Consolidated Baclofen Progress Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

beatle;730415 wrote: Mostly I had anxiety prior to when my drinking spiraled out of control. I think my circumstances, together with the anxiety, brought on the alcohol abuse, which worsened the circumstances, which brought on the depression.

I'm finding that more Bac at night and less in the day is helping with the mania.

However, the ingrained habits are still there.

I just need to apply more willpower at this point. I feel like I am in the place where most people (I mean non-alcoholic people) believe we all have always been... namely, that we COULD stop if we really wanted to. That we are just hopeless beings because we do not exert our willpower. I hope to someday get over the resentment I feel about this misconception (and lack of compassion) that surrounded me (and all of you).

But now that I really CAN if I just try... well, I will.
    I am at a similar place Beatle- I couldn't go up anymore without becoming non functional, and I have had some of the more scary side effects, like waking up and not being able to move- nightmares etc.

Hence I have gone back to bac and naltrexone- I am taking 15 mgs of bac a day to help with anxiety, and if I am going to drink, I take 25mgs of naltrexone an hour before as per the Sinclair Method.

This is working well for me- I don't like drinking with the naltrexone.

I get bad side effects from the Nal, nausea, etc, but it is nothing compared to the hangovers I used to get.

I was wondering if you could maybe force yourself into abstinence for a short time? Go to a spa or retreat or something (Sorry, because I know for most people, including myself, it isn't an option) just to get a few AF days in and maybe up the dose by another 10mgs?

That might do it for you.

Comment

Saw my old friend doctor yesterday. Have not been a patient of his for about 10 years. He is a D.O. and very skilled at chiropractic. Since that was my issue.........and I told him I took baclofen 20mg 4 times daily......He didn't even ask me why I took it............Just wrote the script! My insurance had a $10.00 Co-Pay. Sure beats the $$$ I have been spending for my internet purchases!

SOOO.......I will be going up to 100mg today.

Comment

Awesome Teba! I see my doc on the 27th, I don't think she will be that easy! I think she will go for it though.....I will definately explain that it has helped tremendously, and I will continue to do it without her help, but I'd rather have her in my corner.

I have been running out, and waiting for my order to arrive, and I have had to cut back on my Bac, and I have noticed a difference in cravings. Since cutting back, I crave more.......I hope my Bac comes soon!!!!!
        AF July 6 2014

Comment

beatle;730415 wrote: Mostly I had anxiety prior to when my drinking spiraled out of control. I think my circumstances, together with the anxiety, brought on the alcohol abuse, which worsened the circumstances, which brought on the depression.

I'm finding that more Bac at night and less in the day is helping with the mania.

However, the ingrained habits are still there.

I just need to apply more willpower at this point. I feel like I am in the place where most people (I mean non-alcoholic people) believe we all have always been... namely, that we COULD stop if we really wanted to. That we are just hopeless beings because we do not exert our willpower. I hope to someday get over the resentment I feel about this misconception (and lack of compassion) that surrounded me (and all of you).

But now that I really CAN if I just try... well, I will.
          Beatle, My depression was my pre-alcoholic issue. I could just never measure up to my own standards. Al always makes everything worse (circumstances, depression, measuring up).

Thanks for the tip to take take more at night. I'll try that. I'm hoping 100mg/day will get me to a place were I can apply willpower to control my intake. And 'yes' I do have a lot of resentment about the "If you want to" issue.

Comment

Great!!!!

Teba, that is great news!!!!! I see a "friend" doctor too, actually switched to him as my primary care doc, since I did research studies w/ him and stuff...... Actually went to Vegas w/ him, had a few beers w/ him and my hubby in the airport..... Bared my soul to him and took the article to him, he is SO cool, I truly LOVE him, as a person, caring doctor etc........ Seeing him today, actually in an hour, taking him the book...... I am freaking out now though since I got laid off last week, insurance expires at end of October......going to ask if he will double my rx, so I don't (hopefully!!?) run out before I get a job w/ benefits.... Really sucks to stress out, as I am drinkng more again, even on bac(cuz I can!?? Without problems!!???? I really CAN drink normally!!!! And I enjoy it!??)

Anyway, enough rambling, I am TRULY happy for you!!!! Just hope and pray that it works as well for you as it does for me!!!!

Lots of love!!!!:h

MA
            :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Well, I just wanted to add that I agree that the Baclofen helps tremendously. I can't even express how well it works.

However, like many here, I CAN still drink as shown by my horrible exploits last week.

So, I am continuing with the Baclofen but also continuing with everything else I need to work on to get into the nondrinker's mindset.

MA, so sorry to hear about you being laid off last week. Having been faced with possible firing due to my stupidity last week, I won't say it is for the best. I can say it is what it is and now you have to move forward and do something else.

Somedays, that is freaking hard, isn't it? At least sober, it is doable.

Love,
              Cindi
              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Cowgal...How did your doctor visit go?
                Mine gave me 3 months at 80mg/day. That along with 700 10mg tablets I have coming from mail order will allow me to titrate at will! I plan on going up fast and hope I hit the "switch" SOON.

Sorry you lost your job. That has to be a load of stress to pile on top of trying to get and stay sober!

Cinders...I want what you and Cowgal have achieved. To drink normally! I can tell from your tone you are not happy with your level of sobriety. Why is it that we pressure ourselves with our own standards that we can never achieve?

What is the every thing else you are doing? I can use ANY suggestions!

Comment

AA I think?

Cinders, you go to AA and take baclofen, right!? I am sorry you had a horrible relapse Cinders, just read on another thread to figure out what to hinting at ....

I, on the other hand have "really been cured" I am probably drinking more often than is "healthy", but I have nothing but time, am enjoying it, and can actually "have a few" and enjoy it without a total "relapse"..............what is your dosage Cinders??? I am at around 80mg a day spaced out, doing miraculosly great even considering stressing out over not having a job, the economy, having an asshole drunkard, pothead, deadbeat, sex feind(tmi I know!?) husband......I just feel it is all going to be ok.......it has GOT to be the baclfen doing this, as it is NOT the old me for sure!!!!!!!

Doctor talked me into keeping COBRA insurance, given that I recently had that hospitalization, am getting olde and stuff......just another expense I should be stressing over, that and the lady I was supposed to interview with hasn't called me back, oh well, maybe tomorrow!?!

Lots of love,:h
                  :l
                  MA

Comment

Wow, CG, you are downright amazing. And what's even more amazing is that you keep posting and giving all us others hope hope hope. How do you do it? You are definitely a super-hero-cow-girl.
                    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

beatle;733079 wrote: Wow, CG, you are downright amazing. And what's even more amazing is that you keep posting and giving all us others hope hope hope. How do you do it? You are definitely a super-hero-cow-girl.
                      I second that!! :thanks:

Comment

For you!!!!

It makes me feel so good that I can feel this way, I do post to give inspiration and hope hope hope, since a few months ago I felt HOPELESS!!!!! There is hope, at least I have found it!'. Finally!!!

MA:h:l

Comment

Cowgal, the bac has been a similar miracle for me. Your description of your husband makes me laugh - maybe you should post on the "Amusing side-effects of baclofen" thread I posted.

If we can't laugh at life, eventually, we're done for! One side-effect I would never have anticipated is the ability to cope with "having an asshole drunkard, pothead, deadbeat, sex feind" husband. Yikes! And you're still smiling! And I'm giggling.

I'm on 20/20/20 mg at the end of my first week and couldn't be more relieved and pleased, as well.
                          I'm actually feeling ALL of my emotions more intensely, and that's great for me, too!

Thanks for your uplift - and I love your horsey pic. I used to have an albino that s/he reminds me of, and that makes me smile, too.

Beth
                          "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

Sweet!!!

You are so sweet!!! Yeah, I love my baby, he is a grey QH, and I have a registers Arab mare, they are like a couple married old folks LOL:H:H

Going riding when I get back home from Orlando, cannot wait!

MA

Comment

I am 100% convinced 150mg is my switch.. met up with a bunch of friends and a bunch of people I didn't know at a local bar for buffalo wings and beer. When asked about the fact I brought bottled water I simply said "I have to get up early tomorrow so I'm not drinking tonight"

ALL of the usual triggers were firmly in place, accessibility AL, social anxiety of being around new people, wings , weekend night with no work the next day...

and nothing, I didn't try not to drink, I didn't waffle back and forth about "It's ok to have just one"... surrounded by all of my triggers I was completely at ease and for the first time in years spent my time at the bar actually having great lucid conversations till the wee hours. Of course the other side(s) of the conversations became less and less lucid as the evening wore on but I had an incredible time in what would normally be the belly of the beast where I used to have a great time by other means.

Drove all the way home at 2am with a s**t eating grin.

If anything was going to tempt fate last night would be it.... and the evening was effortless.. I'm officially indifferent to alcohol now.

I've got my life back and to all of you still trying to get there.. all I can say is keep going, fight through the side effects, keep moving up until you have what I have.

Comment

panda farts;734047 wrote: I

If anything was going to tempt fate last night would be it.... and the evening was effortless.. I'm officially indifferent to alcohol now.

I've got my life back and to all of you still trying to get there.. all I can say is keep going, fight through the side effects, keep moving up until you have what I have.
                                PF, it does feel great, doesn't it? I was very scared of being faced with drinking situations, especially since I don't intend moderating. I'm finding that it is easier than anticipated.

And I agree: hang in there, folks! Its worth the effort
                                I'll do whatever it takes
                                AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Working...
                                X