a day if you can! you really need two so the medication will prevent the serious withdrawals! At night I would suggest you look into relaxation music and how to do breathing exercises.x:nutso:

Comment

Justin's Campral Notes

Hi Bubblex,
                                Please dont leave your campral on the shelf for months like I did. the Quicker you start the sooner you are going to feel great! I've been on it for nearly 2 month's now and I wake up in the morning so proud of myself! Peer pressure is sometimes annoying but when they say things like none drinkers are boring!
                                My reply is Piss Heads are tedious and some! x

Comment

Working...
                                X