Veritas takes the Baclofen plunge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a large sum of money stolen from me on Friday night.

Why?

Simply because I realised that I had "forgotten" to take my ante-buse for a few days and I could "risk" having a few drinks after work. I did not get drunk, but I got careless and left my cash in clear view for all to see. Is that just not a typical addict scenario?

Anyway, as much as ante buse helps, the cravings never really go. When I first heard of Baclofen, it just sounded too good to be true. I asked a Psychiatrist about it, and much to my suprise, she knew nothing about the drug in reducing cravings.

After a boozy weekend, I am just fed up. I am going to see a GP with lots of printed material and ask him to subscibe the medication for me. I seldom see a doctor, so this is going to be a bit of a shot in the dark. It is the same doctor who wrote me up for ante-buse after 2 other doctors had refused. They did not believe that my drinking problem was serious enough.

Just shows how the medical profession buys into all the myths about addiction.

I think my biggest concern about Baclofen is the worry about drowsyness and being spaced out. I am busy working on a new project that is going to require a lot of energy and motivation.

At the same time, I do think that my anxiety can sometimes get in the way of my work. I procrastinate on important matters because my anxiety levels build up without me even realising it. In particular I have an almost phobic reaction to picking up the phone to make vital calls. Maybe the baclofen could even help with that problem.

Anyway, here's to a new challenge

Just got back from the doctor. He was verrrrrrry happy to prescribe Baclofen for me. I have 1 month supply which is renewable for six months.

I was a bit alarmed at the price of the medication though. Thank goodness my medical insurance covers most of it. I still had to pay in R300 of the R1200 cost. I am going to take my first 5mg now and then again tonight. Lets see how it goes.

Comment

Good luck with it Veritas. Boy that is expensive but if it helps you to beat this, then that cant be counted in monetary terms.
      Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Veritas, I think you are in for a pleasant surprise here. Baclofen has been a GOD SENT to me and so many others. I only need 30mg ~ 40mg daily to stop all cravings but others seemed to need more.
        What really matters in not how much but the fact that it works !!! We are all different but still we can find a "medication" to stop those constant cravings and allow us to live normal happy life's.
        I feel mellow on Bac and it let me begin to look at the damage I had done from being held prisoner from AL. Such a relief to be able to see the world thru SOBER eyes. I wish you well and I feel sure you will find Baclofen to be your new best friend !!!
        sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Thank you so much for your encouragement.

Well, I want to give a quick feed back before I go to do some work.. to replace the money I so carelessly lost.

I was feeling a bit hung over this morning, so when I took the bac, my biggest concern was about the possiblity of increasing my nausea. After about 20 minutes, I started to experience a clomplete lack of tension in my muscles. My legs had that super relaxed feeling that I get after my first glass of wine.

I went with some family members to celebrate someone's birthday. Out came the wine, and I did not feel like tasting a drop. I felt so chilled that I did not want to ruin the moment with a fuzzy head.

I am willing to say that I could still be feeling a little of yesterday's relapse and there is a certain caution that comes with the memories of a bad, bad night. Some of my aversion might simply have been good common sense. Not that I have too much of that when it comes to AL.

What I will say is that never expected to feel such a physical reaction to the baclofen. It is not like tranquilisers. I hate tranquilisers. I hate that spaced out feeling, the mogginess and lack of clarity. This was more like watching a nice sunset.

Comment

Veritas,

First off, I want to say I hope it helps you as it has helped me. It is amazing.

Secondly, I agree with the difference in feelings. I hate tranqs and benzos. I drink on them anyway. It is almost like it lowers my resistance to not drinking.

Baclofen does something to me that truly helps me not want to drink.

Now, I am up to 120 mgs/day. (Sometimes 160 mgs/day) At this dosage, I do feel a bit tired. But, I am AF. I am a drink to blackout drinker, so a bit tired is nothing.

I have read that this tiredness will go away as my body adjusts. I hope so but even if it doesn't, I do some incredibly technical work. Not kidding. Serious stuff, and it has not affected my performance one bit. Actually, it has helped it because I am not drinking, waking up shaking and sick and having to drink to make that go away before I start my day.

Do I think about drinking? Yes. There have been times when I have thought, Wow, a nice drink would be so pleasant. BUT, I can brush that feeling aside within seconds. I was even around drinking on July 4th and did not take even on sip!! And did not feel deprived.

Baclofen is saving my life. I hope it makes your life better, too.

Love,
            Cindi
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

veritas;656244 wrote: Just got back from the doctor. He was verrrrrrry happy to prescribe Baclofen for me. I have 1 month supply which is renewable for six months.

I was a bit alarmed at the price of the medication though. Thank goodness my medical insurance covers most of it. I still had to pay in R300 of the R1200 cost. I am going to take my first 5mg now and then again tonight. Lets see how it goes.
              Veritas,

How many 5mg tablets did you get for R1200? It sounds excessive. I paid less than R700 for 200 x 5mg on 4RX. Your advantage is that you didn't have to wait for delivery. Grrrrrrrrrr.....
              I'll do whatever it takes
              AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Tipronic, I only received 90, 10mg tablets. It is however Lioresal, not Baclofen. When I raised my eyebrows, the pharmacist told me that he was unable to supply Baclofen, which is much less expensive. I think that it might have something to do with certain legalities. I get a bit confused with following what is possible and what is not with our changing pharmaceutical laws.

I am just so grateful to have the medication that I gulped for only a short time.

Cinders and Evie Lou, you really have been an inspiration. I have been reading your progress and it has pushed me to take the plunge. I have just taken my second tablet and am looking forward to that sense of relaxation.

I have always been aware that I have felt my anxiety at a very physical level. I do hope that the responses seen up to date will open the doors to a much better understanding of alcohol addiction.

Comment

It is wonderful you are getting such an immediate effect. Hopefully you will be one of the ones that needs a low dose to keep it affordable. Maybe you can ask the pharmacist more about why you can't get the generic. It might just be that they didn't have it in stock and can order it or a different pharmacy might have it. It is amazing to me that a dr. would say your alcohol intake "is not bad enough". Don't they know we often are lying to them about how much we drink out of embarrassment and they should generally double whatever we say? Besides, people who don't need help don't ask! I'm so glad you found a dr. that is working with you.

Comment

Just a report back. I am having a slightly euphoric response to Baclofen. It seems to be like living in the permanent "first wine" glow, but without the fuzzy feeling. I am also not feeling the expected tiredness, but rather I feel more alert than ever. In actual fact, I had a bit of a problem falling asleep last night. I did not mind at all, I was just too happy that the thought of a glass of wine to soothe me into bed was as inviting as eating sawdust.

Someone wrote in one of the other threads, sorry, I don't remember who, that the early impact of Baclofen might not be felt as it was busy handling the detox effects. I could accept that, as I have never had to detox. I am one of the fortunate/unfortunate people who would start to vomit after a few drinks and this would limit my intake. The vomiting would also put me off for a few days. However, once the memory was gone, the craving would return.

If one were to measure addiction by amount drunk at regular intervals, I could easily lie to myself that I had no problem. I measure my addiction by lost evenings, embarrassing social encounters, lost keys, missed opportunities, flirting with fantasy, boozy procrastination.

My addiction rests more on what I have not done, rather than what I have done

Two bottles of wine will have me vomiting, vomiting, vomiting. I will stop for a few days, and then the craving starts. My horrible hangovers have been my saviour, my godsend.

I am also a very small person and tend to be sensitive to most medication. I once fell fast asleep in the bath after taking phenergan for an allergic reaction. I do think that it also has an effect on the way I have responded. My dose of 5mg, would be the equivalent to 10mg for many people. This means that although I have just finished my first 15mg/24hours, that would be like 30mg for the average male.

I think that my response is very similar to Evie Lou's. I might also add that I have a bit of an attention deficit disorder. I have numerous post grad degrees and when I had to write an important paper, I would drink a couple of glasses of wine to keep me focused. It was the only way I could concentrate for any length of time. The next morning I would go through my boozy meaneringings, link my thoughts, create cohesion and submit a detailed and comprehensive piece of work.

I have a very fosused feeling at the moment. Anyone with ADD will tell you that they can feel very "all over the place".

There is a strong correlation between ADD and addiction. I would be so interested to hear if anyone else with ADD has this reaction to Baclofen.

Comment

welcome

Welcome Veritas to land of HOPE!

Good job and keep us posted on how you go.

Don't know anything about the ADD thing but bac has been a wonderful chillout for me in what is an impossible time so all good.

I think doctors don't know much about alcoholism because it is still viewed as a weakness of charactor and a lack of self control. Only someone who has been through this horrible addiction knows of the despair that someone goes through.

Take Care
                      Shas
                      Just keep on swmming, just keep on swimming!

Comment

veritas;656522 wrote: Tipronic, I only received 90, 10mg tablets. It is however Lioresal, not Baclofen. When I raised my eyebrows, the pharmacist told me that he was unable to supply Baclofen, which is much less expensive. I think that it might have something to do with certain legalities. I get a bit confused with following what is possible and what is not with our changing pharmaceutical laws.

Hi, veritas

They're one and the same thing - just different trade names. Next time, go to another pharmacy, or ensure that they have a cheaper generic available ahead of time.
                        I'll do whatever it takes
                        AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Thank for letting us know how you are doing. It is fabulous that such a small dose is helping so much. Does sound like you might be like EvieLou in that regard. I haven't heard of the ADD/addiction connection but if it is helping both that is fabulous. This may be a wonderdrug - addiction, ADD and anxiety! I am so happy so many are documenting their progress. I think we are one of the largest clinical trials going (although we aren't putting any on a placebo, way too much empathy/non objectivity for that) and are going to contribute a lot to the future of addiction treatment. Speaking of progress, anyone heard from Marbella?

Comment

Veritas,

Great news on the effects.

I am up to 140 mg /day 4 x day and it is a bit too much.

I am titrating back down to 120 mg/ 3 x day.

I am still sober!! YAY!!

Love,
                            Cindi
                            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Good going Cindi! That is wonderfull!

Comment

Working...
                              X