Consolidated Baclofen Progress Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a note on the progress of a bac newbie. I started taking the bac yesterday with only half a day so I took 10 mg. I had terrible stomach pains for several hours but they seemed to have gone away. Not sure if they were caused by the bac or not. Today I took 15 mg. I have a slight headache but not much else. Will keep posting as I titrate up. Good luck to all and I benefit from reading your progress. Also, I got Dr. A's book at the library and am reading it. Boy, he really had some journey.

Comment

Update

Hello all,

I have found this forum to be immensely helpful and felt I should also contribute something. So I humbly offer my baclofen story.

I am a binge drinker. Typically, I drink on Thursday evenings, make it to work on Friday (but not always...) and drink untilI black-out on Friday evenings. I am dead tired for a few days and experience withdrawal and anxiety. By Tuesday, craving sets in. I usually fight that until Thursday, at which time the cycle begins anew.

I read Dr. A's book (in French) back in October 2008. I ordered baclofen from GoldPharma, and began titrating in December. I started at 5 mg per day, and increased by 10 mg every third day. My cravings decreased in frequency and intensity almost from the start, but never quite disappeared. My main problem was somnolence. It was very bad - at 80 mg per day, I would nod off at work in the afternoon when at my desk. At 100 mg, it was bad news. Also, I was taking Effexor which also resulted in somnolence. I was, however, less inclined to drink heavily.

I couldn't go on like that, so I titrated back down to 40 mg. At that dose, somnolence was not an issue but cravings and heavy drinking returned. That was in late April 2009. I decided to wean myself off Effexor and to try baclofen at higher doses again. I had not reached my switch the first time and I desperately want to be AF or drink moderatley, if possible.

So I set up a schedule that would see me increasing doses by 5 mg every three days. I figured that would allow my system to easily deal with the increasing dose. I am currently at 65 mg per day, with very little somnolence. So things are looking good. Cravings are still there, but I am confident I will hit my switch and see them disappear.

I offer my baclofen titration schedule here:
      docs.google.com/View?id=dgvdg8br_108hp3hdrcr

As you can see from that schedule, my daily doses are divided into three equal or nearly equal amounts. As time goes by, if I do experience somnolence, I will change my approach and take a greater dose later in the day to avoid dozzing off at work. Perhaps I could also split the daily dose into four parts. I'll see how it goes. I also will allow for 20 to 40 mg prn on those occasions when I will experience cravings or feel particularly stressed.

I have calculated the monetary costs of taking baclofen. From GoldPharma, the cost is $0.30 per 10 mg capsule. At 80 mg per day, that's $73 a month; at 100 mg per day, that's $92.47 a month. Once I know the daily dose at which I can go through my days without the crazy cravings, I will begin an intensivee hunt for a doctor willing to offer me a prescription. Feel free to send me a personal message if you know one in the Montreal region.

That's it for now. I will be happy to read your comments and suggestions.

Thanks to all who contribute to this forum. You are making a difference in my life.

Peace,

- emvee

Comment

Hi All,

Sorry, I didnt mean to sound like a downer. I have moved up to 120 today. Lets see how that goes.

ME, I'm really surprised that you are experiencing insomnia. I have been a major insomniac for as long as I can remember, but on the Bac I am passing the hell out as soon as my head hits the pillow virtually.

You should try what BillP suggested, i think it was called Nytol.

And regarding my query about bac being a tool vs. a silver bullet, BillP PM'ed me and said "Zman, its a silver bullet".

But if thats true, why do people, including OA, who have hit their true off-switch, need a p.r.n. dose for cravings? Shouldnt you be cravings-free when you hit the off-switch??

Comment

And Prancy and Emvee,

Thanks for sharing your stories and progress.

Please keep doing so.

Comment

Hi Prancy, abdominal pain can be a side effect. I can remember when I first dosed up getting up in the night and doubling over from the pain. Haven't experienced it since.

Envee, thanks for sharing your experience. Yes I can imagine you were very sleepy taking 2 meds that could increase somnolence!! Sounds like you are doing well now...keep us updated.
            Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Zman, would be great to hear if you experience somnolence at 120mg. I went up to that dose and couldn't focus or keep awake!! Am going up to 100 today and will stay on that for a week or so before going any higher.
              Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

OK - day 2 on Baclofen - Titration is as per Bill P's recomendation and day 1 was no major problem. Day 2 so far so good.

Good Sleep last night and could do with a double espresso now - but apart from that no other major prob's.

The Alcohol Free part is non negotiable with me and doesnt feel un-do-able at this really early stage.
                Andy R:

Comment

j-vo;685679 wrote: Hi all,
                  I'm looking into buying the baclofen online. I've read a thread that explained where I could purchase online. I would like to do this on Sat. as I'm going away for the week. I just have one question. Does anyone here order online, and if so, how much do you order at one time. I don't want to order too few then run out. I guess I'm having a hard time doing the math and could use some assistance with this. I was going to purchase the 400 tablets then go from there. How long would that last (ballpark)? Thanks for your help.

I am going for 400 10 mg tabs per month and am going for a month in reserve in case of postal or pharmacy slip ups...
                  Andy R:

Comment

Thanks Cindi and Andy. I'm going to order this morning. I was going to wait until Sat. but I'm too anxious. I'll order the 400 to start and be careful that I reorder before I run out. Thanks for your help.
                    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

I ordered the bac online from Inhouse Pharmacy. Has anyone gone through them? It's a generic form of Bac. and the price for 400 was $106. Will that go directly to the post office if I have to sign for it?
                      Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Also, I noticed that these are 10 mg. tabs but the recommended dosage to start with is 15 mg. three times daily. Do you just break the tablet? I know, stupid question. Sorry.

Anyone on an antidepressant? I'm on Lexapro. I think I read that it's ok to be on the antidepressant. I'd be afraid to go off it.

Comment

Jvo,

Welcome and yes, you can break the pills in half.

Ive been on paxil for 8 years, and I find i need it less with the bac. Starting to ween myself off of it.

Comment

I think it is start with 5mg 3x/day for total of 15, then go to 10 3 x/day for total of 30. 45/day to start is way to much!. Yes, just break in 1/2 as best you can.

Comment

Amelia,

At 120, i feel the same amount of somnolence as at 105.

I also feel the same cravings.

Comment

Zman never underestimate the power of positive thinking. It will work and it is working even now to reduce cravings. Keep telling yourself.

I'm posting the links to 3 threads in this forum that are, IMO, the most important to read for those starting baclofen.

www.mywayout.org/community/f20/baclofen-32504.html

www.mywayout.org/community/f20/dr-ameisen-s-baclofen-cure-relevant-information-34919.html

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...ine-35483.html

Comment

Working...
                                X